Sandhurst - So long and thanks for all the fish(plates)

nest

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes I remember now, I'll have a look tomorrow evening. What about the wooden shells?

I realise this is all pretty meaningless to those of you not members of the Brighton MRC...I make no apology :blum:

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

Progress has ground to a temporary halt due to work but I'm hoping to get some stuff done on Monday and Tuesday...watch this space

I've also started a blog to cover my non-Sandhurst related ramblings, I'll let myself explain it more over there...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1715/entry-15263-just-the-beginning/

More to follow on Monday!

Nestor

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cheers Jaz! Same to you and yours :)

All has been a bit quiet here with work/Christmas/music/holiday (take your pick haha)

Hopefully there'll be some progress in the new year so stay tuned...

Nestor

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

New year, new beginnings (I've got to stop using that phrase)

Well I've made a decision that is sure to ruffle a few feathers somewhere, I've dismantled Sandhurst. Hear me out.

This layout has become more of a chore than hobby. I had long hard think over the holiday period and realised that I was making more excuses not to do any work on the layout than was probably healthy. It's been going for about a year now and really the last few months have seen next to no progress. Now, this is not a loss of modelling mojo. Some of you may have seen my ramblings (over in the blog section) and will be aware of my plans for a new micro layout based on Irish practise. I want to put as much energy into this as possible as I don't have a huge amount of time in which to build it.

Reading George's Hempshaw topic has also opened my eyes to a few things about the planning process. I was never entirely satisfied with the track plan on Sandhurst, as can be seen by its constant changing so everything I build from now on will have a totally set trackplan that I know I'll be 100% happy with before I start as opposed to half way through construction.

I wish to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread over the last year, made many a new friend and picked many a new idea from the suggestions made.

I'll post a link to whatever comes next as soon as it's ready. It'll probably be on my blog but stay tuned.

Thanks

Nestor 

Hi Nestor, we've all been there mate, MORE THAN ONCE, and so all I can say is the very best of luck with the new project.

I recommend a Pint of Guinness before each modelling session and then TWO after, it will all look good then, hhahhaha. 

All the best.

New year, new beginnings (I've got to stop using that phrase)

Well I've made a decision that is sure to ruffle a few feathers somewhere, I've dismantled Sandhurst.

Hear me out.

This layout has become more of a chore than hobby.

I had long hard think over the holiday period and realised that I was making more excuses not to do any work on the layout than was probably healthy.

It's been going for about a year now and really the last few months have seen next to no progress.

Now, this is not a loss of modelling mojo.

Some of you may have seen my ramblings (over in the blog section) and will be aware of my plans for a new micro layout based on Irish practise.

I want to put as much energy into this as possible as I don't have a huge amount of time in which to build it.

Reading George's Hempshaw topic has also opened my eyes to a few things about the planning process.

I was never entirely satisfied with the track plan on Sandhurst, as can be seen by its constant changing

so everything I build from now on will have a totally set trackplan that I know I'll be 100% happy with

before I start as opposed to half way through construction.

I wish to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread over the last year, made many a new friend and picked many a new idea from the suggestions made.

I'll post a link to whatever comes next as soon as it's ready.

It'll probably be on my blog but stay tuned.

Thanks

Nestor 

A very good decision on your part Nestor, wish you well with the  new project,  just goes to prove,how much you learn from this forum.

I am sure whenever you start, you will get a lot of support.

I too, thought over the holidays', I could make DP simpler and less time consuming.

from now on will have a totally set trackplan that I know I'll be 100% happy with

• RMweb Gold

Cheers guys, much appreciated. Although Andy, I've always been more an Ale drinker than stout. There is all of one that seems to be available in that part of the world for those of us who never really got on with Guinness....

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again guys

I've updated my signature to include my blog as that's where I will post updates on the new thing. The reason for this is the pace at which I will be working will be too intermittent to sustain a thread I think.

Cheers

Nestor

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with the  new project sounds interesting, I love micros 

Always liked your modelling so I hope we haven't lost a southern modeler for too long

Anyway when it comes to protracted projects I win . I'm still keeping going with Portsea and will post soon if I can find the thread among the cobwebs and dust in the farthest dingiest corner of the attic of the interweb

I've just read this Nest, a shame but I know exactly why you're doing what you're doing; my 'other' hobby is building scale model aircraft. I was a 'serious' modeller, wrote articles in magazines, and started to suffer from AMS - advanced modellers syndrome- where everything you do isn't quite good enough, but has to be perfect., so you never finish things, it becomes a chore.

I returned to model railways as a cure for AMS....and whereas I want 'Swanhurst' to be as good as I can make it, I hope I never get to the state I get/got with my planes! It shouldn't I hope!

You've made the right decision......and Harvey's bitter will help you out....in moderation of course!

Archived