'Ashcombe'

georgeT

• RMweb Gold

I find that having at least one siding facing the opposite way makes for interesting shunting as it introduces run round moves mid shunt.  I also found that having a long siding with say two unloading spots e.g yard crane and coal staithes could be more interesting than two short ones as you often need to move some wagons to get others.

Don

Morning Don,  Having shunted for a while l have come to realise that its wrong and boring l need a better track plan to make it more interesting, The Baron of railways is coming up in a few weeks for the day so l hope he can help out..

George

• RMweb Gold

You can make a layout interesting to operate in a small space. Apologies for the poor photo this was my 0 gauge exhibition layout Sparrow's Wharf 9ft 10in x26in. There were two sidings at the front in opposite directions a run round loop and the main line from a cassette came in to the middle of the run round. Trains were limited to a small loco plus about six wagons. To exchange six with some of the existing leaving some still their could take some time (especially with 3 links) because the headshunts at either end of the loop were short it too some thought as to how to do it.

post-8525-0-52644200-1393453241_thumb.jpg

This could be done in 5ft in 4mm

Don

Morning Don, Looked a very nice layout, with lots of interest, l know what you mean about the three-links l really struggled with 0 would be even worse in 00, saying that l am quite happy with the 00 tension lock couplings (after a lot of tweaking that is)..

George

Hello Bodge, Thinking l need three sidings in the loco / coal yard, in front of the fiddle yard and at the other end three sidings with the goods shed, and the station will have a bay and the usual run-round loop, so plenty of things to ponder over...

George

Morning Bodgit, l think we all copy someone or something along the way, anyway l have taken on board all the advice from yourself, Ray and Richard over the right chips for the loco stud on 'Ashcombe' and have a few chips in the post from Digitrains, so will post when l have installed them ?

George

God luck with your chip fitting mate, Mike and I are going to the Mansfield Show tomorrow so you never know just what I may come home with, then I need to save some money for Nottingham.

I'll be at Nottingham helping Nick Pallett run his Dutch Layout.

Andy :sungum:

Hello Bodgit,  Well had great fun installing various chips, even blew a Hornby chip up in smoke when it touched the metal motor, still you live and learn (won't be doing that again ?

Been busy at 'Ashcombe'  today making a small cattle dock up out of a much butchered Ratio kit have decided to add another 3' on the end to give a more interesting layout ?

George

post-7716-0-69364000-1393680472_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-05627600-1393680477_thumb.jpg

Morning Bodgit,  No station at this time, what l am doing is just the engine shed and the goods shed the extra 3 feet will give me the extra siding l need and more room for shunting ?

Finally got the Bachmann chip to fit, but broke off bits on the loco as the brake gear is so flimsy, still have to fix and re-fit the whistle, also changed the early crests to the later one on the M7 and the std 3 tank...

post-7716-0-80206200-1393868811_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-45954300-1393869028_thumb.jpg

Hi mate, Nice re branding job George, I will have to dig out my Black 5's to get the crests changed on those as well. Have you seen what Jason has done to his ones in Kirkby Kuneside?

Will an extra 3ft satisfy your needs, (I may need to re right that if the Moderators see it) but you know what  mean, will it give you the extra siding and will it make it more playable?

Andy :sungum:

So 'Ashcombe' has now become 'Ashcombe Goods' 5'x14" and will consist of the goods shed and the engine shed with just one road with a coaling stage and a cattle dock, purely for playing with, small goods trains and no passenger workings, makes sense to me at last (well for today at least hahaha)

going mad George

Been busy at 'Ashcombe'  today making a small cattle dock up out of a much butchered Ratio kit have decided to add another 3' on the end to give a more interesting layout ?

George

Only another 2' to go then before Ashcombe Goods reverts to Ashcombe !

Ray.

Hello Bodgit,  Yes they look much better with the later crest, if you bring the locos that need re-branding up with you next week l will do them for you, l don't charge that much ? hahaha

George

Archived