'Ashcombe'

georgeT

• RMweb Gold

Hi George,

Good work on Ashcombe !

A comment that I would like to add, picking up on a few things that you mention.

I too, have sold 'unwanted' railway items (to fund more modelling materials / locos etc) and then a couple of years later thinking 'perhaps I shouldn't have sold that'! Oh well, enjoyed spending the money that the items released!

I think that there are quite a few of us ('rubber gaugers') who move from one thing to another over a period of years. Keeps the mind busy and good opportunity to try out new things! A lot of things that I learned from modelling 7mm narrow gauge have been adapted to my 4mm modelling!

Hello Richard, Yes l think we all do it at sometime in our lives, the things that move you today does not move you tomorrow ?, l hope you don't mind but l pinched the idea for the road at the end of 'Ashcombe' from your 'AA' such a great idea.

George

Hello Jason, lt certainly has made a world of difference (thanks to Richards AA) anyway in the coal yard l would like some sort of stone floor as you have done on 'Bacup' l was wondering how you did it, any tips would be grateful...

George

• RMweb Premium

Hi George,

I used Redutex textured sheets; they aren't cheap but they look great (when painted up - they look a bit monotone as they come) and are very flexible. They are vinyl with adhesive on the reverse and as such, you can tweak them to a certain extent as the material is flexible. It's best tu use something underneath them (such as mounting board) to bring them up to rail height. For the edges, where they meet the rails, I used C&L sleepers running parallel to the rails.

As you've ballasted the siding, you may not need to do the above but it'd be worth it, or re-ballasting with ash ballast.

Morning George,

Like the crossing idea - I'm looking on and gleaning ideas as you progress. You did set me off on a trail this morning - saw your post complimenting Richard on his AA layout, and that led to black looks from SWMBO and a comment about the amount of time I spend on the iPad, as I just had to follow the thread through! It is impossible to follow them all so I must exercise more control!

Look forward to the next set of images, and I bet Bodge is looking in with longing - if he learns to do as he's told, he should get back to it quicker hahaha!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Richard, Yes l think we all do it at sometime in our lives, the things that move you today does not move you tomorrow ?, l hope you don't mind but l pinched the idea for the road at the end of 'Ashcombe' from your 'AA' such a great idea.

George

No problem George - I pinched the idea from somewhere else myself !!!

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the progress George. You can manage 0 gauge in a small space but it will alsways be a bit cramped  and if you want to run big locos ......... A merchant Navy with a big train on would take up the whole length of a garage. Mr Watermans shed is bigger than most people house and garden. However keeping a few to run on the club layout and perhaps build another loco or two that could be fun meanwhile you have a nice little layout to get on with.

Don

Morning Don, Thanks for dropping in, lots has happened since your last visit as 'Ashcombe' is really starting to look the part, l find with OO you can afford the locos and stock you love without months and months of building, and much easier on your pocket, but nothing can take away the pleasure of building a loco in O gauge as you well know, thats why l will dabble in building a loco or two as a side line.

George

Morning Jock,  l too spend lots of time looking at the many good layouts on here, thats where we get inspired to build things, l'm glad you found Richards AA its a cracking small layout full of interest, like so many on here. l need to add more filler to the road now that the first layer has dried...

George

George,

I've just done it again - had a few minutes to spare so decided to look at your 7mm workbench : that was nearly 2hrs ago!! Really impressed mate, I can see now why you're drawn to making some more locos in that scale. Sadly I don't have the time and I'm fairly certain, although qualified as an engineer and trained in lathe use, welding, soldering etc., I simply don't have the skill level!

I found real inspiration in the thread though and it has, if nothing else, given me the resolve to build the four SMP 00 point kits that have been in my box for over 35 years! I was going to sell them and replace with Peco code75, but I've now decided to save the cash and, when I start modelling as planned in the autumn, they'll be the first true task. That and scratch building a representation of a G&SWR style coaling stage!

Your site should be recommended reading for any aspiring young modeller!!

I'm off to start packing for holiday now, before I get moaned at for spending so much time on here. My daughters place in Somerset and the apartment in Porthleven both have WiFi and so I shall be able to follow Ashcombe's development from time to time.

Keep up the great work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hello Jock,  l'm so glad you found my 7mm builds inspirational, they are all labours of love, anyway you go and have a great time on holiday, and when you get back you can start on building the SMP track, something l have never tried.

The poly-filler has dried so after a clean up l have given the road a base colour,

post-7716-0-78400700-1403688278_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-81591400-1403688282_thumb.jpg

Hi George, I said I wasn't going to post tonight as I felt YUK after the visits to the Hospital today, but just popped in for a quick look at your pics, I amazed how well its come on WITHOUT my help, see you can do it, and do it well at that.

Looks the Muts Nuts.

Well done mate, you can come down and do my Station and Scenics as well hahhaha.

All the best.

Bodge.

Needed to make a loading gauge for the goods shed road, didn't like the plastic one (very flimsy) so l made one out of brass as most pictures l have, the actual gauge is missing, so l didn't put one on mine,

Hello Andy,  nice to hear you are getting better, but please listen to Dee and keep off the computer until you are well enough just put your feet up and rest, l know you find it hard, but you have got to do it..

post-7716-0-49829900-1403780692_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-86029100-1403780696_thumb.jpg

Morning Al, Andy & Bob,  Thanks for all the words of encouragement, and all the likes etc, l am happy with the bridge too, l have two days off next week and hope to airbrush all the track so l can get on with some scenery, and get something green on to 'Ashcombe'

Need to decide on what sort of road l want on the bridge to have it leads to the brewery and l'm not sure if it would have been tarmac ? any ideas would be a great help please Gang....

George

Morning George. Haven't dropped in for a while but everything's looking terrific. For a secondary road in that era, I'm also not sure it would have been tarmac. I've heard good things about Tamiya textured paint which could be useful to represent loose chippings but I've heard a few people say it looks overscale even in 4mm? Interested to see what option you go for.

Pete.

George,

Had some rough Emery on a roll in the garage where I worked, which, suitably coloured would suit 00 scale. Like Pete, I am confident that whatever you choose, it will look b good! Wonder if Justin at 'Model Railway Scenery' can come up with something textured - he seems to be very obliging?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Archived