Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

I had some time today to do some work on Cwm Bach so laid a second road on the sector plate. I have decided to feed power to the rails via a simple arrangement of brass rod and tubing rather than permanent feed to all roads as originally planned (I did mention in another post that I tend to make things up as I go along). The first shot shows the alignment bolts. It all looks rather untidy so I may slap on some paint to improve the appearance. One more road needs to be laid and I'll probably install it tomorrow.

I have also enclosed a shot of a couple of locos on the sector plate. The 57XX is Bachmann Brass and the 64XX is the superb Lionheart model together with its Lionheart auto-coach mate. I have not yet summoned up the courage to weather the 64XX in its lovely BR lined-green livery. It will have to be done one day, but in the meantime I enjoyed running the auto-train up and down the layout this evening. The sound project on the 64XX is excellent. 

Regards,

Chris

Pretty much what I did on the sector plate on my home layout, Chris. However I only did one rail - only one is necessary for alignment purposes - the other rail of each line can be connected via a jumper wire. This can be a common connection. No need to rip out what you have already done but could save someone else a little work....

124-2469_IMG450x600_zps34b7b9c4.jpg

Please bare in mind that I considered the sector plate to be part of the fiddle yard so I made no attempt to make the track look realistic.

124-2478_IMG600x450_zps0273a3b4.jpg

The locking pins actually joined up three pieces of tube rather than two. The third piece was electrically isolated from the other two and it was this one that was electrically connected. So the track on both sides of the join was dead unless the locking pin was in place. My sector plate was used to swing a train from the layout to the fiddle yard in a "Y" configuration. By using the locking pins to complete the circuit like this I hoped to avoid any stock taking the long drop to the floor.

Chaz

• Like 1

Chaz & Dave Chris I like this way of aligning and providing the electrical connections so much so that once again I'll borrow your joint ideas and will blend it into one suitable for my situation.

Great stuff

Regards

I thought Steve Fay might enjoy this. The theory is that she might have wandered off the Brecon & Merthyr line to Cwm Bach following a trip to Newport. The Ivatt 2MTneeds to be renumbered, probably as a Brecon-based loco that would have run up to Moat Lane or down to Newport. I also need to procure and fit a suitable DCC sound decoder. More tasks to add to the list.

post-13142-0-35094000-1407012238_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Excellent - the Ivatts were lovely locos. I've had a soft spot for 46443 ever since we had her on hire at the Lavender Line years ago, and I had a day rostered on her.

IMG_1259_zps4ce04f1f.jpg

(There are photos of her unlined, before anyone worries about it!)

Edited by Giles
  • Like 9

Chaz & Dave Chris I like this way of aligning and providing the electrical connections so much so that once again I'll borrow your joint ideas and will blend it into one suitable for my situation.

Great stuff

Regards

Rabbit,  rabbit,  rabbit,  rabbit,  rabbit,  rabbit, rabbit,rabbit,rabbit,rabbit   :jester:

Edited by chaz

I thought Steve Fay might enjoy this. The theory is that she might have wandered off the Brecon & Merthyr line to Cwm Bach following a trip to Newport. The Ivatt 2MTneeds to be renumbered, probably as a Brecon-based loco that would have run up to Moat Lane or down to Newport. I also need to procure and fit a suitable DCC sound decoder. More tasks to add to the list.

South West Digital have the 2MT on their list of sound projects (I know 'cos I used it in a couple of my tank locos - yes alright, but can you remember what a J50 sounded like?).

South West Digital have the 2MT on their list of sound projects (I know 'cos I used it in a couple of my tank locos - yes alright, but can you remember what a J50 sounded like?).

Likewise I have used the SWT 2MT on a couple of my industrial locos. However, the recordings are now rather old and don't have a coasting sound. I'll ask SWD if they have updated the 2MT. Meanwhile, does anyone have experience with the Zimo 2MT decoder?

I know that loco!!

Remember to change the lamp irons to WR ones as well. I did that on my 46521 before I sold it. These are in my opinion the best locos to have come from Bachmann/ San Cheng/ Tower.

46443 might make an appearance in model Rail at the end of the month as I had it with me on Canton when Chris did the photo shoot. I've got the pictures it depends whether they use it or not.

• RMweb Premium

The tank version would make an excellent model for Ixion...

• Like 1

I know that loco!!

Remember to change the lamp irons to WR ones as well. I did that on my 46521 before I sold it. These are in my opinion the best locos to have come from Bachmann/ San Cheng/ Tower.

46443 might make an appearance in model Rail at the end of the month as I had it with me on Canton when Chris did the photo shoot. I've got the pictures it depends whether they use it or not.

Lamp irons are not forgotten Steve. The amusing thing is that when I built my Agenoria  Kerr Stuart Victory as a privately owned industrial loco I automatically fitted the lamp irons the GWR way. One day I'll change them.

• Like 2

I have started work on the embankment that separates the colliery branch from the "main line". The photos show the sequence of work so far. For this small area a foundation made from redundant cardboard packaging (the sheets that sit in between the layers of Ixion locos in the packing cases) cut and glued in place with the ever useful hot-glue gun. This is covered with the cheapest brand of kitchen roll available which is held in place with diluted pva glue. It forms hard, but lightweight shell that takes paint well. The small retaining wall is built from Wills Coarse Stone SSMP200. It is nominally 4mm scale, but looks well. I painted it with Precision Paints matt dirty black and wiped off most of the paint while is was wet. The result is effective, but may not work for a large expanse of walling. We shall see.

The next stages are to apply ordinary flock as a grass base followed by an application of static grass as demonstrated to me by Maggie Gravett at Railex in May. I still haven't finished the ballasting so work is not quite progressing in a logical sequence, but I do like to punctuate boring jobs with more interesting tasks. I must  fit facing point lock covers to the three-way and I will scratch-build a platelayer's hut to fill the flat space to the right of the signal box. .

There will probably be a short hiatus in activity as my grandson and his parents arrive from the USA today in readiness for my son James's wedding on Saturday.

post-13142-0-18656400-1407308982_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-44639500-1407308984_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-00098000-1407308987_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-19265200-1407308989_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-33761500-1407308991_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-42377600-1407308993_thumb.jpg

Edited by 81A Oldoak
  • Like 13

Guest Isambarduk

"This is covered with the cheapest brand of kitchen available ..."

Am I right to be foiled here? :-)  Or should I be papered?  I'm not sure from the photos but I think the latter.

David

"This is covered with the cheapest brand of kitchen available ..."

Am I right to be foiled here? :-)  Or should I be papered?  I'm not sure from the photos but I think the latter.

David

Good spot David. Gus the Gorilla must have been at work again.

Our first grandchild/son is over from the USA for the wedding one of our sons, which passed off without a hitch yesterday. At home on Thursday, he was crawling around and this picture shows the first thing that attracted his attention. The boy's clearly a genius.

post-13142-0-24669900-1407687833.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Chris

superb layout. What made you model welsh railways?

scott

Scott,

I began the forum with these words: "I have long been attracted to the railways of Wales, particularly those in the coalfields of South Wales and the Cambrian Railways, which, I suppose, pretty much much covers the principality apart from a narrow strip along the north coast. For many years I have modelled a 4mm scale fictional extension of the coast line of the Cambrian line from Pwllehli to Abersoch via a junction at Boduan with a branch to Morfa Nefyn. The layout has been well documented in the Railway Modeller since my maiden article appeared in 1992. Concurrently, I have been constructing 7mm scale rolling stock following the puchase of a Slater's 7 plank wagon for experimental ad medicinal purposes at the annual show of the Southampton MRS in January 1994. I had the kernel of an idea for a South Wales branch line in 0 Gauge in the 1950s. The main attractions of South Wales, especially for 0 Gauge, were the almost exclusive use of tank locomotives on most of the Valleys' lines, the survival of a surprising number of pre-Grouping locomotives into the mid and even late 1950s, the very dense network of lines, cramped locations in narrow valleys and ample scope for industrial railway operations."

But perhaps the best answer I can give is to watch the short BTF film "Every Valley" made in 1957. It describes a day in the life of the South Wales Valleys narrated by the late Donald Houston (he never convinced me as one of the bad guys in "Where Eagles Dare"). It is great industrial and social history with steam trains and proper omnibuses set to the peerless music of Handel's Messiah. After watching it you'll wonder why anyone bothers to model anything else. Here's a link to the film:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3uArzDztv0   

Regards,

Chris

PS I have no connection with Wales apart from a daughter who graduated from Cardiff University this year and who now lives and works in the city; memories of happy holidays in Tenby, Llangorse Lake and elsewhere;  crossing the Aust ferry from my home city of Bristol in pre-Severn Bridge days; a good friend and customer in the form of Chris Basten of Dragons Models in Penarth; tramping around the Sennybridge military training area; three years posted to the Welsh Guards as their paymaster after transferring to the RAPC from the The Staffordshire Regiment and...a partiality for Caerphilly cheese.

• Like 1

Thank you chris, im from swansea and I always enjoy reading learning about different valley lines. And what makes others want to model them. I am about to undertake a project in 0 gauge, unfortunately I cant afford pannier tanks nor 56xx or any other welsh tank yet, one day

Scott

Thank you chris, im from swansea and I always enjoy reading learning about different valley lines. And what makes others want to model them. I am about to undertake a project in 0 gauge, unfortunately I cant afford pannier tanks nor 56xx or any other welsh tank yet, one day

Scott

The railways of the Swansea area are also full of inspiration. My newest daughter-in-law as of yesterday studied at Swansea University and I once dated - a v long time ago indeed - a girl from nearby Briton Ferry.

Well, my son's wedding is over and my grandson is in bed so I have managed to slide out to the garage to do some work on Cwm Bach. I have covered the embankment with old-fashioned flock. It will serve as an "undercoat" as recommended by the Gravetts for the static grass that will be applied later (tomorrow if I can get away with it). I have also installed the facing point lock covers on the points immediately in front of the signal box. They are cut from thin brass strip and held in position with PECO track pins to simulate fixing bolts. For fun, I have included a shot with my customised Ixion Fowler "Kitchener" struggling up the colliery branch with some empties; a driver is badly needed to fill the cab. .

post-13142-0-24393300-1407784759_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-28584800-1407784761_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-19573000-1407784779_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-43192600-1407784781_thumb.jpg

• Like 12