Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

Guest Digital

Really coming on nicely. Look forward to further updates. Will be great to see the finished layout at exhibitions.

John.

• RMweb Premium

Looks good Mick, trains running by next week? hahhaha

All the best mate.

Trains can run - it's just that they can't go all the way round - yet. Give me a couple of weeks............

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Deadman's Lane now has it's own depot stickers - thanks to one of the BM/NB (and future BF/DL) team.

1626352967_DLsticker.jpg.81caf10bcdac74ea34333a552eb4c6f5.jpg

Somehow, one found it's way onto a Voyager...............

post-408-0-79771500-1433971350_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edit: double post

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 11/06/2015 at 22:18, bradfordbuffer said:

Might be on HST power car tomorrow!

Like this?

1384097919_DLHST.jpg.ce88a8c4a0e6cb38dfdf770a563e2cf3.jpg

Board building progressing well - need to source legs soon.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

Guest eddie reffin

Yes, the board kits are absolute top notch. I have built 3 so far but needing a few more for my next layout project. Light, strong and put together in about 20 mins each with clamps

• RMweb Premium

Board construction continues as and when I find a spare 15 minutes. So far, four almost complete, awaiting diagonal bracing, but that depends on track layout. The other four are about 50% complete, with all main internal spars added and a couple of sides fitted.

Next stage will be to sort out the legs - I'm looking at using an extended sawhorse arrangement as used on the front boards. I've tracked down some very reasonably priced wooden sawhorses via ebay and have two on their way to trial.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Now that Perth Ex is done and dusted, I'm hoping to make serious progress on DL in the next few weeks. The last board is complete. Next step will be to add the higher side pieces to the curved boards and give the whole thing a layer of varnish to seal it. This will very much happen on an "as and when" basis in the next couple of weeks as time off from work allows.

I laid out a few of the boards to give me an idea of what it will look like - and how physically large it actually is......................

The dowel pins were screwed in and the boards simply slotted together.

This is half of the storage area.

post-408-0-17608200-1435623130_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-49873100-1435623131_thumb.jpg

I've been working on the arrangement of pointwork into the storage yards - as I had a couple of three way points for the original end-to-end temporary yards, they'll come in useful.

The main tracks will come in from the left - I've deliberately made them wide apart as it allows me to create slightly longer roads. I could've simply had a fan outwards to give me one very long road, stepping down to a short road 5&6, but this would mean that there was a possibility of having to fire 5 points simultaneously. So I've planned the pointwork so that the maximum that need to be switched in one go is four. This will help the capacitor discharge do it's work. (Initial plan is to have the points manually operated, but when time allows, they will be electrically operated.)

post-408-0-21803600-1435623128_thumb.jpg

Although I've lost the longest road, there is a mathematical logic in this. With a straight fan, I've calculated the length lost by adding up the number of points that each road has to traverse. With a straight fan from 1 to 6, the length lost through points is 1+2+3+4+5+5=20. With the above arrangement, the lengthy lost is 2+2+2+3+4+4=17. I know it's only a few inches, but when it comes to storage yards, total length available is important.

And finally, DL has a couple of appropriately coloured mascots.

post-408-0-10304500-1435623134_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 12

Back from china soon , I'll be round to give you a hand...

Not done any modelling for about a year .. Then twice in a week before I set off east ..

I'm doing some of my network rail vans ... Perfect for this job !

Cheers spike