If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Who is St Enodoc?

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

St Enodoc is, or rather was, a Cornish saint whose church lies half-buried by a sand dune across the Camel estuary from Padstow. It is also the name I have given to a station on at least three 00 layouts over the last 35 years, each of which has represented a different element of the railway scene in Cornwall in the 1950s - branch terminus, main line junction, and single-track passing station. The next layout will combine all of these (and more) in a large double garage to create the Mid-Cornwall Lines, featuring the ex-GWR main line, the Newquay branch and a fictitious connection from the ex-SR North Cornwall Line. Definitely a long-term project...

Having been a reader of RMWeb for a few years I have decided it was time to join and I hope contribute to as well as learn from the forums. I've been modelling for nearly 50 years, initially in the UK and now in Australia after a short sojourn in SIngapore on the way. My main interest is in operation, and I have enjoyed helping many friends and fellow club members operate layouts at home, at the club and at exhibitions over the years.

I'm looking forward to being part of the journey.

....lovely part of the world St E.

We've walked along the beach from Rock, past the golf course at St Enodoc and up to the headland where the famous poem for the fallen was written, several times. The views across the river to Padstow/along the Camel towards the estuary from our favourite roof top restaurant in Rock are quite something.

Welcome to the forum.   

Dave

....lovely part of the world St E.

We've walked along the beach from Rock, past the golf course at St Enodoc and up to the headland where the famous poem for the fallen was written, several times. The views across the river to Padstow/along the Camel towards the estuary from our favourite roof top restaurant in Rock are quite something.

Welcome to the forum.   

Dave

The views this clear blue morning, on the next section of the walk from Daymer Bay to Polzeath, were superb; not least because of the dozen or so seals sharing the breakers with the surfers!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

...I noted your address with envy John...one of our favourite areas. Our last holiday in the area was based in St Issy and included switching coasts to the St Mawes area on a couple of days.

Did you manage any pictures today?

Dave

...I noted your address with envy John...one of our favourite areas. Our last holiday in the area was based in St Issy and included switching coasts to the St Mawes area on a couple of days.

Did you manage any pictures today?

Dave

Sadly, no. Whenever we take the camera, it turns dull and there's nothing out of the ordinary to see / photograph.

When we don't take it, there's always a reason to wish that we had done so!

We'll have to get a much more powerful lens, though - our present telephoto is fine for the garden wildlife, but greater magnification is needed for cliff-top marine wildlife photography.

The photos below, taken a year ago, give a sense of this morning's walk.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

post-2274-0-34923100-1385828445_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-49186300-1385828482_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-90659000-1385828512_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Welcome aboard St Enodoc - seem to remember building some signals and weathering some Ian Kirk china clay wagons for version 1 - how time flies when you are having fun(!)

Barry O

Is the coastal part beneath the white cottages in John I's photo called The Greenaway? Title of a Betjeman poem, I think.

My first visit to Padstow was on the little ferry from Rock, in the late '50s

Yes.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome aboard St Enodoc - seem to remember building some signals and weathering some Ian Kirk china clay wagons for version 1 - how time flies when you are having fun(!)

Barry O

Indeed you did, for the Leeds Exhibition in 1981 - and Mrs Barry O will no doubt remember gluing lichen on the layout on the morning of the show, and we all ended up with bright green fingers!

Anyone who wants to know what we are talking about can have a look at Railway Modeller, December 1987. That particular layout was later sold to a work colleague and became an S&D branch, with the china clay dries replaced by a wagon works - Timsbury I think he called it.

• RMweb Premium

The views this clear blue morning, on the next section of the walk from Daymer Bay to Polzeath, were superb; not least because of the dozen or so seals sharing the breakers with the surfers!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks Dave and John I. We used to go to Cornwall for family holidays in the 1960s. My brother and I would leap off the dunes at Daymer Bay to see who could jump further. Having said that, our favourite beaches were Trevone Bay on the North coast and Polkerris on the South.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome aboard from a Cornish exile down under who is also modelling the WR - SR "no man's land" between Padstow and Newquay.

While my own family connections are farther west father was evacuated twice from London to farms near the Camel and St. Enodoc, at Tregellist and Chapel Amble so it's an area I know rather well.

I look forward to your future contributions here.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome aboard from a Cornish exile down under who is also modelling the WR - SR "no man's land" between Padstow and Newquay.

While my own family connections are farther west father was evacuated twice from London to farms near the Camel and St. Enodoc, at Tregellist and Chapel Amble so it's an area I know rather well.

I look forward to your future contributions here.

Thanks Rick. Your layout captures the feel I am aiming for although it represents a later period than mine.

Hello St E,

Welcome to the forum.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

• RMweb Gold

Hello St. E and welcome,

Your photo in post #19 gives a feel of a great deal of space. What was the dimensions of the layout?

Happy RMweb surfin'!

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

Kev, thanks for your comments. That particular layout was about 9 ft x 7 ft, to fit into a spare room. The boards were all 2 ft deep, so the operating well in the middle measured about 5 ft x 3 ft. The station was on one side with the fiddle yard on the other. I have used the past tense as the layout is currently dismantled, but the scenic part will be incorporated into the new, larger layout referred to in post 1.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend a week in Cornwall in September and followed the Betjeman Trail. The walk across the golf course and the visit to St Enedoc's church was wonderful and like so many others we completed the round trip by walking out on to the beach and back to the car park along the beach watching the sail boarders. We then we called in to the Betjeman Centre which is housed in the old Wadebridge Station. As you can see the old goods shed is also preserved. What a beautiful part of the world this is.

Across the Camel estuary of course sits Padstow, again with its old station building extant, and it must be the only place in the world where you need to catch a Park-and-Ride to visit a fish and chip shop!

post-3148-0-94878700-1388343143_thumb.jpg

post-3148-0-28083600-1388343164_thumb.jpg

post-3148-0-17316700-1388343182_thumb.jpg

post-3148-0-01249700-1388343203_thumb.jpg

Archived