'Ashcombe'

georgeT

Morning Guys,  Well the good news is that me and Bodgit have decided NOT to tour after all, as we feel the pressure of all the girls (and some men)  chasing us would be far too much at our age, just look at keith richard of the stones and you'll know what we mean, l think we will stick to the ups and downs we have in model railways and the RMweb  hahahahahahahha 

GeorgeT

George,

I guess it must be comforting to be able to pick up an accoustic guitar and get an acceptable sound from it. Bodge in particular must enjoy it whilst his traditional pursuits are so difficult to cope with. I personally learnt the 'gramophone' at an early age and still get some great sounds from it to this day! Hahaha.

Kind regards,

Jock.

The biggest problem we found was getting a Tour Bus with big enough doors for our heads to go thorough.

AHAHAAAAA

I went down to Lee's (vtrtruckrt) this morning and had a good session, it was great to be able to run some trains again, see his pics in Bralyn Central.

More pics from you now please mate,

Bodge.

Hi Lads,  Well she has got her first helping of greens, at last waiting too see how it all dries.

First time l have done anything serious in the scenery department, l have always relied on Bodgit..

George

post-7716-0-07845200-1405864004_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-02824700-1405864009_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-32475700-1405864013_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-59946600-1405864016_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-16782200-1405864020_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-66423200-1405864023_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-30233700-1405864027_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-46940600-1405864030_thumb.jpg

Crikey George, that stuff grows quicker than my weed patch (aka lawn!) and I struggle to keep up with that! Surprising how realistic the trackwork and bridge becomes with the addition of the greenery - I'm certain Andy will be proud of you once he tears himself away from the grand prix.

By the way Andy, I've been on to Lee's thread so that is yet another one to follow. I don't know about you chaps but I seem to spend half the day looking through this site now - I must apply more discipline!

Inspirational once again George, makes me want to get started. I've posted off my subscription to the Glasgow & South Western Railway Association in order that I can fill in some gaps in my knowledge and so might begin modelling before the end of the year. So much hinges on whether I go for a major operation or not, whether I survive it or how long the recovery period is are unknowns!

Keep the pics coming mate,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hello Jock,  Thanks, Just keep thinking of your dream layout, and it will pull you through anything l'm sure, l too spend more time than l should on the computer, as there are so many threads etc to follow, so much to take in from so many layouts,

With 'Ashcombe' l am amazed how quickly it is starting to come together now, l have so much woodland scenics in the drawer that l have collected over the years, and lots of bits from other broken up layouts too..

George

Looking good George. Scenery can make a huge difference and help with motivation too. One of the nicest comments I ever had was after I'd dabbled with the green stuff for the first time having looked at nothing but 9mm ply for ages... "I almost thought the bare boards looked too good to be covered with scenery. I was wrong"... That spurred me on. And then what did I do? Sold it, bloody fool! Seriously, keep up the good work. Pete.

Hello Pete,  l know what you mean mate l have been there many times, trouble is you don't know what you have until it's gone, (ask Bodgit) l was starting to lose interest a little but a bit of grass has restored the mojo somewhat ? 

George

Morning mate, just how many layouts have we got half way through and then YOU or ME swap from Steam to Diesel or the other way round, from OO to O and back again, and like Sheep you and I always follow each other, hahhah.

It is refreshing to see you doing this on your own and seeing your take on methods, and materials etc.

The end result is really what counts and that's starting to show now you have some other colour arriving.

Its the end result that counts, and seeing just how photogenic you can make a small layout without over crowding it and spoiling the illusion of space.

Great job mate.

Well done yet again.

Bodge.

Morning Bodgit,   l was going through my cabinet and came across my very first camcorder l bought in 1992, l remember the strap snapped at didcot parkway after a year or so and broke into six pieces, l was gutted, put it into a drawer, about a year or so later l had it repaired somewhere in Eccles, l used it for a while and then put it back in the drawer, and its been there right up till now, so yesterday l thought l'd have a look and see if it still worked, l was amazed that it did,

l spent most of the afternoon watching the super8 cassettes, and they bought back so many memories, with at least six of your layouts, and many railway exhibitions we attended over the years, and all the day trips we used to do (Newport) (Doncaster) (Didcot) etc etc, l will have to see if they can be copied to digital .

With you not able to come up and do it for me at present, l have had to do the scenics myself and l must say l am really enjoying it, will finish most of the groundwork today, back to work tomorrow......

George

• RMweb Gold

First bit of green and it's looking great George. It's amazing how quickly it grows...

I've said this before, but the addition of just a little colour and suddenly a layout looks absolutely alive (even if it's far from finished). I always found with my own efforts that it REALLY starts when things go green.

Keep it up!

Nestor

Hello Nestor,  Thanks, yes the colour's really bring thing's to life, the grass will be toned down with cheap hair spray and more bramble, also having helped Bodgit many times at various exhibition's over the year's, and found it hard to pick up base board's without causing damage to the scenery l decided to add some handles each side of the board's to help when moving them around ?

George

post-7716-0-03378600-1405941524_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-85270600-1405941527_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Looking nice George although the colour of the grass is a bit mad to say the least; far too dark green. I know grass gets pretty dark at times but on models, it always looks a bit contrived. Is it too late to change it (or over it) with a lighter, more yellow toned flock?

Hello Jason,  Thanks for dropping by, yes the green is is not quite right, but its better in the flesh than in the bright sunshine on camera, it has a lot more bramble and other bushes to go on yet, maybe put some other greens on the top...

Cheers George

• RMweb Gold

Better George :) may I suggest perhaps some very faded greens and perhaps yellows for grass colours? I find in model form that more faded shades look greener than actual straight greens. I might of course be talking bull s***...

Hope this helps

Nestor

Evening Bob / Nestor,  More to this scenic thing than you think, you go into a shop, you buy whats on sale, get it home stick it down and it looks S**T, so back to the start again, mind you the green don't look to bad now with a lighter green mixed in .

George

Evening mate, Nestor and Jason are right about the Greens, they need to look quite yellow to the eye to get away from the Emerald Green,

Emerald is from the Green side of the Blue spectrum and you need to be on the Yellow side, but your latest pics show how much it has improved by adding the lighter colours and getting away from a monotone base.

Its coming on really well, cant wait to see the Pannier shunting the Yard.

Bodge.

Happy birthday George.

If it's any consolation at all, there must be loads of us that struggle with getting the green stuff spot on. My problem stems from being a townie. I can visualise what a decaying industrial building should look like but grass? I think it's green and that's about all I know. Even then I'm wrong - turns out there's more yellows and browns... Even family holidays as a child in Oban didn't make an indelible imprint on my mind. Surrounded by all that beauty and where was I? Down at the station snapping 26s and 27s on my old Praktica camera! As has been pointed out, the opportunity is always there to lighten something that looks a little wrong by simply going over it until you're happy. My bits box still has old bags of scatter that are simply way too vivid. I guess I must have thought it looked alright at the time - I bought them! Maybe one day I'll get one of those static grass thingies and practice but until then, I'll probably take one step forward and a couple back. It's all a learning curve, isn't it? For that we should be grateful.

Archived