RMweb

Hornby Drummond 700

Robin Brasher

00 Works 700 for sale for £124 at the Weymouth Model Railway Association's exhibition today.  It looks like the price gap between a new ready to run model made in China from a large manufacturer and a second hand model in excellent condition from a small British manufacturer is narrowing.

Just been on the Hornby Website, it is now saying the expected on 01/03/2015 on all versions. :umbrage:  This is the same on a number of other products yet to be released too, like the updated 42xx, 52xx and 72xx, plus the D16's... I sure hope what the dealer's are saying is true and with have them in time for Xmas... :drag:

http://www.Hornby.com/sr-0-6-0-700-class-1920s-1930s.html

http://www.Hornby.com/br-0-6-0-700-class-early-br.html

http://www.Hornby.com/br-0-6-0-700-class-late-br.html

Edited by SDJR7F88

Well, it was around a year between the Pre-production model of the P2 being reviewed, and it hitting the shelves, so what do we really expect? It will turn up in good time.

• RMweb Gold

Just been on the Hornby Website, it is now saying the expected on 01/03/2015 on all versions. :umbrage:  This is the same on a number of other products yet to be released too, like the updated 42xx, 52xx and 72xx, plus the D16's... I sure hope what the dealer's are saying is true and with have them in time for Xmas... :drag:

That's bad news. Have to think of something else for the Memsahib to buy me for Crimbo now.

Probably more money for Kernow if the O2 is out....or Southern green gatestock. ....or Southern green T9 or..........flipping 'eck

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hattons have said that the delivery date for all three Hornby 700s is now March 2015. It is not unknown for Hornby to put the delivery date further in the future.

Yet there were prototypes being touted around for inspection more than six months ago so why the further delay?

• RMweb Gold

Yet there were prototypes being touted around for inspection more than six months ago so why the further delay?

There's a whole bunch of stuff been kicked into the fresh spring grass, not just the 700s. Includes all 4 locos announced this year plus a number of re-runs.

Suggests to me that the new production arrangements either haven't properly bedded in yet or aren't the complete answer to the existing problems.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

R3302, Dunkirk train pack, wouldn't the locomotive have been black with "sunshine" lettering and carriages have been Bulleid malachite green rather than Maunsell olive green by 1940?

The olive green lasted for quite a few years beyond the starting date for malachite repaints (around 1938, I think). I'm sure the pace of repainting slowed down during the war years due to other exigencies and also possibly, materials shortages.

• 1 month later...

If Hattons are correct with the "Due in March 2015" delivery date, then we haven't got too long to wait for these now...

It's Deja vu all over again...

Having had a look at the images of the EP and the livery samples, I wouldn't be too surprised if these have the same niggly little faults as the J15 - horizontal hand rail knobs and an awkward join on the boiler. At least the latter will be hidden by the pipework. Mildly irritating about the knobs, though. I would have thought that would've been caught at the EP stage, but if the J15's anything to go by, it may have slipped through.... :dontknow:

Either way, we'll see when they appear.

Mike.

Hopefully the 700  will have a similar mechanism to the J15 and perform as well. Could the 0-6-0 mechanism design also be used for a new version of a Dean Goods to cover a third party....?

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 2