'Ashcombe'

georgeT

There is;

Use Vans,

hahhaha

And :no:

That's cheating.  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

How about an electromagnet in the roof of the shed and metal plates embedded in the wagon load. You energise the magnet when the wagon is under it and the load get sucked up into the roof. When the empty wagon leaves the shed you switch off the electromagnet and the load drops through a hole between the rails and into a recovery bin under the baseboard. It'll never work I hear you cry, which is probably why I've never seen it done. :beee:

I did see a layout that loaded coal wagons with coal but they were emptied by hand behind the back-scene.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

I have been an operator on one of the Gibbon brothers' layouts where the coal was loaded by spoon behind the screens (as in colliery screens). I also helped Peter Gentle he had adapted a tea dispenser (you pressed a button and a measured amount of tea was released) to be a loading hopper for a quarry. Wagons were tipped into a bucket offscene to empty them.

Un sheeted loads i.e those you can see would not need to be emptied in the shed and could be offloaded outside. Sheeted loads are a problem. It is a bit difficult folding up the sheets!

Don

• RMweb Gold

The classic empties/loaded scam special effect uses a backscene. So George would propel his wagons into the shed, from where they could be withdrawn through the backscene, emptied and returned. On a roundy layout, you might have a coal-mine on one side and a power-station on the other, each set against the backscene. Loaded wagons emerge from the backscene out of the coal-loader, run round to enter the power station and disappear through the backscene to emerge from the coal-loader again. Empty wagons perform the circuit in reverse, emerging from the power station and circling back to be "loaded" at the coal mine.

• RMweb Gold

The classic empties/loaded scam special effect uses a backscene. So George would propel his wagons into the shed, from where they could be withdrawn through the backscene, emptied and returned. On a roundy layout, you might have a coal-mine on one side and a power-station on the other, each set against the backscene. Loaded wagons emerge from the backscene out of the coal-loader, run round to enter the power station and disappear through the backscene to emerge from the coal-loader again. Empty wagons perform the circuit in reverse, emerging from the power station and circling back to be "loaded" at the coal mine.

John Armstrong a well known US layout designer created a long siding in a tunnel which could be raised or lowered so that the loads went in to a low level power station and came out of a mine high in the hills  empties the other way round.

Don

Morning Ray / Don / Ian, Thanks for all your comments on unloading the wagons at  'Ashcombe' it seems theres lots of ways to do it, its been a bit slow at the moment as l am still toying with different ways to do things, and as the layout has shrunk from 10' to 5' changes have to be made like the removal of the station for one, but l'm getting there,

The biggest change is that 'Ashcombe' has gone totally DCC, so l am busy at the moment fitting chips into the loco stud, not an easy task as there is very little room inside the Hornby M7 ?

George

• RMweb Gold

The biggest change is that 'Ashcombe' has gone totally DCC, so l am busy at the moment fitting chips into the loco stud, not an easy task as there is very little room inside the Hornby M7 ?

Yes, Hornby's own solution, as in "DCC-fitted", took the weight out of one of the side tanks to provide space for a decoder. But, as we all know, 0-4-4 tanks are notoriously difficult to balance such that there is enough weight over the drivers to pass the "rice pudding test", so taking weight out of the boiler area is not ideal. ISTR finding a very small decoder from a less-well-known European manufacturer whose name escapes me. Not cheap - but certainly tiddly-sized, and rather more subtle in operation than Hornby's own product.

Morning George, great stuff, those wagon loads look great!

Look forward to the next installment on Ashcombe.

As for DCC... you've tempted me back to it now...!

All the best

Jack

Ps. LifeboatMan, you just made me laugh over my morning coffee.

I used the DZ121 Z gauge decoder in a Bachmann 44 tonner, it powered the twin motor loco with no problem.  It fitted down one side of the cab.  There is an equivalent 4 function available.  Google "Digitrax DZ121", the price is approx $35, but a 2 function decoder is available at under $20.  The lenz silver mini decoder is also quite small.  Easily fitted under the hood on Atla N diesels.

"Rice pudding test" ???

Edit: Never mind. My brain has finally changed up out of first gear. As in "Pull the skin off"... Got it. Apologies  - a little slow this morning...

Thanks, I didn't get it either :O , I should now Ian's wit by now, :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  hahha

Andy :sungum:

Morning Ray / Don / Ian, Thanks for all your comments on unloading the wagons at 'Ashcombe' it seems theres lots of ways to do it, its been a bit slow at the moment as l am still toying with different ways to do things, and as the layout has shrunk from 10' to 5' changes have to be made like the removal of the station for one, but l'm getting there,

George

Hi George,

Plenty of room in an M7 for a decoder, did you not see my M7 with sound install. The Beattie Well Tank with sound, well that's another story, that was tricky.

If you want plug an play without removing the weight I can recommend the TCS DP2X-UK, plugs straight into the socket, no wires.

Ray.

Morning All, Thanks for the help over which DCC chip to use, l guess its trial and error, l have bought a dozen locos in the last few weeks seven steam for 'Ashcombe' and five diesels for the other project much later down the line,

So on the boxes they tell me whether its 6 - 8 - 21 pin so l bought a dozen Bachmann chips to suit, mistake number one, most of the big chips went it with a bit of persuasion, but totally impossible to fit the 08 with such a big chip, Bodgit has said l should fit the smaller Hornby chip as he has, and has no problems at all with them at all, so l will try the Hornby ones for the smaller locos..

George

I also find the new Gaugemaster DCC27 is good, it is a 8/21 pin so will do for either, People recommend the small Lenze ones but A, I have never seen any for sale at shows, and B, they are costly for a normal 2 / 3 function chip.

A lot of it is trial and error, some loco like Feedback and some don't, in the main most run sweeter with a Feedback chip in my opinion.

Morning George, it may seem a minefield but that's only because your fitting chips to so many Locos all in one go. Once there all done and you buy another Loco you just need its appropriate chip. 99% of the Locos and Chips are easy to fit, its mainly the small tank Locos and things like say a Bachmann 03 sound chip that will be a headache.

My Friend John Bottomley has fitted a DMU Motor Bogie under an Autocoach Body and removed the Motor from the old Airfix 14XX to give a sweet smooth quiet Auto Train on his Torridge Layout, (Railway Of The Month Feb 2013) now he is analog, but if he were to go DCC he would have loads of room for a chip and even Sound should he wish to go down that route.

Take it slowly mate, just one at a time and think it through and you will find it easy, just like the way you used to make up lighting units for the old Mainline Class 56 and Lima Class 60's years ago.

All the best,

Hi George.

Looks like you've just started the rapid learning curve we all go through with DCC decoder chips.

When I first started I was recommended the TCS DP2X-UK as it easily fits in most of the small tank engines I had at the time. So the TCS became my decoder of choice.

I then found a Loco that it wasn't happy with, not that it didn't work, just the slow running wasn't quite so smooth. So I tried a Lenz chip, hey presto, my new decoder of choice. And so it goes, Flavour of the year is now the Zimo range, both with and without sound (until something else comes along).

Ray.

Hi Ray, that's interesting, I've seen the odd Loco with a Zimo chip fitted, and Paul Chetter was at the Mansfield Show last year demonstrating the 20 with Sound and others, if he is there next weekend I will have a look more closely at them.

My sound choice is now Legomanbiffo for Diesels SOUNDS, Jamie pointed me in their direction last year when he was with Peter Midwinter at the Bakewell show. And for steam SOUNDS my NEW FAVORITE at the moment is Locolines, from Essex, about 28 sounds including 3 Station announcements, although they are for Liverpool, Birmingham and Settle / Leeds.

Hello Lads, Thanks for the advice (l need as much as l can get at the moment) the problem l have is being so used to the size of 0 gauge and so much more room inside of locos etc,  now having gone back to 00 is that l find it all so small, l guess l will get used to it again but l find it so dinky.

What l will do is buy different chips to find the best for what l want, and the chips that don't fit the small tanks will do for bigger locos at a later date, Richard has given me and idea for the 08 and another tip from Ray, so l got something to go on..

George

Hi George.

A good tip is to ask on here if anybody has done a particular Loco before (I'm sure you know this already), you'll often get more than one answer so it can be a case of 'suck it and see'. You'll very soon learn what works and what doesn't (work so well).

A good chip fitting resource is here

Andy, What chip does Locolines use for their sound projects?

Ray.

Hi George.

A good tip is to ask on here if anybody has done a particular Loco before (I'm sure you know this already), you'll often get more than one answer so it can be a case of 'suck it and see'. You'll very soon learn what works and what doesn't (work so well).

A good chip fitting resource is here

Andy, What chip does Locolines use for their sound projects?

Ray.

Hi Ray, ESU I think.

Bodg :O e

Hi Ray, ESU I think.

Bodg :O e

Hi Andy, just been on the LocoLines website and they only list 2 as a Locolines steam sound, a DoG and a L & Y 2-4-2. They also list SWD steam sound but its an empty list,

I wonder what you've got? :O (not that it matters as long as you're happy with them). Polly's after a chip for her DoG, I've heard the Paul Chetter (Digitrains) one on YouTube but still waiting for it to become available.

Ray.

(sorry George, seem to have hijacked your layout thread with all this DCC stuff, I'll shut up now).

Hi Andy, just been on the LocoLines website and they only list 2 as a Locolines steam sound, a DoG and a L & Y 2-4-2. They also list SWD steam sound but its an empty list,

I wonder what you've got? :O (not that it matters as long as you're happy with them). Polly's after a chip for her DoG, I've heard the Paul Chetter (Digitrains) one on YouTube but still waiting for it to become available.

Ray.

(sorry George, seem to have hijacked your layout thread with all this DCC stuff, I'll shut up now).

Ray, I found Locolines on You Tube, there website is naff, but the phone service and after sales is 1st class, there phone No is 01268 729499. I have the Super D, 3F and 4F and I'm more than pleased with them, Put 3F Locolines on You Tube and mine is the first one up with the Super D BUT there are Jubilees, 9F and WD plus others.

EDIT =  Ihave put them on here for you all.

I'm sure George wont mind as will need this info when he CONVERTS ALL HIS STOCK TO SOUND. hahaha

Archived