Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

And here's a quick sketch of what I'm planning to do.

Overall size will be 24' by 8'6"

post-408-0-29149000-1425430189_thumb.jpg

The storage yards will be a simple 6 roads each way fanning out from the centre. I'll incorporate a crossover at each end on the curves, so I can swap stock from inner to outer circuits easily.

The longest roads should be about 14', going down to about 8' for the shortest. I have a variation that may mean the shortest is 10', but I'll only be certain of that when I have the boards and lay out the pointwork (must start saving up, as I need 24 of them.....)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A couple of weeks ago, I managed to airbrush the rail sides with a base layer of track colour.

Small strips of masking tape cover the gubbins of the point blades. These were later removed and carefully finished off with the airbrush.

20150318_124208.jpg.f58213bfe0920fe4e8b7684670dfd308.jpg

20150318_124200.jpg.0b85cde3f88f46141a783775437dbf75.jpg

Immediately after airbrushing a short section, the rail tops are wiped with a rag and thinners. The whole process was done outside on a decent day, so as to minimise any issues with breathing in solvents. And occasionally, a train would pass by........

20150318_124218.jpg.3c1da947b6b21abe779b915802e1f721.jpg

Various concrete cable trunking runs will be next, followed by ballast. Further airbrushing will be carried out to create more shades and colour tones

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Mick looks very good and matches the track in the background what Colour/paint did you use

Precision P977 Track colour. I'll be using various sleeper grime/dark rust colours later. to give more variation to the stabling and workshop roads.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

It was good meeting at York over the weekend Mick, and I've just read right through your thread on DL and I'm seriously impressed, looks a terrific project and I look forward to seeing it completed someday. Of course I'd prefer it to be in Red/Blue era, but I am a tad biased.  :no:

Being a trifle pedantic, the EDU stood for 'Engineering Development Unit' originally and it was the home of the DM&EE.

The Vehicles Laboratory was built as the 'Advanced Projects Laboratory' in 1969-70 and was where we did most of the work on the APT-E back then. The small extension building that you've drawn up was, and maybe still is, the Pump House for the large hydraulic system that feeds the test rigs in the lab itself and I was in charge of it from 1976 - 78. Nostalgia Rules OK.  :no:

Here's some of the pics I have of the RTC Yard that may be useful, plus the two that I mentioned that show E-Train with the Metro-Vic Co-Bo and also with the Clayton and Baby Deltic.

Hi Kit,

The photos are excellent reference material.

Likewise with the chat. Glad you like the layout thread - who knows, it may get backdated through Serco red/grey and RTC red/blue. And then if Rapido do the prototype HST power car...........................

I have a Clayton and Co-Bo somewhere and I could procure a Baby Deltic if needs be.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive not been on the RTC for a while but i love going into the APD lab building as its like stepping back in time in places, the 1980s BR signs are still up on a lot of the walls and doors and the control room is still there too

Love the pics mr tilt

Morning Mick

Track works coming along well with some nice weathering. Looks like a lovely view from the back of the house especially with the railway at the bottom of the garden. You hadn't better tell me where you live just in case I sign that bit of railway as you will be getting some nice friendly toots.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

eLmYmO.jpg

APT-E and the Co-Bo

QlHKk4.jpg

APT-E, Baby Deltic and Clayton

Great pics! I definitely think those last two need to go to the 'models can look just like the real things' thread though!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Smart phone  ...   smart screen   ...   smart car  ...   now  ...   Smart Board   .....................   does that mean  ...................

That's a bit smart that board

David

all you have to do is touch the board where you want the track and it just appears where you slid your finger across it  ......    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:   ............   and droppers soldered too?

Wow I like it  ... :sungum:  :sungum:   ...   I must ask Tim if he can upgrade my boards I got from him  ......   

• RMweb Premium
On 26/05/2015 at 22:49, newbryford said:

I received this photo today from Tim Horn......

attachicon.gifth1.jpg

:imsohappy:

Cheers,

Mick

And this was unloaded from my car earlier this evening.

th2.jpg.abef7b3f46d8da976a6111a45d3c45ed.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Much PVA has been consumed in the last few days building the Tim Horn baseboards. I have two almost completed, with another two half built. They are the baseboard equivalent of a Judith Edge kit. Read the instructions thoroughly and all will be well.

Pics soon.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Board time.....

When the real railway was relaid outside my house a few years ago, I persuaded the workers to "accidentally" leave  few fishplates on my side of the fence.... They make excellent weights.

th3.jpg.e673b59bc0da1af251c8947cbaa1d6ab.jpg

This the curved board with intermediate cross-pieces.

th4.jpg.2af9919929036ee41f8884236ff1c8d1.jpg

Tim has also supplied a few "C-shaped" pieces that can be used as a clamp to hold some pieces in place - they were designed by Tim's Dad...... They come in particularly useful when glueing the side pieces into place - even though I already have some conventional C clamps and sash clamps (I'll get a picture of those when I build the next boards)

th5.jpg.9e05b8f4a26f29405f3c4d6036370fbd.jpg

A view of the curved board

th6.jpg.4b7a2e9b82216ecabaa236eef4b11dc2.jpg

The first two in relation to each other

th7.jpg.ac0626152e979b1c28beeeb8c8a751c9.jpg

An underside view - the diagonal strengtheners have yet to be added - the orientation of which will be decided when I lay out the pointwork, so that they miss the point motors.

th8.jpg.2e20ab3ed63c42ceb660273d1fd0ebe8.jpg

The first building shell was collected yesterday - this is the EDU. The lower front of the shed has brick overlays - the upper section is various cladding/glazing that will be mae from various lastics

th9.jpg.249af52359aeba927b5c67b28d7362eb.jpg

The brick courses are laser "etched"

th10.jpg.0e87b428b5f6a8c5aaa6be0a878f5407.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 17