Sandhurst - So long and thanks for all the fish(plates)

nest

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nestor. Looking great! Have you been using that technique using lichen soaked in PVA  and then covered in scatter that I showed you down the club?

Mixture of that and spray on glue. I don't use lichen on it's own as well so there are always other materials in with it.

Also thanks for bumping the topic up to 9 followers. I believe one more and I have to have a slice of cake right? xD

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Morning everyone

Some context to my earlier comments.

The Kent Woodware company's buildings I referred to took up a rather large area next to Hawkhurst. My thoughts are that I could potentially create a small corner of a similar arrangement at Sandhurst in the area I pointed out as needing to fill. I am currently thinking possibly a low relief version of one of their timber built buildings and a couple of the bunches (?) of wood waiting to be taken to be turned into all manner of furniture. Comments welcome

post-12048-0-09452300-1404727245_thumb.jpg

(no copyright infringement intended)

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

It appears the topic has ten followers...better find some cake... :D

(I'm planning to do some more on the layout tomorrow so I should have an update at some point in the afternoon, keep your eyes peeled!)

Nestor (greedy of Brighton)

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys

Work on the trees today continues.

I've experimented with using sea foam (the stuff out of the forest in a box) as foliage for the first larger tree. I'm quite pleased with the result, however, at some point over the weekend I'm going to give it a go over with a dark green aerosol as it's looking pretty autumnesque at the moment. 

post-12048-0-54050600-1405090016_thumb.jpg

post-12048-0-05485700-1405090028_thumb.jpg

post-12048-0-30008500-1405090039_thumb.jpg

post-12048-0-43985500-1405090047_thumb.jpg

The area next to it (currently just brown paint) will eventually be full of trees, providing a forest to act as a scenic break.

This last photo shows some of the other trees in progress in testing positions...

post-12048-0-11360800-1405090060_thumb.jpg

More to follow

Nestor

It appears the topic has ten followers...better find some cake... :D

(I'm planning to do some more on the layout tomorrow so I should have an update at some point in the afternoon, keep your eyes peeled!)

Nestor (greedy of Brighton)

Better get another cake.........Please send it 1st class, Signed for............

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

No work as yet this week due to various reasons (namely laziness...) however tomorrow I'm hoping to get on with some more tree work and also get on with wiring prep.  

Also, I'm really beginning to plan out a back scene and am hoping to do a mini mock up before setting off on the actual thing.

Photos to follow tomorrow!

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Hello Nestor,  Know how you feel just spent a week building 'Ashcombe' very tired,  cracking trees you are making, very good

George

Cheers George, still much to do in the tree are (including making a fair amount more...)

As there is no time limit on the layout, I tend to either spend the week doing absolutely nothing on the layout or doing nothing but work on the layout...it is all dependent on how 'inspired' I'm feeling.

At the moment, I'm in need of something to really kick me up the modelling arse and get going again properly (like I was a few weeks back). it will happen, just a matter of when...

Nestor (lazy of Brighton)

Hello Nestor,  l think we all go through that at sometime, l know l do, l have done so much to my layout because l have been on holiday, so things have got done, but they will soon slow down when l'm back to work.

George

Nest, that's an interesting photo in post #80, I think you will find though that the 'stacked timber' are the long poles between which netting was strung and up which hops grew.

Hawkhurst was the centre around which in the surrounding beautiful countryside, the famed Kentish hops were cultivated.

If you haven't seen it an interesting book on subject of the Hawkhurst Branch, hops, hop pickers and the hops traffic has been published.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Thanks for your input :)

One of the motivators for taking Hawkhurst as the starting point was the hop picker trains. It's essentially an excuse to run very varied stock.

There are three books that I know of devoted to the branch. The most well known being the Middleton press publication which I own. The best however, is probably the huge "The Hawkhurst Branch" by Brian Hart. Unfortunately, this is now out of print. I am lucky to be a 'country member' of the Model Railway Club at Keen House where this book is part of their extensive library so I have had the opportunity to study it intently... 

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

Apologies for a lack of updates recently. I simply haven't had the time to complete any work on the layout. This is becoming frustrating but there is nothing that can be done about that. I promise to try and do something over the weekend (on Sunday) as I do really want to be getting on with things. I had got into quite a stride recently but a mixture of hot weather and work have got in the way...

But yeah, updates will hopefully be coming this way soon!

Watch this space...

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

The best however, is probably the huge "The Hawkhurst Branch" by Brian Hart. Unfortunately, this is now out of print.

I just bought a new copy from British Railway Books http://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/books/ISBN/1874103542.php

You're right about it being the best - it's a magnificent work, definitely a must for anyone interested in the line.

Regards

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys

It was good to meet a couple of members at Tinkers Park on Saturday and put some faces to names!

I have a couple of days off work so am hoping to (actually) get on with something on the layout. Stay tuned...

Also, apologies for the lack of updates....

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

A request for assistance!

Just wondered if anyone had used MJT southern concrete platform castings before and if so what they had used for the platform surface?

Thanks in advance!

Also I have some photos of work on the layout which I'll upload this evening :)

Nestor

A request for assistance!

Just wondered if anyone had used MJT southern concrete platform castings before and if so what they had used for the platform surface?

Thanks in advance!

Also I have some photos of work on the layout which I'll upload this evening :)

Nestor

yep............post-13585-0-83858200-1407247365_thumb.jpg

Balsa top, casting's, foam bottom

post-13585-0-12494800-1407247593.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone

As I said earlier I have some photos of the little bit of work I did today on the layout...

It is admittedly only a little bit but I can the feel the bug returning... :) 

So basically today has consisted of preparing the surface for the Kent woodware area. This so far has involved sticking card down. Onto the card surface, grassy gravel will be added and then I'll cross the bridge of how to go about modelling the wood bundles... 

post-12048-0-32216000-1407257066_thumb.jpg

It soon transpired that more bits of heavy crap that I had lying about were needed to keep the card from popping up off the PVA...

post-12048-0-81527400-1407257071_thumb.jpg

I'll post updates on this as and when they happen

Stay tuned

Nestor

Evening all

No modelling updates due to having an unusually busy week. Instead I've just taken some general photos of the scenic section of the layout for purely narcissistic purposes...  

attachicon.gifIMG_4014.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4015.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4016.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4017.JPG

Also, using keyboard stands to hold the whole thing means that every now and then the portability of the layout is put to the test when said stands are being put to their actual gig worthy use...

attachicon.gifIMG_4001.JPG

Finally, on a totally unrelated note, They've let London Road (Brighton) go a bit...

attachicon.gifIMG_4018.JPG

You can't really see in the above photo but it gets worse just beyond the end of the platform on the Brighton bound side.

Not only secondary forgotten lines that end up totally overgrown...

Nestor

You want to see Lovers Walk Nest, it was never this bad when I first started 7 years ago.

Archived