Hornby 2014 - predictions

rovex

Predictions or hopes?  I don't see anything NER being a quick way to cash flow, unless re-doing some existing and accessible tooling.

It will be an interesting pointer to the future for Hornby, as in the state of their capacity to manufacture quality RTR 00 models. They may in fact go for such as B12 tooling and the toy end of the market, with trainsets and computer or device-driven model trains,  or try to cover all the bases as they have done in the past.

I predict no 4-4-0 ,  and then I think, I wonder where the tools are for the Hunt or Shire class?  And what would it cost to upgrade the running gear?  Since I don't know these things, I will just wait and see.

• RMweb Gold

Vet; "I'm sorry sir, but I'll have to put your dog down. He's frothing at the mouth....."

Client " I know, he can read these pages!"

I thought the punchline to this joke was the vet explaining to the client that the dog was too heavy to hold.

Predictions or hopes?  I don't see anything NER being a quick way to cash flow, unless re-doing some existing and accessible tooling.

It will be an interesting pointer to the future for Hornby, as in the state of their capacity to manufacture quality RTR 00 models. They may in fact go for such as B12 tooling and the toy end of the market, with trainsets and computer or device-driven model trains,  or try to cover all the bases as they have done in the past.

I predict no 4-4-0 ,  and then I think, I wonder where the tools are for the Hunt or Shire class?  And what would it cost to upgrade the running gear?  Since I don't know these things, I will just wait and see.

Someone doesnt know NER operation then!

It was the same for North Eastern Railway as it was for the North Eastern Region... anyone modelling the area wouldnt want just one Q6, youd buy four or five to get the area modelled accurately. That at the moment, where repeat sales means generated income for some time surely would be a good thing.

There is greater interest in the North East over the last few years and it seems to be growing more. Not just that but regardless of whatever is annouced modellers and collectors will still buy the new models. A Q6, B16 or J21 would be fantastic choice, better I dare say than your B12, but personally, Im still sticking to predicting the K1 and that S15...  

I confess that modelling NER engines and stock might bring good sales, I have no idea how many would be needed to cover the cost of production of a high quality Q6 or Q7, and I think Bachmann more likely to attempt such. Or a J37 perhaps. 

What's the point in Hornby doing a new one when Bachmann would just need to alter the underframe details? Hornby can do great jobs with diesels; class 60 for example, but I'm sure most people would rather have Bachmann change there's.

Did I ever say Hornby is doing one? I merely said that when it comes to detail Hornby "WOULD" have done a better job. People on RMweb do tend to just misinterpret posts... DISAGREE hastily and then continue.

Dear lord... RMweb is getting worse day by day!! Petty issues. It's such a silly thing I'm sure many just hit DISAGREE when they see a few ratings like that. Sad that no one tries to understand anything.

• RMweb Gold

All new, ONE of these: S.15, Air-smoothed MN, 47xx, or just maybe a Lord Nelson (Bachmann have left upgrading theirs rather a long time).

Recycled into Railroad: the old-style Battle of Britain (last done as Lord Beaverbrook IIRC)

Range extensions (tools already exist) 'Bude' in Brunswick green/late emblem with cut down tender (unless they are waiting to do it alongside 'Biggin Hill' to mark the 50th anniversary of the S&D closure specials in 2016.....).

Upgrade  Potential improvements to Hornby's ex-Airfix and ex-Lima items were virtually ignored until the 4F was "got at" and I reckon the Dean Goods is a prime candidate for a new loco-drive/DCC chassis. I also think all three Siphons with new underpinnings to modern spec and a choice of bogies would sell like hot cakes.

John

And how about the NER/LNER G5 0-4-4T.

It is similar in shape to the Hornby SR M7, so if they have sone that, why not a G5.

Hoping for some NER locos in the near future.

Mark in Oz

I don't get it...., are you suggesting they do a simple relivery job on the M7 (that almost looks like a lot of other locos) as they've done with every small tank engine and end up with a ficticious model that won't sell, as producing the model accurately will require a complete re-tool anyway.

Did I ever say Hornby is doing one? I merely said that when it comes to detail Hornby "WOULD" have done a better job. People on RMweb do tend to just misinterpret posts... DISAGREE hastily and then continue.

Dear lord... RMweb is getting worse day by day!! Petty issues. It's such a silly thing I'm sure many just hit DISAGREE when they see a few ratings like that. Sad that no one tries to understand anything.

???

LNER G5 would be a good choice. It would be popular at least three liveries and very pretty in NER LIvery . It is further enhanced in that a replica is being built at the moment too, and that appears to becoming a popular trend rtr doing link ups with replica builds. e.g Tornado and SR Atlantic.

• RMweb Gold

As this is a prediction thread, I'll go with:-

about 97% of these predictions (including mine) will be way off.

The other 3% will be about right, but not quite.

Hornby will still produce what it wants to, regardless of whatever we would ask them.

Perhaps we ought to think where Hornby are in the model railway market. They sometimes make the lesser stuff, but it's the lesser stuff that sells to mums & dads for little Johnny to play with. If it gets knocked about, that's too bad. Would you rather Little Johnny play with a Hornby pannier, or a Bachmann one? Hopefully, Little Johnny will grow up, to realise that there is a whole world of difference between the two.

I sometimes think the confusion arises at our level. We seem to have confused Hornby with turning out excellent stuff at all times, whereas they have tasked themselves with painting with a far broader brush. Sure, some of Hornby kit is top notch, but that's at the extreme end of the pendulum. Swing it the other way, and it's pure Aaargh! Pedants, such as ourselves, will always look at the top stuff, and get all worked up when new product doesn't meet our expectations or desires.

If we take our friendly GW tank as an example. Hornby didn't exactly cover themselves with glory. However, I'm fortunate that I've got some NuCast ones tucked away. It's down to me to make these into a quality job, no-one else. I'd guess that it's down to the individual to assess whether he'd like a quality built PDK model, (with the attendant cost) or is willing to accept the Margate Model. Where we've gone wrong, is to snap up whatever is going, regardless of quality, or cost. Then, having bought it, complain! I sit firmly in this group, so I am equally to blame.

If I was at Hornby, I would have deliberately put the wrong spoke wheels onto the Star, just to wind up the pedants among us, including myself in that group. Just psychology really, after taking a panning over their last GW model. What happens when a North Eastern J comes out, and it's poor? Will it still fly off the shelves? I guess so....

So, Hornby will still go their merry way, and foist onto the public, what they see fit. Our watchwords should be 'caveat emptor- let the buyer beware' If we stopped buying the lesser Hornby stuff, and kidding ourselves, then you can bet that Hornby will up the game, very quickly.

I should say, that I hope Hornby do indeed 'up' the game.

Ian

Personally, I'd like something truly Scottish. As far as I can tell the only thing that fits that is the old Hornby J83...

Granted Bachmann made the D11/2 but that's a GC design adapted for Scotland. The V1/V3 were general use engines across three regions; the L1 was intended to be used in Scotland but didn't happen. The NBL Class 43 Glasgow built and used on the Western, likewise the Dapol 22. Heljan did the 27 and 26 but they were used on different regions starting with the Eastern.

There were plenty of indigenous locos that lasted to the end of Scottish steam in 1967 (2 x NBR J36s drew the curtain down on steam up here) and lots of lovely wee* and big locos.

With the forthcoming referendum possibly Hornby will produce something Scottish to show the voters what they'd miss if they chose to leave the Union and therefore encourage them to stay!

Paul

* translation - Small

• RMweb Gold

You are aware that Hornby do make a 66 and it's ruddy awful, aren't you? So Hornby do make one (albeit a Lima rehash), and it's worse than the Bachmann one by a long way. Hence why so many people disagreed with you.

On top of that, Hornby's track record with diesels is fairly average. The 60 and 08 is a hit most certainly, but stuff like the 50, 31 and the 56 have their problems, and the 67 has its weak points too. It's no guarantee that a new 66 from them would be streets ahead of the Bachmann shed. 

• RMweb Premium

Except the loco is 08 839, a Laira loco. That's why I am interested if Hatton's set is 08 379, but even so, 60 pounds is a good deal.

BUT... You also get one of the 20T brake vans - which is a nice model. Grrrrr.

Indeed it is, as I suggested in post #283 above. Bachmann has changed the 08 to a LA one (so correct for St Blazey) and the loco is now different to the separate release 08021 in that 08839 has red buffers and con rods (the cab door is correct too). Bachmann appears to be copying this http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p191445442/h60D47B99#h60d47b99

• RMweb Premium

Interesting points

Re K1 do you think that Hornby actually look at the parts produced when deciding on new introductions or is each model designed from new ? I remember some time ago, I think related to Hornby, that they created a new chassis for each model regardless of whether they already made a similar model. I know from our point of view it makes sense to utilise common parts, but I wonder if Hornby even realise that there are common parts. And even if they did, if they are using a different manufacturing source from original might they not have to design from new?   I really wonder if this common parts thing in determining if new models will be made is a red herring.

Still think Hornby big engine policy rules.

Unrebuilt MN

Possibly a V2 in Railroad (undercut Bachmann) and Main Range

Possibility of a Large Atlantic  pipping Bachmann to the post

Collett coaches

As usual, very little for modern image  or BR Blue eras

What I'd like to see:

Mk3s in Swallow/Exec livery with the proper coloured beige, not that horrible custard yellow (both HST and loco-hauled variants)

Retooled Class 156 in provincial livery

What do I think we'll see:

Possibly some Scotrail Mk3s

Mainly clearing the backlog of models they haven't been able to release this year. 

• RMweb Premium

I'd like Scotrail Mk3s to go with my Bachmann 47/7 and would buy to go with forthcoming Bachmann DBSO, but I can't see that Hornby will be particularly disposed to making them. Maybe a limited edition, from Harburn in Edinburgh?

I'd like Scotrail Mk3s to go with my Bachmann 47/7 and would buy to go with forthcoming Bachmann DBSO, but I can't see that Hornby will be particularly disposed to making them. Maybe a limited edition, from Harburn in Edinburgh?

I'd like stronger reading glasses. PLEASE increase the size of your font!

I expect you type your replies in Word before transferring them to RMweb. Converting them to FONT SIZE 14 on Rmweb will do the trick. :good:

I predict... a disappointment for modern era fans! :)

Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT OF POST - You are aware that Hornby do make a 66 and it's ruddy awful, aren't you? So Hornby do make one (albeit a Lima rehash), and it's worse than the Bachmann one by a long way.........................

And that toy shop in Regent Street were trying to charge £123 for it the other night!

Interesting points

Re K1 do you think that Hornby actually look at the parts produced when deciding on new introductions or is each model designed from new ? I remember some time ago, I think related to Hornby, that they created a new chassis for each model regardless of whether they already made a similar model. I know from our point of view it makes sense to utilise common parts, but I wonder if Hornby even realise that there are common parts. And even if they did, if they are using a different manufacturing source from original might they not have to design from new?   I really wonder if this common parts thing in determining if new models will be made is a red herring.

I think they quoted some commonality around the GWR 28xx/42xx/72xx, but this must have been at the initial CAD stage.

But then again there is the Limby 87, it kept it's shorty bogies and even had them altered to suit a new power bogie when scale length ones were already under their 90, and then it received a re-tooled base for the high-speed pan instead of having it's incorrect roof adjusted....

Archived