SR 4Lav EMU

5Bel

Finally got the 'box' soldered together and found that it did fit with a few mm to spare around the cast 2-BIL motor housing. 

attachicon.gif006.jpg

I take it that you have used the Hornby BIL/HAL chassis?

I've used it on a Phoenix 4COR with success, Worsley's 4LAV is another project when financies permit.

I've been watching this thread with interest.

Chris.

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed Chris.

The dimensions of the Worsley etches fit quite well. They were only 'plonked on' for the picture but l think that the BIL chassis will have to be marginally lengthened at each end. I'll report when l have some time.

One thing to note is if you do order from Worsley and you want to fit door hinges make sure that you ask Allen for the holes to be etched. I forgot!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes indeed Chris.

The dimensions of the Worsley etches fit quite well. They were only 'plonked on' for the picture but l think that the BIL chassis will have to be marginally lengthened at each end. I'll report when l have some time.

One thing to note is if you do order from Worsley and you want to fit door hinges make sure that you ask Allen for the holes to be etched. I forgot!

I'll remember if I buy any more

Yes indeed Chris.

Thanks for that.

• 11 months later...

Hi All,

Over a year since I posted anything in this thread. Where does the time go??? The painting of the bodies is now complete. All brush painted with Precision SR EMU stock green which is a good match for colour photos and also matches Humbrol Stock green which is no longer available. Roofs are Humbrol 32. I used Markits lamp tops for the TC and TCL in the absence of the Southern Pride ones. First time using the new format so hopefully pictures attached!

DSCF5676.JPG.ef7fe82589df586e5cd38041196ca0de.JPG

DSCF5677.JPG.c4338a04e6cb347986f111042a6a2375.JPG

DSCF5678.JPG.f476bc036dc465bac6b5be8d7650cded.JPG

DSCF5679.JPG.d72f36344276480275878e9322d17faf.JPG

DSCF5684.JPG.43c1709e62eae839b8da4576099ec82c.JPG

Now on to glazing, transfers, underframe and interior. I have decided to only have one project on the go at one time as I think I have worked out a method of producing a 6PUL DMBS from Kirk parts. Don't need any more distractions!!!

Cheers for now, Ian

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, 5Bel said:

Hi All,

Over a year since I posted anything in this thread. Where does the time go??? The painting of the bodies is now complete. All brush painted with Precision SR EMU stock green which is a good match for colour photos and also matches Humbrol Stock green which is no longer available. Roofs are Humbrol 32. I used Markits lamp tops for the TC and TCL in the absence of the Southern Pride ones. First time using the new format so hopefully pictures attached!

Ian, very impressed with the brush painting.  Great work.

Just wondering, did you thin down the Precision paint?

And how did you get on with the Humbrol on the roofs?  The coverage looks good.  Do you think Humbrol quality has improved since manufacturing has been brought back to the UK? 

Vivian

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling; also deleted duplication of photos

HI Vivian,

Thanks for the comments. I did thin down the Precision Green as it was the bottom of the tin. Couldn't tell you what ratios though, I just squeezed some thinner into it and mixed it! Same with the grey, this was nearly solid before I thinned it!! The EMU was sprayed in red oxide primer so the green took about 5 thin coats to cover it, the roof has had about 3 coats. I couldn't comment on the quality of the Humbrol paint as I can't remember how long I have had the tin, Could be years!! I've manage to source enough parts to have an attempt at a 6Pul  trailer composite so may give that a go as well.

Cheers for now, Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Nige,

Thanks for the comment. New job still on hold while our employer sorts itself out!! I have glazed the unit and applied the transfers. Still to put on the no smoking signs when I can find them!! Hopefully should have the interiors and underframes finished in a week or two. Glazing was a real challenge of concentration and willpower, it took over 6 hours to complete. The rest of the build will be easy by comparison!

DSCF5690.JPG.9d57b9593fac91eca5902f7c19427dd6.JPG

DSCF5694.JPG.8fbd0be4ba27be4404c08695a580d19a.JPG

DSCF5696.JPG.30cbdbb05344e3d34b501b0bdbeee579.JPG

DSCF5695.JPG.19fd17068c5fdc49b590ae220a0fc8c2.JPG

I've also made the sides of a 6PUL trailer second, after saying that I wasn't going to get distracted!!

Cheers for now, Ian.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

40 minutes ago, 5Bel said:

DSCF5690.JPG.9d57b9593fac91eca5902f7c19427dd6.JPG

DSCF5694.JPG.8fbd0be4ba27be4404c08695a580d19a.JPG

An interesting livery combination - early crest and yellow First Class line.

(Mind you - I know little about Southern Region EMUs) !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

41 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

An interesting livery combination - early crest and yellow First Class line.

Hi John,

I had to search for it!! There is a pic in Southern Region Electrics in Colour by Bruce Oliver. I wanted something a bit different because SR Green can be much the same when you have a bit of it. 

53 minutes ago, garethashenden said:

How did you do the glazing? I have a 2Bil in the to-build pile but haven’t given much thought to the glazing yet.

Gareth,

All the windows are glazed separately using OHP film, when I glazed my KIrk 2Bil I flush glazed the whole unit, took me quite a while!!

Cheers for now, Ian.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

A quick update on the 4Lav, I have added all the interiors and fixed the commode handles in place, the bodies just need a tiny bit of finishing and they are done. The headcode is from a Hornby 2Bil.  I have painted out the yellow first class stripe as I have changed my mind as to what period I want to model my green SR electrics. Doing this also means I will have to paint grey panels on my 4Vep and repaint my green Bep and Hap!  

DSCF5702.JPG.6dbb30fad7b1e9976089b996c4458e3f.JPG

DSCF5706.JPG.5a0537cf9e27db03c0941ad0ad00707c.JPG

DSCF5708.JPG.363829ea3796b9d07ca790994d52aec3.JPG

DSCF5710.JPG.3033a926088b00ec9b2048795f73362f.JPG

It's now onto finishing the underframes and giving them a coat of brown gunge, the power car has already had its motor bogie wired in and runs very well.

DSCF5713.JPG.e43c0bfe1640fa75ce35364d3d102590.JPG

To take my mind of commode handles I have made these sides. They are for a 6Pul trailer third, again made from Ian Kirk parts. The re- emergence of these parts is a real boon for us Juice fans, though hopefully this model won't take me the amount of time my 4Lav has! The Pullman car in this set will be cobbled together from a couple of old Triang Pullmans.

Cheers for now, Ian 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Excellent job you have done there.

Any chance you you could post some photos of the trailer roofs please?

i have taken over from John the build of his 4LAV trailers and would be interested in your take on the conduit layout.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Fine work there Ian.

For our 6-PUL I've gone down a similar road with Kirk sides. It;'s useful that Precision Paints can supply Kirk sides and other parts.

This DMBT will be an un-powered trailer. I'm not happy with the roof front and may re-work a Kirk 2-BIL one.

1226996340_6-PULDMBT1.jpg.ff287b5c3b9f6134113870055364898c.jpg598206763_6-PULDMBT2.jpg.f06e9284db71604c8a9f5f35d69576fa.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures that you might find useful. They come from Robert Carroll's archive.

This is a rare shot of a PAN TTK trailer.

1722330348_6-PANTTK1.jpg.26ef0e75946b776eeef464b40b01deb2.jpg1532798638_6-PULDMBT.jpg.027e8e5caa3d3155639181f215ecd13b.jpg 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The 4LAV looks really nice. I will have to have a look at the Pheonix website and order some Bil/coach parts and have a go at some point as it'll be something different to the Mk1 based units and 2Bil/Hal units I currently have for the layout I'm (slowly!) working on).

On 05/03/2019 at 22:25, Taz said:

Hi Ian,

Excellent job you have done there.

Any chance you you could post some photos of the trailer roofs please?

i have taken over from John the build of his 4LAV trailers and would be interested in your take on the conduit layout.

Thanks.

Hi Brian,

I will take some on Sunday as I am on days this week. John your DMBT looks good, that's the route I will take. Are your guards van sides the straight sides with a tumblehome put into them? I will try the 2Bil guards vans as I have some left over from the Lav. I have got Robert Carroll's archive on my favourites list, it is a great reference for EMU modelers. Kelly, cutting and shutting these parts is a good exercise and good value with the Kirk parts.

Cheers for now,

Ian

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, 5Bel said:

Are your guards van sides the straight sides with a tumblehome put into them? I will try the 2Bil guards vans as I have some left over from the Lav.

Hi Ian,

Yes, I made horizontal cuts at the back which made them easier to curve and flooded them with MEK then left them to harden off.

Hi All,

The 4Lav is now complete and ready to go. I have really enjoyed the process since I restarted the project. I now have a model that you don't see everyday, indeed I can't recall ever seeing a model of a 4Lav on any of the SR electric layouts I have seen. Brian I have taken some photos of the roof details I hope they are of use. The cars are coupled together with a simple bar coupling and will go around a 3ft radius curve. I just need a layout now to run it on!! 

DSCF5719.JPG.43b4d2d5a4a5dae04a03214effe050c9.JPG

DSCF5720.JPG.9a27fdf8ded55c09afa1678bc2fb1407.JPG

DSCF5721.JPG.cc3b4f4bc8756a0b7b065a638d9a4257.JPG

DSCF5724.JPG.715f5a1a73e5ab718b636dc94a96ce28.JPG

DSCF5725.JPG.c0c8f24e6ee08a63a4e252718688fb08.JPG

DSCF5732.JPG.786ee3970d5a8ba09437464f29bc655b.JPG

DSCF5731.JPG.0d5bb07547be3fdca715dd7391371ccc.JPG

I have a whole loft load of projects but have told myself I am only going to do one at a time, we will see how that goes!!!

Cheers for now, Ian

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Ian for posting those pictures. They will be very useful indeed for both Brian (the intermediate trailers) and me (the DMBTs)

A fine piece of work there. Really excellent.

Edited by Re6/6

Well done on the completion of the 4LAV. Its a cracking model and looks better than the resin moulded version. I will have to start a piggy bank so that I can have ago as I would like at least one unit.

Keith(bought up next to the Brighton Line)

1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

Well done on the completion of the 4LAV. Its a cracking model and looks better than the resin moulded version. I will have to start a piggy bank so that I can have ago as I would like at least one unit.

Keith(bought up next to the Brighton Line)

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the comments. The beauty of using the Kirk sides is their cost. This unit has been completed for a fraction of the cost of the Resin bodied version and as you say looks a lot better. Brian, John I'm pleased the photos have been of use. I will be continuing slowly with the 6Pul but I have all the parts to complete another Replica 4Epb so that will be the next EMU onto the workbench.

Cheers for now, Ian