Turnout control on small layouts...

Seanem44

I converted to wire & tube years ago. Used to use the nylon tube cornard system with brass levers & angle cranks. Don't know if there still available. Fraction of the cost of point motors & more prototypical.  Bicycle spokes running in eyelets under the board with spring wire risers also worked very well on narrow boards.  

Used to use 'rod in tube' which worked really well - I had a lot of RC aircraft sleeved control rods and bell cranks and used those.

Nowadays I fit Tortoise point motors on my layouts as they are simply awesome and have the advantage of built in switches to control point feeds & you can easily wire in LEDs to provide route indication. Well worth the cost investment as they can be reused time and time again.

My layout is only 12 inches deep and 4 feet long, and also has 5 sets of points. I use wooden dowels running under the baseboard from back to front, with piano wire stuck in at right angles and coming up through the hole between the switchblades. I can work them from front or back, depending on whether I'm exhibiting or at home.

On previous layouts I've also used piano wire, or Slippery Sid flexible wire in tube, dug into a channel in the cork baseboard surface.

I think low-tech is best if the controls are within easy reach - and cheapest.

I'm just building an 8' x 2' layout with 6 points using Blue Point turnout controllers [http://www.newrailmodels.com/blue_point_instr.htm] Also available from Micro Mark.

These are manually operated devices which combine a tie-rod throw (like a Tortoise) and two frog polarity switches. I am using aluminium knitting needles as operating rods.

Hand-of-god operating manual point levers.  (I was going to use the Gem Mercontrol system, but the points I ended up using are a little stiff for wire-in-a-tube.)

If (when) I do another small layout I am likely to use wire-in-a-tube unless I use the same kind of points that I am using now.  If I do use them then I think that I would try to budget for some kind of point motor.

If using manual control how do you ensure you change the frog polarity? On my small layout I have use Peco motors just so I can fit the polarity switch underneath. If there is a way of changing polarity with manual operation I'd be very interested

If using manual control how do you ensure you change the frog polarity? On my small layout I have use Peco motors just so I can fit the polarity switch underneath. If there is a way of changing polarity with manual operation I'd be very interested

The lever frame in post 2 has a facility for a microswitch as well as manual control

There are a number of simple ways of achieving this without relying on a motor.

Take a look at this as an example...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/955/entry-9406-point-operating-mechanism-cheap-and-works-well/

In my case, a piece of piano wire projecting from the under-board dowel and pushing against the lever of a microswitch.

• RMweb Premium

Some ways for controlling frog polarity with manual points...

One of my friends who is good with woodwork used wooden pushrods with a piece of stiff wire through them, one end of the wire went into the hole in the Peco tiebar to change the direction, while the other end controlled a Peco accessory switch mounted under the wooden pushrod. Worked really well.

On one of my 0-16.5 layouts I had a eperate SPDT switch next to the bike spoke used to switch the points. Very simple to install and it did work, but if you changed the point and forgot the switch, everything shorted out. So not recommended.

On my current build OO layout, which is 13" wide and DCC. As mentioned earlier, point control is piano wire, with frog polarity switched by hex frog juicers. A bit expensive, but very easy.

Archived