Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Looking like you will be siting them very soon Chris can you remind me of the mould size?  I've just had a quick read back but didn't see any mention of its dimensions, but then I could have missed it.

My rough calc is based on the Wills stone boards themselves, they look 2 boards long and one and a half high making them a scale 38ft long by 16ft high excluding the pillar.

Very impressive.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

Looking like you will be siting them very soon Chris can you remind me of the mould size?  I've just had a quick read back but didn't see any mention of its dimensions, but then I could have missed it.

My rough calc is based on the Wills stone boards themselves, they look 2 boards long and one and a half high making them a scale 38ft long by 16ft high excluding the pillar.

Very impressive.

Regards

The main panel is 26.2cm x 10.3cm and the pillar is 4.2cm x 15.3cm.

Thanks Chris I wasn't too far out with my panel estimate then.  Not so sure the pillar size is correct? edit or is the 15.3cm the pillar height yes that must be it. Apologies my mistake.

But they are very fine panels.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

Chris

browsing Flickr, found this, thought of you...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/5205264804/in/set-72157624820751216

best

Simon

Thanks Simon. I have another shot of Mardy probably taken on the same day showing a junk strewn site. Lots of inspiration here. I have corresponded with John Wiltshire in the past as I wanted permission to reproduce one of his photos of a Peckett running along a ledge in Swansea in a Railway Modeller article from some years ago. His work crops up from time tio time in albums of Welsh railways, but I would love to see his work brought together between one pair of covers.

• RMweb Premium

Good work Chris - how long before we see these castings for sale under the Ixion name - although you have a long way to go to get ahead of Skytrex - apart from quality (and price) of locos that is . . . . . . !

Good work Chris - how long before we see these castings for sale under the Ixion name - although you have a long way to go to get ahead of Skytrex - apart from quality (and price) of locos that is . . . . . . !

Mike,

These are strictly for private use and I still have much to learn about the casting process. However, Ixion commissioned steam loco driver and fireman figures, which I may well try to reproduce with resin casting. The masters are real gems. Another idea, if I ever have the time, is to try building a centre cab superstructure for the Fowler diesel chassis. The links show a variant in RAF service and three pieces for the bonnets and cab plus details would do it. I think it would be a very tight fit and the motor would be visible in the cab, but most of the footplate would probably be usable.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgrefurl=https://www.flickr.com/photos/johngreyturner/3849464057/&tbnid=76qKWH1J5CT9nM:&docid=F8Wmow87J_yYoM&h=426&w=640https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=RAF+Fowler+diesel&biw=1843&bih=897&tbm=isch&imgil=zyBFZ20b_lMYDM%253A%253BgOD9v5sH8ooV0M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fflickrhivemind.net%25252FTags%25252F040%25252Cfowler%25252FInteresting&source=iu&pf=m&fir=zyBFZ20b_lMYDM%253A%252CgOD9v5sH8ooV0M%252C_&usg=__JOgn8FkZDLKWqb9iqjoPHM9_ngE%3D&ved=0CCoQyjc&ei=EIwyVKapJsvZav2OgOgG#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=zyBFZ20b_lMYDM%253A%3BGuBc8xserGLwbM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fc1.staticflickr.com%252F3%252F2526%252F3850259772_38aa71bc44.jpg%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.flickr.com%252Fphotos%252Fjohngreyturner%252F3850259772%252F%3B500%3B333

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rather busy with the day job at the moment, but I hope to make somemore  progress with Cwm Bach when I get back from Germany next Tuesday. Meanwhile, if anyone needs some catastrophe reinsurance the market is very soft and there are lots of bargains to be had. North European Wind is an absolute snip.

Mike,

These are strictly for private use and I still have much to learn about the casting process. However, Ixion commissioned steam loco driver and fireman figures, which I may well try to reproduce with resin casting. The masters are real gems. Another idea, if I ever have the time, is to try building a centre cab superstructure for the Fowler diesel chassis. The links show a variant in RAF service and three pieces for the bonnets and cab plus details would do it. I think it would be a very tight fit and the motor would be visible in the cab, but most of the footplate would probably be usable.

Put crew figurines in the cab and you will hardly notice the presence of the motor. The old Mainline J72 had the top 1/3rd of a driver figuring in the cab just to hide the fact that the entire locomotive body was filled with chassis block.

What, all of them? Snaps please!

Just for Chaz. Here is a panel with the fencing loosely laid on top. The order of tasks is: drill the locating holes for the fence, fit capstones to the walls, fit the panels to a supporting structure, paint the wall,fit the fences and indtall the wall on the layout.

The loco is a Kerr Stuart Victory class  0-6-0T built from the Agenoria kit.

post-13142-0-81303300-1413536007_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-80584000-1413536010_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Just for Chaz. Here is a panel with the fencing loosely laid on top. The order of tasks is: drill the locating holes for the fence, fit capstones to the walls, fit the panels to a supporting structure, paint the wall,fit the fences and indtall the wall on the layout.

The loco is a Kerr Stuart Victory class  0-6-0T built from the Agenoria kit.

Thanks. (places hands together, pulls them apart, puts 'em back quickly, repeats several times). Are your railings Scalelink or made from scratch?

Love the resin cast walls - it's something I have often considered but never done.

Thanks. (places hands together, pulls them apart, puts 'em back quickly, repeats several times). Are your railings Scalelink or made from scratch?

Love the resin cast walls - it's something I have often considered but never done.

The railings, like all the best things in life, are GWR and from PECO - LK471 Straight and LK472 Sloped for platform ramps. Each pack also contains a selection of gates. They are excellent products, albeit a little fragile.

The casting was a very simple process and I am thinking about other applications. At Ixion we commissioned a sculptor to produce a BR era steam loco driver and fireman. They are absolute gems and I may use the masters to create some moulds to make and sell the figures.

• Like 2

"The railings, like all the best things in life, are GWR"   What?!? No, no, I refuse to rise to the bait......and anyway everyone knows a really modern steam loco should have three cylinders....

I do like those railings but for my setting they would have to be a bit distressed which would be a shame, but then I am going to grub up a my Ixion dcc sound loaded Fowler so maybe...... I will.

Regards

Here a couple of  portraits of some of my goods stock. The weathering was applied with brushes.

The Open Shock is a Slater's kit. The van (Parkside) needs some labels and/or their remains. I scribed some planks on the roof and then painted them. A coat of Maskol was applied and when cured, the roof was painted with enamel paiunte blended with talcum powder to simulate the canvas covering. When the paint was hard, I picked away the Maskol to produce the resullt shown.

post-13142-0-87219600-1413569769_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-77418300-1413569771_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Nice! Just out of interest, did you build the Parkside rigid?

Compensated. One axle is rigid, the other is pivoted on a piece of 1ish mm diameter brass rod soldered to a length of copper clad sleeper strip glued to the underside of the floor. I'll take and post a photo when I return from Germany midweek.

Lovely wagons, really well finished. Just one tiny suggestion - the shunters have been uncharacteristically neat. I have seen pictures where destinations have been scrawled in chalk as if the panels weren't really large enough to contain them!

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

Lovely wagons, really well finished. Just one tiny suggestion - the shunters have been uncharacteristically neat. I have seen pictures where destinations have been scrawled in chalk as if the panels weren't really large enough to contain them!

Chaz

On a point of pedantry Shunters are not that tall (or that interested) - the chalk marks showing destinations are from goods loading staff so that others who are working with them know which wagon is for which destination.  Anything chalked by Shunters is most likely to be where they can reach and see it and consist of a number (for a siding) and most likely on teh end of a wagon where it can be seen as the wagon is shunted off loose.

• Like 3

On a point of pedantry Shunters are not that tall (or that interested) - the chalk marks showing destinations are from goods loading staff so that others who are working with them know which wagon is for which destination.  Anything chalked by Shunters is most likely to be where they can reach and see it and consist of a number (for a siding) and most likely on teh end of a wagon where it can be seen as the wagon is shunted off loose.

You would have thought so, wouldn't you? But if you have a copy of Geoff Kent's very useful "The 4mm Wagon - Part Two" have a look at the photo on page 40 which shows an LMS van with the word "NORTHAMPTON" chalked on the bar at the very top of the door. On page 46 another LMS van has "BEDFORD" chalked on the top plank of the door. There are other photos in the book (and in others) that suggest some very tall shunters but I think that they would actually have been standing on a platform trolley or on a stack of crates or lorry on a loading platform. So when it comes to height of chalkings it seems anything goes.

Shunters messages just above solebar level done standing in the six foot.....

Ditto half way up the sides (or higher) done from a loading platform.....make sense?

Edited by chaz