Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

The lower 2/5 is clad with brickwork - laser-cut MDF brickwork! More of Tim's handiwork.

Just need to work out a few cutouts for windows and doors before going much further.

Cheers,

Mick

I look forward to seeing the laser cut brickwork, that will finish it off nicely.

• 1 month later...

Last night saw a huge milestone reached. With the help of a friend's van, DL was transported about 800 yards to wife's work where there's a spare room for three days.

attachicon.gifup1.jpg

It's the first time I've put the whole thing together.

I've never had more than four boards up at once before, so this is a new sight. 

attachicon.gifup2.jpg

attachicon.gifup3.jpg

This is the finger-crossing moment to see if it all fits

attachicon.gifup4.jpg

Huge sigh of relief..........

attachicon.gifup5.jpg

Attach a couple of wires and away we go. Honour fell to a DL specific purchase. One unattached wire soldered up and all was well.

attachicon.gifup6.jpg

attachicon.gifup7.jpg

attachicon.gifup8.jpg

The shortest road can actually hold a 2+8 HST...... (it's not on the shortest road.

attachicon.gifup9.jpg

Small side protectors are still to be added to the storage yard in the event of any derailments near the edge - also to protect the stock when we lean over the layout.

So it's a couple of evenings playing testing before it is dismantled for scenic work. The ground work has already been started, but there is much more work to be done. Most of it has been planned and there are a few items already in build so I'm not expecting any major problems in the next few months.

Cheers,

Mick

Is that where I usually have my breakfast!!!!

You have only got 15 months to finish it in time for DEMU Showcase 2017......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is that where I usually have my breakfast!!!!

You have only got 15 months to finish it in time for DEMU Showcase 2017......

No - this is in the other building.

15 months - pah! It has to be at a decently ready stage for this September........... Spike Scenics Ltd is on standby.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes!  :D

I can see the RTC track layout in the fifth pic down Mick, that's going to be superb when it's all sorted. 

How many APT-Es will you have on it?  :D

Thanks Kit.

Only 1 APT-E I'm afraid, (although I do wonder how many guest visits from others I'll get) however, I have built a siding specifically for it in the storage yard. It's the inner loop on the last but one pic.

Cheers,

Mick

Crumbs, nostalgia rules OK!  :D

5lBphh.jpg

Where did that pic come from then Andy?

It's on the wall in one of the buildings still on the rtc site, will try to add a you are here pin to pic, though not sure I have photo editing s/w on this hudl thingy?

Get kettle on I'm coming round for a play (or more likley ....A derailment, splitting points, wrong route setting,train rear colision ?....All operator failure) and when I say put kettle on I don't meet a k1 and west coast mk1s. Its looking good. G

It's on the wall in one of the buildings still on the rtc site, will try to add a you are here pin to pic, though not sure I have photo editing s/w on this hudl thingy?

I WAS here, back in the day if course.  :D

Mick, is the actual RTC Yard on DL lower than the main line? I recall we always  had to climb up onto the line alongside the Power Box, and found to our chagrin that E-Train couldn't do it on only three turbines!

iSrag8.jpg

• Like 3

If the pic uploads ok, I have a desk near the blue dot on Derwent House and the Map is on the wall of the building with the other blue dot.

As its persisting down at the moment, I ain't going out to check :)

post-1525-0-02039900-1457518816.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I WAS here, back in the day if course.  :D

Mick, is the actual RTC Yard on DL lower than the main line? I recall we always  had to climb up onto the line alongside the Power Box, and found to our chagrin that E-Train couldn't do it on only three turbines!

The mainline on the model climbs slightly once it's over the crossover - there is a difference of about 30mm between main and the siding by the EDU at the Long Eaton end.

Visible in this pic.

post-408-0-06955700-1457543913_thumb.jpg

It'll be more obvious when stock is in the siding, with a passing train on the main. (Will try and get a pic tonight)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A few more from another successful test session.

Showing the main line rising in front of the EDU shed.

post-408-0-64128300-1457562184_thumb.jpg

Looking back to the EDU

post-408-0-06071600-1457562188_thumb.jpg

And I couldn't resist a steam special.

post-408-0-96757800-1457562189_thumb.jpg

Two of the team had a look over it and have come up with some good suggestions for scenic ideas to enhance the appearance of the layout. Also some operational ideas that should make it easier and better at exhibitions.

It'll be dismantled tomorrow night and the storage yards will go into .... errr.. store for a couple of months, whilst the scenic work kicks on.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Will the back scene have the corner of Trent House on it? If so you could make it one of the days when I'm 'down south' causing havoc in a layout risk workshop and put me on with back to the window!

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Will the back scene have the corner of Trent House on it? If so you could make it one of the days when I'm 'down south' causing havoc in a layout risk workshop and put me on with back to the window!

Paul.

I'm hoping that the backscene will eventually have the flavour of the buildings between the main line and London Road, so probably, yes.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Its great to see you have got movement on the layout. Hmmm S stock TEA barriers and 4 20's?

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I'm hoping that guest operators may provide the answer to that question..............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1