Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Nelson Mandela passes away

Mike at C&M

Sad news that we have been expecting for some while. A great Statesman, the like of whom we are unlikely to see again. His spirit and drive for reconciliation after the end of Apartheid was remarkable.

Nelson Mandela RIP.

A truly great man who led his country into a new dawn.

God bless him.

"We have triumphed in the effort to implant hope in the breasts of the millions of our people. We enter into a covenant that we shall build the society in which all South Africans, both black and white, will be able to walk tall, without any fear in their hearts, assured of their inalienable right to human dignity — a rainbow nation at peace with itself and the world."

• RMweb Gold

I, along with millions of others, can remember watching him being released from prison. I was only 4 at the time and was told by my parents to watch this as it was very important. Aged 4 I didn't really think much of it, however looking back as an adult as to at what he achieved it is remarkable. The late 80s and early 90s really did see a massive shift to a more democratic world - although there is still a very long road to travel before the globe reaches a truly democratic state. I consider myself very lucky to witness this changing world.

R.I.P Nelson - You were and still are a real inspiration.

Nick

I was honoured to shake his hand when he visited Australia in 2000. Many people have said he had a powerful aura about him and felt an amazing positive, inspirational vibe just being in his presence. I had never understood how that could be possible, until the second he walked into the room. That is an experience I will never, ever forget.

RIP.

• RMweb Premium

Tata

Madiba

Rolihlahla "Nelson" Mandela

However you knew him you could not avoid his presence and influence on the planet and among his own people.

A man of immense physical and charismatic stature, of great and influential power yet of great humility only too willing to acknowledge others in his people's way forward and that he was only one of many who led his country out of the mire of apartheid and into a leading example of racial unity.

Free - free at last!

We who are left shall continue to benefit from his legacy and example but are much the poorer for his passing.  Ta-ta Tata.  And thank you.

• RMweb Premium

Mandela might not have been perfect, but none of us are. Then again, I wonder how many of us could respond with such generosity of spirit and forgiveness as he did. He was a truly great person and inspiration.  That one of the first of my friends to comment and mourn his passing on Facebook happened to be a fairly tough white ex-pat South African former policeman  speaks volumes.  

I've taken my lead from the crowds outside Mandela's home and have been celebrating his life by playing some joyous, uplifting township music rather loudly!  :sungum:   I heartily recommend the Indestructible Beat of Soweto

Ralph

Lambton58

I can't help noticing that the entire BBC became the Mandela broadcasting corp. Now I agree its a major news story and the passing of a great man but, as others have said, it wasn't exactly unexpected. To have blanket coverage on BBC news is fair enough, even though there was nothing new to add but to have it taking over nearly the entire BBC for several days was a bit much. It got annoying when I settled down to watch Have I got news For you that I had recorded only to find it replaced by yet ANOTHER eulogy to Nelson Mandela.

Hope I don't come across the wrong way here but I find the whole thing total overkill.

The schizophrenic or fake sign language interpreter was a real shame though....

According to the relevant sign language body, that fella was a fraudster.

Not the first time he's been caught at it, either. Probably he has internal connections within the ANC, otherwise he'd never have got the gig in the first place.

Archived