Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Where are the EWS models? (in 4mm/00)

• RMweb Premium

Hornby have announced that the 67 is being released in 2014 in Royal colours and yet another plain Arriva blue version. I can understand the regal skip, but not the blue one.

There aren't any EWS 66's in the Bachy catalogue at the moment. AFAIIA, the only EWS 66 about to be released is a limited edition from Lord & Butler - 66050. (I know that the Model Rail ECR 66 is just about to hit the rails, but not strictly speaking, EWS).

EWS 66/67's generally  seem to going for good prices on auction sites.

Surely now, the time is right to release another EWS liveried 66 and/or 67 - especially the 67, as Hornby's original 67 release of 67001 is now in Arriva blue.

Is the dearth of EWS stuff down to DB Schenker reportedly wanting large licence fees for use of the EWS logo? (Which is why Fox Transfers withdrew it's EWS range)

Cheers,

Mick

Mick, Olivia's Trains is also doing a class 66 in EWS livery - 66111 with Highland Stag which is due for release sometime in 2014 I believe.

I too am after a couple more EWS 66's so heres hoping Bachmann announce something in July.

• RMweb Premium

Mick, Olivia's Trains is also doing a class 66 in EWS livery - 66111 with Highland Stag which is due for release sometime in 2014 I believe.

I too am after a couple more EWS 66's so heres hoping Bachmann announce something in July.

O/T.

Already have 111........

There is a macabre story about that one. I photted it about 45 mins before it had a "one under". WIth a friend of mine in the secondman's seat.

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Apparently DB want a big markup on the ECR shed, hence the price.

Didn't know about the Lord and Butler L/E? Any details?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72843-66050-ews-energy-limited-edition/&do=findComment&comment=1068216

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 months later...

Don't forget, the licensing issue is not just DBS and EWS,

DBS retains ownership and copywrite etc for the following and they now have to be licences........

EW&S

Coal Sector

Metals Sector

Distribution Sector

Construction Sector

RES

And any wagon, coach or item that carries any of these logos etc.

Maybe one day they will wake up like UP did in the States, but for now it makes life.........difficult!

Cheers

Dave

Anyone know what sort of licensing fee they want for those things? And is it a fee for each individual item in the production run, or one per model variant (catalogue number)?

It's a fee up front, plus a percentage sum from each sold and some free models too.

HTH

Dave

Yes, it does seem a bit lame - particularly for "historic" or non-current liveries that they had no hand in creating (from above, EW&S, Coal Sector, Metals Sector, Distribution Sector, Construction Sector, RES), which somewhat negates the argument that the model manufacturer is making money off the back of the logistics company's corporate design expenditure. 

Corporate bean-counters - second against the wall come the revolution...

• RMweb Gold

The usual solution seems to be to just not produce them until their pr dept realise DRS and Freightliner are getting all the publicity and drops the majority of restrictions. A few free models to check they accurately represent the company image seems ok but fees, a percentage and models is just trying to emulate brands like Coke which have a much wider collector base. Controlling your image is completely understandable and I guess some DBS accountant has identified it as another revenue possibility rather than free advertising, how it has changed since the early days of EWS.

• RMweb Gold

Might be they see it as a way of stopping others making money off their image. The big brands like Coke set a precedent so others follow because they know people want it, so maybe they hope consumer pressure will force model companies to pay due to demand like UP did in the US. It took a lawsuit in the US from a wealthy individual to take them on.

Probably the most effective route would be modellers asking in the railway press why and get a public response as to their policy. Neither position is wrong or bizarre in any way and I'd guess Stobart, (also logistics), are successfully getting royalties so it's more about trying to revive the traditional way on goodwill than criticising them for doing what private companies are set up to do, maximise profit to shareholders ;)

Given that there are plenty of Arriva models, plenty of DB Fernverkehr models, plenty of DB Regio models and so on and so forth, it might be worth making enquiries with the parent PR department in Berlin.

DBS might be a private company, but they are majority publically owned.

This is a pathetic, small-minded idiotic situation.  No excuses should be made for the shower of clowns.  None whatsoever.

What we need in this country is a Common Sense Tsar, who, when made aware of this sort of silly stand-off, has the power to blow his or her bugle, and demand that the upstart party just behaves properly.  If they fail to do so, they are put in the stocks and have rotten eggs thrown at them.

• RMweb Gold

. No excuses should be made for the shower of clowns. None whatsoever.

Er they aren't doing anything loads of other companies aren't in brand licensing. To be honest we are lucky it's taken until now. Eurostar have been doing it for years. A bit of gentle pressure through the model or railway press is about all you can hope for but as they don't have a charismatic figurehead that likes to get positive press I can't see much hope.

If someone were to find out the address and start a polite, without the 'they're stupid' comments, and large scale letter writing campaign you might get somewhere.

Rants and insults won't get us anywhere with a big corporate marketing department.

• RMweb Premium

Is it because EWS is defunct as a brand? i.e. they will allow current brands (for a fee).

After all Arriva is a DB company (although not DBS) and Hornby are producing Arrive blue 67s

No licensing issues with the blue 67001-67003 as they don't carry any branding at all!

Cheers,

Mick

My understanding of this is that manufacturers previously had to deal with EWS at Doncaster but this now has to be done through Berlin. A German manufacturer does not require a license to produce DB livery in Germany as it is a nationalised industry – but its British office would. Licensing only became an issue on model railway items after privatisation (now approaching 20 years ago) as BR used to (through its Public Affairs operations) work closely with the model railway manufacturers. To produce a Class 66 you need a license from the locomotive manufacturer (was GM now EMD), the owning operator and if it is in a customer livery (eg Stobart) a license from them too.

At least one transfer manufacturer gave up on trying to introduce GNER transfers due to them charging substantial amounts whilst Virgin  actively encouraged the model manufacturers to reproduce its livery and its then new trains (Class 220 / 221 and 390) a decade or so ago.

It is so much easier to produce models of BR or its predecessors without employing a legal team to do so.

Archived