Trent Valley Show - 2014

Northpoint

i've landed back in bongo bongo land at 22.15pm,i've been dancing outside in the rain and finally cooled down,next year we need to book rain or snow!!!,i must have lost 30lbs,no sorry that should read £30 on Fridays beer(really friendlly landload,kept asking if we wanted more beer,well it would be rude to say NO!),finally repaid my outstanding debt to  Roger N and Chris G,though Roger did have a bit of a panic attack and was sweating like a pig,he though he was going to have to buy a round!!!! (can pigs fly)

thanks to Nick and all involed for another great show,didn't get and photo's camera battery packed up,guess what i forgot!!

Hope everyone enjoyed 59th & rust and weren't dissapointed,had a couple of problems with couplings in the afternoon,put this down to the heat,but other than that it ran well,also got a couple of more Alcos for the layout(there where a few people calling me Alco all weekend or was it alcoholic!!!!)

See you all next year, only 365 days to go!!!!,time for Chris to get rid of that mental block (must be something to do with supporting Wolves,come on you Baggies)

Ray

You and me both!

I didn't want to tell Nick that I'd never actually operated the layout until this morning - I figured he had enough on his plate as it was! :D

Still, the punters seemed to enjoy my clumsy switching, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Despite all the advice, pointers and assistance from everyone, both here and throughout today, no one told me how mentally draining the day would be! Switching takes some SERIOUS brainpower!

Dear Daniel,

Believe the advise some weeks ago RE "auto shuttle" capability for P2P layouts indirectly addressed this... ;-)

As you have now found first-hand, exhibiting is tremendously rewarding and fun, but it's both a physical and mental challenge,

and involves equal measures of "endurance/survival of the fittest", "marathon", and "sprint" approach/mindsets.

this is just one of the factors that wil need to be covered in the previously-mentioned vapourware "so you want to build and show and exhibition layout" book... ;-)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Dear TVNAM exhibitors/punters/photobombers,

Firstly, thankyou soooooo much for posting the pics,
those of us "there in spirit" greatly appreciate it!

Now, 2ndly, for those of you who may also happen to be on MRH, please post some of the pics there,
with the points-made that:
- it doesn't have to be a minimum 4x8 to qualify as a "layout"
- the modelling challenges and projects are just as fun, and equally as valid as any "larger layout"
- the modelling quality could kick many US-based "talk is cheap" contributors around the block a lap or 2
- the punters loved it
- and in the time that many US-based modeller whine/complain/doth-protest that they "can't build a layout" for whatever reason,
modellers _outside_ the US have built _many_ layouts to _award-winning_standard_,
(IE speed-of-build =/= lacking in finesse, details, quality, or ops-capabilities)

and had a ball doing so...

(Prof takes a deep breath, and climbs down off the soapbox)

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

I made it up as I went along, seemed to go ok...

DaveB, I had no running order for the locomotives, so I just ran whatever I picked out of the stock box. The general public seemed to enjoy it and no one questioned it so it seemed to be a success.

DaveB, I had no running order for the locomotives, so I just ran whatever I picked out of the stock box. The general public seemed to enjoy it and no one questioned it so it seemed to be a success.

I should think that's what most of us did!!! With these sort of layouts I don't think Timetable or Sequence Operations are really needed. Punters often don't watch for long enough to follow that sort of thing anyway, although personally I did have several viewers return time & again, & stay awhile, but I think that was mostly a fascination with the track, as there was nothing spectacular about the switching operation itself!!

• RMweb Premium

Back home in Chorley after a really enjoyable afternoon at friendly TVNAM - congratulations on another great exhibition show Nick.

Excellent range of layouts and traders - already looking forward to 2015.

See you next year, this time bringing 29th Street Wharf.

post-6729-0-78753500-1402826625_thumb.jpg

Archived