Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Chris

I am with you in that I much prefer to build something, than buy it. You are quite right that up to 10/15 years ago you build a whitemetal loco, add extra detail and have something much better and in a lot of cases different to a RTR product. Now you would struggle to build something as good and the plethora of what's available is amazing

7 mm is still in the backwaters as to what's available when measured to 4 mm, the quality of what's available is outstanding. But you have to build a 7 mm Parkside or Slaters wagon, where as their 4 mm cousins do fall together. Yes the Ixion Hudswell Clarke is a super detailed model, but there is room to customise it. As for other items many you could pick up off the shelf you have to scratch build.

Turnouts are one example, in 4 mm scale Exactoscale make a whole range of special chairs for turnouts and crossings, these have to be scratch built in 7 mm

Keep up the thread, I for one am enjoying it

Guest Isambarduk

"It does seem to have become a "RTR kit."

Indeed!  This was a phrase that my wife coined when she saw mine all in bits:

GCR278InParts.jpg

I am not sure that it would be a good marketing tag line for everybody but it does have a certain appeal - what do you think, Chris?

"I'm tinkering away with mine at the moment. "

And I am sure that you'll be having great fun; how about some pictures?  (But don't follow my hijack of Chris's thread here, let's go to your thread at: www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69095-idea-conversion-of-ixion-hudswell-clarke).

David

Edited by Isambarduk

Wiring progresses and excitement is mounting among the residents at Cwm Bach as they might soon have a train service running. I have completed the wiring for the central board with the installation of the switch gear. The first shot shows the wiring arrangement for the DPDT switches that operate the Tortoise point motors. The leads to the motors had not been installed, but are soldered to the centre pair of terminals. Cutting, trimming, tinning and installing the short lengths of wire was only slightly less exciting than watching curling. The second shot shows the very simple control panel. The six switches on the left are for the points, the four on the right are SPST switches that will control the servo driven signals and gate. Cwm Bach is DCC powered so there are no track-feed section switches.

Also on view is Hawkesbury, one of my Ixion Hudswell Clarke projects. So far, she has had extra lamp-irons and a replacement smoke-door dart fitted and has had a respray with Halfords satin black. There is still plenty to do. 

post-13142-0-09735400-1398713285_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-94614700-1398713329_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-16256300-1398713369_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I assume the Hudswell Clarke is the Contractor's Loco for all this track laying?

Anyway, looking good Chris.  Will there be a banquet for 500 guests in the goods shed on opening day?

The contractor for some reason seems to have a lot of Hudswell Clarkes at his disposal, though the number is diminishing fast.    

I fear the goods shed - Post #126, page 6 - will not be big enough for a large celebratory repast. However, I am thinking of concealing the pillar that juts into the layout with either a large Non-Conformist chapel or miners' institute, which might be able to accommodate the well-wishers.

• Like 3

I'm still at work on the wiring of Cwm Bach. It's like climbing one of those mountatins with successive false summits and I'm continually tempted to break off and do other things. There is a Dragon Models kit of a Rhymney R Class 0-6-2T locomotive on the shelf crying out to be built, but I know that if I succomb to this temptation Cwm Bach's construction will be unacceptably delayed. Faced with this situation I decided to browse some albums this afternoon and re-discovered this photograph of Abergwnfi, the inspiration for Cwm Bach, by Trevor Owen. Two features stand out that I shall want to replicate vis the decrepit platform surface and the litter on the track. Suitably reinvigorated, I shall now return to sticking electrical wires into tortoises.

post-13142-0-35837000-1398959385_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

The tortoises have been electrified so the track and point wiring is completed on the main boards. The next two tasks are to work out the installation of the signals that will be driven by the new PECO servos and to assemble and fit some Lincs couplings so that I can install and test uncoupling magnets before ballasting. 

I've had a pleasant couple of hours today tidying up the wiring on Cwm Bach and running one of the Hudswells up and down all of the track. Tomorrow I will attempt to film some running,  though heavens knows how one gets the file from the camera to RMWeb. Meanwhile, I am compiling my list of procurements for the ALSRM show at Reading next Saturday, where I can usually be found hanging around the Dragon Models stand getting in Chris Basten's way. 

• Like 2

Far too nice outside for modelling so we went to Highclere Castle today, the set for Downton Abbey and also Sir Watkin Basset's country pile in Fry and Laurie's Jeeves and Wooster. There was even some railway interest with a wheelbarrow and the ceremonial shovel used by the Earl of Carnarvon to turn the first sod on the southern part of the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway. As we live only 25 minutes away we were back in time for me to mow the lawn before settling down to some recreation.  I have been running most of locos over the Cwm Bach track, which is operating satisfactorily. However, my Lionheart 64XX 0-6-0PT was misbehaving. It is has factory-fitted DCC sound and when I switched it on it started making all sorts of sounds including what seemed to be a class 03 diesel starting up, a Class 40 idling, a 1st generation DMU, someone hammering nails into wood and a whole variety of steam sounds playing at the same time. I had to resort to the usual IT immediate action vis switch off and switch on, which seemed to cure the problem. However, it happened again later on. I think I will take it to Reading next Saturday so that Richard Webster can look at it. Has anyone out there experienced a similar problem? 

• RMweb Gold

Background noises on the recording?

Good progress Chris. Wiring does take time even for an ex telephone engineer. It helps if you can get into a rhythm.

Like you I will probably spend a bit of time at Reading on the Dragon Models stand usually asking Chris rude questions like 'when will he do the Albion class'  I will say hallo if I get a chance.

Don

ps the Hudswell is just about right enough detail that you can leave it as it is but opportunities to add and modify for those who cannot leave something alone.

Background noises on the recording?

Good progress Chris. Wiring does take time even for an ex telephone engineer. It helps if you can get into a rhythm.

Like you I will probably spend a bit of time at Reading on the Dragon Models stand usually asking Chris rude questions like 'when will he do the Albion class'  I will say hallo if I get a chance.

Don

ps the Hudswell is just about right enough detail that you can leave it as it is but opportunities to add and modify for those who cannot leave something alone.

Thanks Don. I hope to see you on Saturday at Reading. Chaz Harrison of Dock Green will be accompanying me to the show.

Chris

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

An unashamed plug here Chris but your going to need a powerful loco to push them minerals up that gradient !!!!!! ;-)

Steve,

My expression of interest has been lodged with David Sharp. I suspect my version will somehow escape the NCB paint shop and survive in a tired looking BR mixed traffic livery. I was running my Kerr Stuart Victory 0-6-0T up and down the bank on the Cwm Bach colliery branch yesterday. She is a big beasty when seen alongside the Hudswell Clarke.

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Steve,

My expression of interest has been lodged with David Sharp. I suspect my version will somehow escape the NCB paint shop and survive in a tired looking BR mixed traffic livery. I was running my Kerr Stuart Victory 0-6-0T up and down the bank on the Cwm Bach colliery branch yesterday. She is a big beasty when seen alongside the Hudswell Clarke.

Chris

Examples were of course based in South Wales (so might well have been trialled on various branches :) ).

The Kerr Stuart is a beefy bit of kit and shows how dainty the Hudswell Clarke is.  I can see why the green Hudswell Clarke has sold out first, she really is a beauty.

Runs better than she looks as well, lovely little engine

• Like 1