RMweb

Sandhurst - So long and thanks for all the fish(plates)

nest

• RMweb Gold

I think I've discovered the seed to all this finescale lark that I'm jumping head first into, as of today I'm no longer a teenager. This has obviously had an effect on my approach to the hobby, no longer do I recklessly throw things at a baseboard and hope for the best like the rebellious young teen I was. In these adult days, it's all about taking my time and seeing what works best. Oh and moaning. A lot.

...I already miss being 19...

Nestor (terribly terribly old of Brighton)

Happy Birthday Nestor, All the best Adrian

I absolutely didn't just order 4 metres of C&L finescale track in an attempt to see how much I really want to tear my track and start again...

Stay tuned for further developments...

Nestor

What is wrong,(we all know the debate's elsewhere)..........with Peco 100......... :paint:

Work's well for me, when laid and ballasted..................... :O

14686891034_1a70590095_o.jpgP1100573(1) by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

• RMweb Gold

Oh nothings wrong with it at all.

I just want to try something new that I feel can look better. You are right though, if ballasted well it can look great.

As I say, just trying something new and different...I like the challenge...he said bravely!

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nestor me again, the Sentinel-Cammell Special railbus built in 1933 numbered 6 in the SR's railcar list, had been designed for use on the Devil's Dyke branch. But proved to be unsatisfactory on the line, and on the second of March, 1936 started work on the Westerham Valley Railway, it only lasted till April 1937 and was broken up in 1946. This would make a very interesting model.all the best Adrian

post-17489-0-85601100-1411737676.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nestor me again, the Sentinel-Cammell Special railbus built in 1933 numbered 6 in the SR's railcar list, had been designed for use on the Devil's Dyke branch. But proved to be unsatisfactory on the line, and on the second of March, 1936 started work on the Westerham Valley Railway, it only lasted till April 1937 and was broken up in 1946. This would make a very interesting model.all the best Adrian

It also spent a month in the Hawkhurst branch I think in 1935 but someone may wish to correct me on that...

• RMweb Gold

I should clarify that I'm not planning totally starting again, the dyke branch is just something I've always been interested in. A project for the future rather than the present.

I am however going to be starting again with the track on Sandhurst as I will be more satisfied with finescale stuff. I've even downloaded templot! This will be a learning curve so will probably be relatively interesting. Now the baseboards are up more or less permanently I will be able to do a better job with laying the track over the baseboard joins, hopefully making it more seamless. A small revision of the track plan will be required as the finescale points will undoubtedly be longer than there Peco counterparts.

This all means that there will be more in the way of updates...I'll have to change the topic title...

Nestor

Hi Nestor, glad your going finescale, it will be worth it, as for baseboard joins, well George uses brass or copper to fix the track to something solid to the rail ends don't get damaged, other people use Brass nainls into the board and solder the rail to them.

Just some ideas for the board joins mate.

• RMweb Gold

And so fair well old Code 100, I will miss you but I've got to move on. Believe me, it's not you it's me. I just have to move on in life and you can no longer be part of that. I hope your future is just as brilliant as your past. One day you'll look back and thank me...

post-12048-0-14147500-1411751439_thumb.jpg

post-12048-0-20873700-1411751444_thumb.jpg

Your old faithful Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Been a little quiet for a couple of days. I've now taken up all the track and am beginning to plan for the new stuff. I'm going to order some more of the C&L stuff either this evening or tomorrow.

On the subject of points, I've been discussing the subject with someone at my club who has kindly offered to show me what needs doing and discuss how to go about it. This will be very helpful as I am still unsure exactly what I'm doing but this is all part of the challenge.

post-12048-0-72328200-1412088593_thumb.jpg

Till next time!

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

So I had quite a long chat today with someone from my club on building points which has left me feeling somewhat more confident than I did before. I'm hoping to start the first one some point in the next two weeks, there is some equipment I need to get as well as the parts for the point itself (namely copper clad sleepers and bullhead rail).

I'm going to use the time before that to work on some of my stock. This will including some more attempts at weathering and finishing my C class (adding the new logos and weathering).

Nestor

• RMweb Premium

Good on ya Nest, as we say down here. Once you've had a go I reckon you'll never look back. Better looking points, better running points (perhaps not the very first one you build!), points built to suit the layout rather than the other way round, and points that cost about a quarter as much as ready-made ones. I haven't bought a ready-made point for nearly 40 years.

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon one and all

So today, I started the preparation for the new points. I've got me a brand new soldering iron and some files. All very exciting. I'll be ordering the rail and sleepers later this week.

I'm also borrowing a fellow club member's hand built point from several years ago. I've been using this as a starting point for planning where the new ones will be. The plan is essentially staying the same with some minor changes in terms of the length of the turnouts in the station throat. The increase in length will hopefully give it a more flowing look as my previous effort looked a little clunky to me. 

post-12048-0-55780700-1412250759_thumb.jpg

More to follow...

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Following on from my previous post earlier today, I have now ordered rail and sleepers and eagerly await their arrival.

I've also ordered more C&L flexi track.

One could say it's ALL KICKING OFF...

Nestor

Archived