The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Quality of spam nowadays

JCL

I do particularly like one I had last year as a text:

'Congratulations, you have won £250,000 in our draw. Just send your bank details and we'll deposit the money for you'

Excellent, except I live in Australia.....

• RMweb Gold

See that Amazon is the current target of choice for the Spammers. I have had five fake e-mails supposedly from Amazon in the last two days. Makes sense with so many people having current orders with them.

Be very  careful with any e-mails that claim to be about your order.

Better still, shop locally!

• RMweb Premium

More worryingly, spams are also getting very sophisticated, particularly with regard to artwork, typefaces, etc.. I have recently had emails from Paypal and HMRC that looked very authentic, except that they were asking questions that sounded alarm bells. I can understand why people are fooled into answering them or opening the attachments.

Then again you have to wonder why people bother even speaking to some phone calls. Today on my mobile I had a call from +5541 - that's it just those 5 characters, which according to Google, at best is Brazil. Since it looked totally bogus, I answered it & promptly hung up.

• RMweb Premium

Fake Govt ones are particularly tempting to the gullible.

SWMBO keeps asking why I don't reply to the ones on our business e-mail from Companies House about a complaint against our company.

DOH! Because we are not a company.

You mean I'm not going to get a tax refund from HMRC, even though I didn't pay any tax in the first place?

I do particularly like one I had last year as a text:

'Congratulations, you have won £250,000 in our draw. Just send your bank details and we'll deposit the money for you'

Excellent, except I live in Australia.....

When I started to read the first line, I thought you were referring to your Russian bride!

• RMweb Gold

Ah, a Russian Bride with £250,000 in her draws, I do hope Santa manages to shove one down my chimney this year!

Santa's outsourced it to Yodel this year.  You'll get a card and someone further along the street will get the gift.

Not too surprised that people get confused with spam, when an 'official' operation like televison licencing near simultaneously sent me messages demanding that I pay my overdue licence fee renewal and the confirmation that I had successfully choked up the cash using their online service. Quality official BBC spam, paid for by our licence fee...

Nothing wrong with acquiring a Russian bride ...

I only know one such, and after twelve years (and having contributed to the gaiety of the nation with two stunning young daughters) she still refers to the UK as "This paradise for women".

• RMweb Gold

I once got a call from the "bank" to talk about some issue, and the first thing I was asked were answers to security questions. I wasn't happy about this, so I said, tell you what, let me call you back (on the published phone number) and I'll asked to be put through to you. Turned out it was the bank after all, but I then had piece of mind I wasn't giving my details out to someone I wasn't sure about. :)

• RMweb Gold

I once got a call from the "bank" to talk about some issue, and the first thing I was asked were answers to security questions. I wasn't happy about this, so I said, tell you what, let me call you back (on the published phone number) and I'll asked to be put through to you. Turned out it was the bank after all, but I then had piece of mind I wasn't giving my details out to someone I wasn't sure about. :)

I had the same thing a couple of years back (HSBC) though to be fair they had thought about it more than some organisations and IIRC she told me some parts of data and I completed the other half so we were both happy, but in general if people phone me and ask me for details I refuse.

What REALLY annoys me is when I say something like 'I don't give out persoanl information to unsolicited callers' and they reply saying something like 'It's not personal data is just your name/address/postcode......'  - end of conversation.

Be very carefull - there is a loophole here that scammers can exploit.  If they call you, and you put the phone down on them, and they don't, the line will stay connected for two minutes. If you call any other number in this two minutes, it will not work as you are still connected to them. What they then do is then play a fake 'ring tone', after they hear you 'dial' and have someone else 'answer' it (so as not to have the same voice) and because you think you just 'dialed' the geniune number for your bank you believe that is who you are talking to, and 'put you through' (ie hand the phone back) to the original  scammer.  So make sure that you wait at least two minutes before picking up the phone and dialing that number.

• RMweb Gold

I thought modern digital exchanges now permitted call termination from the receiving end of the conversation, in the good old days you couldn't hang up an incoming call but I thought that had changed.

That certainly was the case - I remember on the odd occasion someone called me and did not replace the reciever properly when they finished. Line was stuck open and unusable until they did. I suspect that it may have been changed so that the line clears after two minutes instead of never.

What Titan describes is still happening. My Mother was recently rang out of the blue to say that someone had found her credit cards and handed it to the Police. They claimed to be from the Police and gave her a number to ring. The idea being that once 'verification' was complete they would then have asked her for bank details etc to transfer money to a safe account or variations on this scam. There have even been instances of the 'bank' sending a 'courier' after the person has been asked to withdraw money. They then arrange to deposit it in another safe account, giving some cock & bull story about it being quicker and more secure this way (yes the elderly have fallen for this). The number my Mother was given was a genuine Met Police number. However, rather than ring it, she told the chap on the line that she would get me to ring. This of course severed the link, although she didn't know at the time. I rang the number and was told that this was almost certainly a scam, although I had my suspicions as, even though she had lost a credit card some 12 months previously, having been mugged, it seemed a bit of a coincidence that someone would have found it in London and been able to trace her. What did impress me was that within five minutes. the Met. had 'phoned the West Mids. police which covers the area where she lives, and they had 'phoned me to see if I wanted to make a formal report. They then asked if I wanted a Police Officer to go to my Mom's and re-assure her. I said that that wouldn't be necessary, so they offered to 'phone her instead, which I said she would no doubt appreciate.

• RMweb Premium

Here in the uk we still have 'calling party release' conditions (They pay for the call after all) so that you can transfer to another phone by hanging up and picking up on another phone. Only international calls are on 'first party release' as this then clears the expensive international circuits.

BTW they would have to play dial tone for that scam to work, and then drop the dial tone after you dial the first digit (very tricky to do by ear with DTMF). The likes of me with a 'proper' phone would really confuse them, it's not so easy to hear loop-disconnects!

It's better not to ask them about the number to call them back on. Tell them that you know it and ring back on a published number from your bank statement.

The best way would be to set up some security questions of your own with the bank. They will do it, you just have to push it with them.

Andy G

Pated below is some very fine spam purporting to come from Amazon

The words 'Verify Now' was an active link (now deactivated) to the Brazilian site shown immediately below it.
I did not vist the site - It was probably quite innocent and has been hijacked for this purpose by some sleazoid in Russia.
The absence of correct punctuation and syntax is a dead give away to anyone who might take a closer look...

I appreciated the way the message ended - anyone falling for this piece of chicanery is going to wind up with their worst nightmare instead.

Dear Customer
Your Amazon.com Account is unauthorized. Please Verify your 

billing information and your Credit Card A failure to Verify your information may result on a suspension of your account

Verify Now

"carlossalgado.com.br/amazon-login"

Here's hoping you get every single thing you're dreaming of!
Your friends at Amazon.com

Amazon.com
Earth's Biggest Selection
Find, Discover, and Buy Virtually Anything

Archived