Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

• RMweb Premium

Well Evening Star is/was a 9F as well....

(Oh and the flangeless centre driving wheels are as per the prototype before we start digging up that old chestnut)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

the only one I can find at Banbury is 92028 from the 6.3.1965.

was Kettering 15c a sub shed to Leicester 15c as I am trying to find one  for Leicester or I can find is Kettering?

Edited by farren

Wellingborough was the main depot for the 15 area, as 15A, up 'till September 1963, with Kettering as 15B, and Leicester as 15C. From Sept., 1963, Leicester was upgraded to 15A, with the other two down graded by one, as Wellingboro'=15B, Kettering=15C.

Just received the new Hornby Magazine with the special Hornby supplement. It is very clear that the two version Hornby are going to produce are both in Crosti form, with and without smoke deflector. The converted Crosti version is not currently planned. A great shame as they last much longer in the later form and were much more widespread before they were concentrated at Birkenhead and Speke Junction.

Just received the new Hornby Magazine with the special Hornby supplement. It is very clear that the two version Hornby are going to produce are both in Crosti form, with and without smoke deflector. The converted Crosti version is not currently planned. A great shame as they last much longer in the later form and were much more widespread before they were concentrated at Birkenhead and Speke Junction.

A great shame indeed...!!!!!  The converted form would be high on my wanted listed, perhaps even higher than the originals.  But I cant make my mind up which of the two original types I would want, with or without deflector.

Just a bit of confusion when talking with pals earlier this evening.

The Crosti is advertised as two offerings.......early and late types.

Does this mean early as in the very first appearance, without smoke deflector.?

And late means with the smoke deflector.??

Or is the late version the rebulit post 1959 version.?

Might mean those delivered early taking everyone by suprise and those delivered late as expected ............. :biggrin_mini2:

Seriously, I thing it is just two variants of Crosti's, not the converted type.

Both versions are pre-conversion to normal, so with and without smoke deflector. One question how many Crostis ran with the late crest before conversion? 

• RMweb Gold

Well Evening Star is/was a 9F as well....

(Oh and the flangeless centre driving wheels are as per the prototype before we start digging up that old chestnut)

If anyone's still worried about centre flanges you could always model this variant:

7843746978_de78c2f4bd_z.jpg

2-10-0 BR Class 9F Number 92028 with Franco-Crosti boiler under repair at Cricklewood (note missing driving wheel) in 1956 by North Hessary Tor Listener, on Flickr

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes it looks like Model Rail got it wrong . There are two versions but Crosti with and without smoke deflector. I certainly didn't know such a version existed, but it is clear from Hornby Mag that it is not a rebuilt Crosti

Edited by Legend

Having pre-ordered an 'early' Crosti', I looked further into the RCTS book. Given the speed with which the smoke deflector was fitted to the locos., the early crest version without deflector has a very short prototype time frame.

Perhaps a 'design clever' feature might be to supply the deflector as a separate part to be fitted as appropriate for both old and new crest versions?

Cheers,

Peter C.

Edit. In fact, reading further, if the deflector was supplied as a separately fitted part, the early crest model would cover all variants except the individual 92021, so really there only needs to be one model.

Edited by 45568
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...