Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

I'm just back from a couple of days in Devon. We visited the Bickleigh Railway Centre at the old Bickleigh station on the Exe Valley line from Exeter to Tiverton. It's a good activity for younger children and there are a few model railways in some old BR Mark 1 coaches including Chiltern Green. Anyway, on return home  it was into the garage to consider the next phase of work on Cwm Bach. It really ought to be ballasting the track, but I am always looking for a reason to procrastinate this  task and so I decided to look at the signalling. The signals are ready so I cut a whole in the board for one of them and a very splendid hole it is. Indeed, so good is it I may put them into mass production under the Ixion brand. After all, people don't buy drills because they want drills, but because they want holes so why not make and sell holes direct and cut out the Black and Decker middleman. But I digress.  The signals will be operated by the new PECO servos, an example of which is shown, installed beneath the boards. The final shot shows one of my pannier tanks waiting for the board to be pulled off. I will report on the installation when complete, which hopefully will be this weekend. Now I must complete my procurement lists for the ALSRM show at Reading tomorrow.

Toodle pip,

Chris

post-13142-0-90053100-1399665253_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-64899900-1399665274_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-51085900-1399665283_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

An impressive piece of signal construction Chris. Is the subsidiary arm a shunt ahead?

What is the origin of the 57xx?

Paul,

The subsidiary arm will be a shunt ahead. It's not strictly essential, but I think I can get away with it. The loco is a Tower Brass effort and I didn't realise how abominable the alleged top-feed was until the model arrived through the post. I will probably replace this loco with a JLTRT kit and and then sell this one. 

I have just returned from the ALSRM show at Reading. Best layout IHMO was Aber Emlyn from the Great Yarmouth MRC. It is a large GWR layout based on a South Wales Valleys theme with private colliery line and exchange sidings. It is what Cwm Bach would be like if I had more space. There was a beautiful Barry Railway 0-8-2T in pre-grouping livery, but the first loco I saw was a green Ixion Hudswell Clarke pulling a train of loaded coal wagons from the colliery to the exchange sidings. On some of the layouts I was disappointed once again to see poor running arising from failure to throw section switches (3 cheers for DCC), derailments and stalling followed by das fingerpokenmitkursundschweren. It was also annoying to see trains running against signals that could have been, but were not being operated properly. While I expect this in the smaller scales, it is simply not acceptable on 7mm scale exhibition layouts especially when one of them was a very well known celebrity layout. 

I shall now go and do some work on Cwm Bach while SWMBO is still at the cinema with one of our daughters. 

Regards,

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Before you permanently (F) locate your signal with the sub arm I'll delve out the lamp case pics I promised awhile back.  They're not good enough to indicate dimensions alas but they definitely show the shape and I think I've got one of the back as well as the front.

Guest Isambarduk

"I agree the crankpin nuts are the giveaway"  ....  "and that strangely shaped top feed"

... and also those unprototypically characteristic drawhooks that are fitted to all the models from the San Cheng stable.

"it is also missing the two bunker steps and the vertical handrail by the cab entrance"

All this is true but they are still very well engineered models that lend themselves to a bit of reworking (as 'we' well know).

David

Far too nice outside for modelling so we went to Highclere Castle today, the set for Downton Abbey and also Sir Watkin Basset's country pile in Fry and Laurie's Jeeves and Wooster. There was even some railway interest with a wheelbarrow and the ceremonial shovel used by the Earl of Carnarvon to turn the first sod on the southern part of the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway. As we live only 25 minutes away we were back in time for me to mow the lawn before settling down to some recreation.  I have been running most of locos over the Cwm Bach track, which is operating satisfactorily. However, my Lionheart 64XX 0-6-0PT was misbehaving. It is has factory-fitted DCC sound and when I switched it on it started making all sorts of sounds including what seemed to be a class 03 diesel starting up, a Class 40 idling, a 1st generation DMU, someone hammering nails into wood and a whole variety of steam sounds playing at the same time. I had to resort to the usual IT immediate action vis switch off and switch on, which seemed to cure the problem. However, it happened again later on. I think I will take it to Reading next Saturday so that Richard Webster can look at it. Has anyone out there experienced a similar problem? 

Funny you should mention that, Petes 74 pannier on Leamington sometimes makes bird noises !!!! He does the same thing switches the sound off then back on.

Hi Chris,

Did you get your LH pannier fixed? I have heard of one other with a similar problem (IIRC), yet most seem bomb proof.

Kind regards,

CME

Missed you t Reading Chris but I did buy a green Hudswell from the other Chis (Dragon). I feel a shunting layout comming on.

Don

Sorry I missed you Don. I was probably either gassing with John Emmerson or watching the superb Aber Emlyn layout in the other hall. Your purchase of a green Hudswell Clarke is sound. We are now out of stock so I suppose that makes them collectors' items now.

Regards,

Chris

"I agree the crankpin nuts are the giveaway"  ....  "and that strangely shaped top feed"

... and also those unprototypically characteristic drawhooks that are fitted to all the models from the San Cheng stable.

"it is also missing the two bunker steps and the vertical handrail by the cab entrance"

All this is true but they are still very well engineered models that lend themselves to a bit of reworking (as 'we' well know).

David

It runs well and I have found the bunker steps so they and a handrail can go on sometime, but the job is low priority right now.

A standard 3 tank on a Barry Island to Cwm Bach service would look just sublime !!!!

A Standard 3, a 15XX pannier and a 94xx pannier. Are you trying to render me insolvent Steve? 

Hi Chris,

Did you get your LH pannier fixed? I have heard of one other with a similar problem (IIRC), yet most seem bomb proof.

Kind regards,

CME

I forgot to take the loco with me and didn't have much time to speak to Richard Webster. I'll catch up with him when I'm next passing through Nailsworth. 

The Peco servos have been fitted and linked to the signal. I am trying to work out the programming. As I have now worked out how to reply to multiple posts on RMWeb, I think I should be able to crack the programming. 

• Like 2

One is not amused. I have spent a few hours yesterday and today installing the new Peco PLS-125 SmartSwitch Servo kit, which is to drive my semaphore signals. After completing the wiring per the ridiculously small wiring diagramme in the instruction booklet - yes I know I could have enlarged it on my copier - the moment came to energise and activate the system. I applied the 12v DC and the LED display on the Servo Programming Board illuminated. I then went to Servo Installation Mode, which is used to centre the servo drives before linking the servo to the signal; nothing happened, not a sausage, b*$$@r all. Immediate action: cock, hook and look; wiring looks ok; switch on power; fire button S3 and...nichts, niente, nothing. Very disappointed. Will be calling Peco tomorrow. 

If you decide to cut your losses on the Peco Servo controller I have a MERG servo board which is fully programmable (speed, direction and limit of travel) which you are welcome to. You will need the software to program the board - I have it installed in my laptop and would be quite happy to come round and do the deed.... LMK....

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

If you decide to cut your losses on the Peco Servo controller I have a MERG servo board which is fully programmable (speed, direction and limit of travel) which you are welcome to. You will need the software to program the board - I have it installed in my laptop and would be quite happy to come round and do the deed.... LMK....

Chaz

Thanks for the offer Chaz. A satisfied user on another forum is suggesting that the control board may be a dud. I think will have a chat with AC Models from whom I bought the equipment if Peco can't sort it out tomorrow. 

Chris

It seems that I had an unserviceable programme board, which has now been replaced. The platform starter and shunt-ahead have been programmed and are now working satisfactorily.I did not find the programming a simple task and there was rather more trial and error setting start and stop positions than I expected and would have preferred. However, this is the first time I have used programmable servos so my inexperience was probably the greatest impediment. I find the movement of the arms a little jerky at speeds in the one and two range, three seems to be better. The first photos shows the signals that have been linked up so far. The second photo shows the servos, no 1 drives the platform starter and no 2 drives the calling-on arm. I have included part of a Tortoise point motor in the frame for size comparison.The third photo shows the same servos and the control board. The white braided cable runs off to the programming unit. I have taken a short video clip of both arms in operation and will try to load it onto RMWeb.

post-13142-0-03241600-1399978115_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-66057500-1399978148_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-01168000-1399978175_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Glad you got it working. Would you know the answer to the following.

How many signals can these boards handle?

Also will the work servos on points?

Do they work with an anologue system?

The standard pack has a RRP of £65 contains four servos and everything you need to install the equipment including toggle switches. The servos will operate points, but they do not contain any gear for switching the polarity of the common crossings. Peco retail a device called Smartfrog for switching the polarity of the common crossings but they cost more than ten pounds each. The product as supplied is set up for analogue operation using single-pole, single throw toggle switches. Push-to-make switches can also be used with some extra programming to tell the control board they are being used instead of the toggle switches. I thought about using them for points, but was deterred by the need to use extra switching gear for the crossings and decided to stick with Tortoies motors because of the built in switches and because I have a considerable number acquired at low prices on trips to the USA. DCC operation of the Peco equipment requires the purchase of additional equipment. Cwm Bach is powered by DCC for the track and locos, but I prefer analogue control for points and signals.

I have taken a short movie clip showing the arms in action, but I am trying to work out how to load it up to RMWeb. Stay tuned.

Regards,

• Like 1

Thanks Chris

The layout is beging to look good.

My layout will be DC only. I suppose if you change the single pole to double pole switches you can do the frogs a the same time. I am not a great fan of push switches they always seem to fail quite quickly. I wll need to do some maths as I have a 14 odd points to do plus signals.

Thanks Chris

The layout is beging to look good.

My layout will be DC only. I suppose if you change the single pole to double pole switches you can do the frogs a the same time. I am not a great fan of push switches they always seem to fail quite quickly. I wll need to do some maths as I have a 14 odd points to do plus signals.

Yes, that would work for the points. Certainly far cheaper than Peco's preferred solution. 

It seems that I had an unserviceable programme board, which has now been replaced. The platform starter and shunt-ahead have been programmed and are now working satisfactorily.

I'm guessing that your layout will have no need for more than four servos for signals? If so the Peco kit you have will serve (now that it's working!).

If you decide to use servos  to switch your points the electrics should be straightforward. If the Peco driver board works in similar fashion to the MERG one then the switch that controls each channel is working as an on/off. Is that so? If it is then there is no problem at all switching common crossing polarity. Either replace the switches with DPDT and use the "other" pole as a polarity changer, or put in a relay - in parallel with the input to the driver board to mimic the position of the servo - and use a set of relay contacts to switch polarity.

Love the signal!

Chaz

PS - water under the bridge dept - the MERG DIY controller kit and four servos (buy them online - cheap as chips) is a much cheaper solution than the Peco - although you do have to join MERG to get the board.

Edited by chaz

I'm guessing that your layout will have no need for more than four servos for signals? If so the Peco kit you have will serve (now that it's working!).

If you decide to use servos  to switch your points the electrics should be straightforward. If the Peco driver board works in similar fashion to the MERG one then the switch that controls each channel is working as an on/off. Is that so? If it is then there is no problem at all switching common crossing polarity. Either replace the switches with DPDT and use the "other" pole as a polarity changer, or put in a relay - in parallel with the input to the driver board to mimic the position of the servo - and use a set of relay contacts to switch polarity.

Love the signal!

Chaz

PS - water under the bridge dept - the MERG DIY controller kit and four servos (buy them online - cheap as chips) is a much cheaper solution than the Peco - although you do have to join MERG to get the board.

Chaz,

I have positioned the goods loop starter, but it will have wait until the weekend before I can link it up and programme it. That will leave one servo, which will probably used to operate the private siding gate that you kindly gave me. I think I will stick with Tortoise motors for the motors as they are so easy to install and set up (and I have lots of them).

It is pleasing to see progressbeing made above the board at last. I will start ballasting at the weekend.

Chris