Building Your First Layout Supplement

Phil Parker

I really like Easingwold East. I think you might find the extra siding on Edgeworth is worth the extra wdith required, it makes shunting much more enjoyable. However, the key is to enjoy building the layout and I'll admit that after spending a weekend next to EE, if I'd had nothing better to do, a version would have been in production!

I dug out the relevant RM today which carried the Easingwold East article, it is lovely.

I've been playing around with some point templates today too as suggested, it really helps to bring everything to life and see how much room you have to play with in terms of clearances and siding/run-round capacities.

• Administrators

I've been playing around with some point templates today too as suggested, it really helps to bring everything to life and see how much room you have to play with in terms of clearances and siding/run-round capacities.

Those point templates are one of the greatest aids to layout building but very few people seem to know about them. Personally, I find messing around with full sized bits of paper much easier and more satisfying than anything on screen.

Do try to leave the plan with points Blu-tacked in position for a few days too. It's amazing what you see if you go away and come back to it after a couple of days. If you still think it looks good after a night or twos sleep then there's a good chance you'll still be happy with it in a few months.

Thanks for the advice Phil, I will try that. It does bring things to life doing it this way and (quite obviously!!) makes things 3D and real. I have had a big roll of paper out along with the templates and some stock. It is tight but you have shown the plan can work and with the right type of stock will be a goer. I've been giving some thought as at whether there is any merit in putting a single siding along the front and then 'kicking-back' with two sidings in front of the fiddle yard. That way it would give a fully scenic frontage. Disadvantages are access to the fiddle yard and maybe that it is a little contrived. Also rules out the possibility of an additional scenic board at some point to lengthen the run between the fiddle yard and first point at the station throat. Anyway, I will keep playing round with the templates and thanks again for the advice Phil!

Cheers,

David  

• RMweb Gold

Do try to leave the plan with points Blu-tacked in position for a few days too. It's amazing what you see if you go away and come back to it after a couple of days. If you still think it looks good after a night or twos sleep then there's a good chance you'll still be happy with it in a few months.

Good advice - which also works if you're trying to come up with new designs, ideas etc away from layout planning - away even from railway modelling.

The key issue here is that, another day, you've had some time away from what you're working on, so you've probably forgotten what you were thinking about at the time.

Apart from this being a reason to make a note of ideas that might have occurred to you at the time (and keep your notes out of sight for a few minutes, when you get back to this stuff), it also allows you to look at things with a fresh pair of eyes and a clear mind (not tethered to any previous thoughts).

Sometimes, you might notice that something doesn't look quite right - possibly even a fatal flaw in your previous ideas - this sort of thing has probably happened to most people here. Sometimes, you might just have seen something in the meantime that leads you off in a different direction. There's probably little harm in exhausting this new stuff - and making a note of anything which seems credible - before looking back at what you were working on a few days previously and seeing if anything further "jumps out".

Some people have even been known to have cheap notebooks, in their pockets or rucksacks, for jotting down ideas that come to them - I'm not saying that you need to, but I've sometimes found the things useful.

Whatever works for you, I hope you get somewhere with your layout - somewhere without too many blind alleys.

Regards,

Huw.

Good afternoon all

Not much progress to report i'm afraid, some items on order took longer than expected to arrive. In the meantime I decided to stain & paint the boards, I will hopefully be able to start in earnest over the next couple of days.

Kind regards

post-26813-0-64078700-1441110250_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've finally laid the track this week, progress has been alot slower than anticipated. The joys of been short staffed at work has left me little time to get things done. The keen eyed among you will notice that the layout is slightly different from the article, this is more to accommodate larger locos as my layout will depict a heritage line. Sorry about the quality of the photo's I set my phone camera resolution to low oops. The photo of olton hall was an arty attempt :) this loco has been treated to a t-cut and wax and I'm pleased with the end result.

post-26813-0-36129800-1442176408_thumb.jpg

post-26813-0-92549000-1442176431_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Good evening all

Progress is picking up pace, managed to get the main part of the layout wired today and run a test train. Now on to the next part which is painting the track, after seeing a youtube vid by brm using the lifecolour weathered set I thought I'd give it a try. I am extremely happy with the result.

Kind Regardspost-26813-0-21247400-1442533565_thumb.jpg

Edited by dandrews2000
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed PhiI mentioned EasingwoId East earIier one. Just to say that I have been the custodian of this IittIe Iayout for the past three years and have exhibited it four times. Have two shows booked for next year, so keep an eye out! After this I may succumb to another project, and couId mean I may seII it.

• 2 weeks later...

This new book goes on-sale on October 12th, but we're giving you the chance to buy one of 50 copies before it's available in shops!

Go to: http://www.rmweb-buyandsell.co.uk/books/the-brm-guide-to-building-your-first-model-railway.html

A nice offer Steve, but, had bought it when it hit the shelves in Smiths Dover,

For grandson, of course.    :whistle:  :whistle:

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

post-26813-0-68380900-1447262201_thumb.jpgGood evening all

A little progress report. The layout is all wired for DCC operation now using Hornby accessory decoders all operated by a Dynamis handset. I am still undecided on whether to use Kadee under baseboard uncouplers or the between rail type, I have both at present. Decided to try Delux materials ballast magic, not that impressed so back to diluted PVA. I am experimenting with different Static grasses at present also. I have found Noch grasses to toy like and i'm currently experimenting with green scene summer and lush green colours, which are shown in the photo. I think with the right mixture of these two I will be able to achieve the colour i'm looking for. If anyone has any recomendations for static grass please feel free to comment.

Thats all for now, with the weather taking a turn for the worse i will probably have more time to dedicate to the layout.

Thanks for reading

• Like 2

attachicon.gifRMWeb.jpgGood evening all

Decided to try Delux materials ballast magic, not that impressed so back to diluted PVA.

I have never been keen on PVA for ballasting.

It gives the ballast a slight green hue (although this is not a problem if you are going to weather it very heavily) but my biggest gripe is that it is a resin so it makes the track base rock hard.

• Administrators

I have never been keen on PVA for ballasting.

It gives the ballast a slight green hue (although this is not a problem if you are going to weather it very heavily) but my biggest gripe is that it is a resin so it makes the track base rock hard.

The colour change depends on the ballast. Granite does change slightly so if this bothers you, try something like Greenscene's ballast made of crushed nuts (I think). We've used it on Ruston Quays and it looks great.

Not so fussed about the hard track bed. Modern RTR is so quiet that it makes little difference. Decoupling the track from the baseboard is also very difficult and takes a lot of planning. Basically, you need to float the track on foam or rubber, use no pins, very fine (flexible) dropper wires and make sure the ballast doesn't extend past the rubber/foam. It can be done but is (IMHO) more work than it's worth.

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening all

I wonder if anyone can help with this one. A few years ago I remember hearing about a model club layout that used a raspberry pi for the loco sounds instead of dedicated dcc chips. I have a few sound locos and while they are okay they lack oomph in the sound department, especially the steam locos. Can anyone point me in the right direction of the club or anyone who has experience of doing sound this way.

Thanks in advance

• Administrators

Good evening all

I wonder if anyone can help with this one. A few years ago I remember hearing about a model club layout that used a raspberry pi for the loco sounds instead of dedicated dcc chips. I have a few sound locos and while they are okay they lack oomph in the sound department, especially the steam locos. Can anyone point me in the right direction of the club or anyone who has experience of doing sound this way.

Thanks in advance

Dan - I think you might have more luck in the DCC sound group with this one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am on with laying out Edgeworth full size on lining paper with some of the buildings I will be using. I have laid out my thoughts so far below, but would really appreciate any comments or better ideas. I have a little bit more space to play with -  10 inches on the length and 3 inches on the width. If you are not familiar with the design of Edgewoth there is a plan at the beginning of this topic.

1) I did wonder about replacing the engine shed with a goods shed. I felt it may look better opposite the passenger area and avoid passengers getting coal dust all over them..

2) Put a kick back off what were the goods lines, i.e. the two sidings at the front, running toward the signal box. put some rudimentary loco servicing facilities on this siding - e.g. coal staithe, water, maybe ash disposal. Not sure about an engine shed.

3) Use a 3-way asymmetric point at the start of the scenic section instead of left and right hand points. It seems to save quite a bit of room and allows a bit more breathing space.

4) On looking at the layout from the front, the station building is facing away. What the onlooker sees is the rear. Is it worth re-arranging things so that the front of the station building is seen?

Many thanks to Phil and BRM for putting together a great guide and some really good stuff. One thing missing is how to wire up live-frog points. Was this deliberate?

Thanks in advance

• Administrators

1) I did wonder about replacing the engine shed with a goods shed. I felt it may look better opposite the passenger area and avoid passengers getting coal dust all over them..

On Edgeworth I wouldn't have been able to squeeze a goods shed in here, there's only just enough space for the engine shed. More to the point, a goods shed should be in the yard. (And I know someone will come up with a prototype to prove me wrong!)

I'm not sure railway companies were all that fussed about the passengers getting covered in coal dust either. Remember, the world of the steam train was far, far, dirtier than today. Everything you touched would be covered in muck. The shed would be empty most of the time that passengers were around in any numbers so it wouldn't give off any dirt.

2) Put a kick back off what were the goods lines, i.e. the two sidings at the front, running toward the signal box. put some rudimentary loco servicing facilities on this siding - e.g. coal staithe, water, maybe ash disposal. Not sure about an engine shed.

You could do but that turns valuable siding space into a headshunt for the shed. If you want a kick back, I'd be more inclined to run it into a factory with a couple of sidings in front of the fiddleyard.

3) Use a 3-way asymmetric point at the start of the scenic section instead of left and right hand points. It seems to save quite a bit of room and allows a bit more breathing space.

That will work but 3-way points weren't very common on the prototype, although I'm sure there were some in just this sort of location. However, it would save space and that can be just as important. I'm not sure this point was in the Code 75 range when I built Edgeworth so I didn't have the choice.

4) On looking at the layout from the front, the station building is facing away. What the onlooker sees is the rear. Is it worth re-arranging things so that the front of the station building is seen?

Possibly. I quite like the idea that we see the same view as a passenger arriving at the station on Edgeworth. The train moving out of sight appeals to me too.

The easiest way to do this would be to flip the plan around so the fiddle yard is at the other end, or put the yard at the back and engine shed at the front.

It's all down to the modellers choice – that's the great thing about this hobby. You could build the same plan and end up with a very different layout, I think that's fantastic and I'd love to see it.

5) One thing missing is how to wire up live-frog points. Was this deliberate?

That's because there isn't any wiring required. The points will work straight from the box. If you wish to switch the frog using a polarity switch on the point motor, not a bad idea for reliability, then the details are on the instructions with the point. I was trying to keep things simple as I know electricity scares people.

Glad you have enjoyed the project and look forward to seeing how you get on.

• Like 3

On Edgeworth I wouldn't have been able to squeeze a goods shed in here, there's only just enough space for the engine shed. More to the point, a goods shed should be in the yard. (And I know someone will come up with a prototype to prove me wrong!)

I'm not sure railway companies were all that fussed about the passengers getting covered in coal dust either. Remember, the world of the steam train was far, far, dirtier than today. Everything you touched would be covered in muck. The shed would be empty most of the time that passengers were around in any numbers so it wouldn't give off any dirt.

You could do but that turns valuable siding space into a headshunt for the shed. If you want a kick back, I'd be more inclined to run it into a factory with a couple of sidings in front of the fiddleyard.

That will work but 3-way points weren't very common on the prototype, although I'm sure there were some in just this sort of location. However, it would save space and that can be just as important. I'm not sure this point was in the Code 75 range when I built Edgeworth so I didn't have the choice.

Possibly. I quite like the idea that we see the same view as a passenger arriving at the station on Edgeworth. The train moving out of sight appeals to me too.

The easiest way to do this would be to flip the plan around so the fiddle yard is at the other end, or put the yard at the back and engine shed at the front.

It's all down to the modellers choice – that's the great thing about this hobby. You could build the same plan and end up with a very different layout, I think that's fantastic and I'd love to see it.

5) One thing missing is how to wire up live-frog points. Was this deliberate?

That's because there isn't any wiring required. The points will work straight from the box. If you wish to switch the frog using a polarity switch on the point motor, not a bad idea for reliability, then the details are on the instructions with the point. I was trying to keep things simple as I know electricity scares people.

Glad you have enjoyed the project and look forward to seeing how you get on.

Many Thanks Phil for your comprehensive reply.

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening all.

Well its been a good few months since I reported any progress, so the following photos show where i am up to at present.post-26813-0-33398300-1456873355_thumb.jpgpost-26813-0-92375400-1456873376_thumb.jpgpost-26813-0-23530200-1456873397_thumb.jpg I decided to not put in the engine shed prefering to use the space for a visitor car park, also on my layout you face the station as opposed to viewing from behind. As this little layout is meant to represent a Heritage line with a GWR slant i'm able to run all sorts. Normally the GWR autotrain operates from the platform the class 52 is stabled at, this platform being long enough also to accommodate a 2 car demu. Still a ton to do but still really enjoying the scenic side. No signals at present, any tips on location and requirements would be welcome.

Kind Regards 

David 

• Like 9

Looking really good. Metcalfe station building? It really suits the model.

Thanks phil, The buildings are the Bachmann Highley station set, even purchased them at highley. Have always had a soft spot for the svr as i was taken there as a young lad to see gordon the big blue engine back in the late 70's early 80's. Having moved to scotland its a bit far to go as often as id like.

Thanks

David

post-26813-0-58177600-1456947874_thumb.jpg

post-26813-0-37084600-1456947926_thumb.jpg

post-26813-0-57186500-1456947960_thumb.jpg

• Like 5