Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Hi Chris

I've been looking at the Class 22 as something I am a bit more confident of doing than a steam loco, also there is a D600 in the pipeline with JLTRT as well and I remember seeing Ark Royal and Bulldog at Pantyffynnon.

Ian

Edited by ianwales
  • Like 3

Meoooooow Chaz, or maybe characterful is the word you were searching for.

i've got a 22 from another manufacturer whose running delrin chain drive was dreadful. I've spoken with jltrt earlier with a view to purchasing the drive and bogies from them. They said once it was on the market to give them a call back. I feel an early Christmas treat coming

Also their moulding detail is so much better than the lumpy whitemetal bits i have.

characterful?   Well OK, if you must but it's like that other mealy-mouthed adjective - "interesting". No let's call a spade.... - just plain ugly. To my mind the 22s look like they have been driven into a dead-ended shed too fast. I don't think the designers at NBL had much idea when it came to diesels - the Design Council must have winced. Still they do make interesting models.

I bought one of Mr Klein's Fowlers because it's a very nice model and full of character   :sarcastichand: .

PS - if you really want quality you could put one of Mr Clapperton's excellent ABC motor bogies with a Maxon motor under your 22. Not cheap but I put one under my characterful 24 (sorry - I should say BR/Sulzer type 2) and with plenty of lead around it the loco performs really well - smooth and quiet. No, not quiet, SWD's sound project disturbs the peace in Dock Green yard.

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

The big question is a suitable sound decoder and I wonder if I could get away with a Hymek.

Different engines - a M.A.N. in the 22 and a Maybach in the Hymek. Still I doubt whether many people can remember what sound they did make. Bit like my J50s - who knows now what sound they made?

yellow panels? IMHO they didn't improve the look. Colin Marsden suggests that only the pilot machines (D6300-05) had the white discs. Of course Rule One can be invoked at any point.

characterful?   Well OK, if you must but it's like that other mealy-mouthed adjective - "interesting". No let's call a spade.... - just plain ugly. To my mind the 22s look like they have been driven into a dead-ended shed too fast. I don't think the designers at NBL had much idea when it came to diesels - the Design Council must have winced. Still they do make interesting models.

I bought one of Mr Klein's Fowlers because it's a very nice model and full of character   :sarcastichand: .

PS - if you really want quality you could put one of Mr Clapperton's excellent ABC motor bogies with a Maxon motor under your 22. Not cheap but I put one under my characterful 24 (sorry - I should say BR/Sulzer type 2) and with plenty of lead around it the loco performs really well - smooth and quiet. No, not quiet, SWD's sound project disturbs the peace in Dock Green yard.

You're right Chaz, the Class 22 is quite simply plug ugly, but so ugly that you can't tear your eyes away. It's a bit like The Apprentice on BBC1, full of ghastly people and the awful walnut-nut faced Srallan The Lord Sugarlump of We Don't Know Where.

• RMweb Premium

Different engines - a M.A.N. in the 22 and a Maybach in the Hymek. Still I doubt whether many people can remember what sound they did make. Bit like my J50s - who knows now what sound they made?

yellow panels? IMHO they didn't improve the look. Colin Marsden suggests that only the pilot machines (D6300-05) had the white discs. Of course Rule One can be invoked at any point.

I was shocked when I heard a Hymec. Sounds remarkably like an old sewing machine ;-p

The ugly, but loveable, 22s sound altogether different to my ears at least.

• RMweb Gold

The locos were delivered up to at least D6330 with disc headcodes, D6334 possibly had them from new , D6339 definitely had them from new. 

I like the photos Chris but I am suprised they let a nicely painted and lined 64xx up the valleys. I thought they painted them black especially to work round there :nono:

Don

Don,

Lionheart's  lined green livery on 6437 is authentic for South Wales and makes a very pleasant change from unrelieved black. She was based at 86J Aberdare from 1939 until 1960 and this is on the smoke-box door shedcode plate. From May 1960 until withdrawal in in 1963 6437 was shedded at Gloucester Horton Road. At least three other lined green 64XXs were based in South Wales viz 6413 at Aberdare until October 1959, 6416 At Merthyr Tydfil from August 1958 until withdrawal in September 1963 and 6419 at Tondu until 1960. I have photos of at least four other 64XXs in lined green livery based at Laira and Banbury.

The big question is whether to weather this expensive model. I probably will in time, but in a rather more restrained fashion than the black locos.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 3

I have absolutely no idea how a Heljan English Electric Class 40 found its way up the branch to Cwm Bach, but I suspect Steve Fay is to blame and Rule 1 will have to be played. She is a beast of model awaiting weathering and the installation of a SWD sound decoder. It takes about half an hour to get all 16 wheels on the track.

post-13142-0-31332100-1416492883_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-35704400-1416492885_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Don,

Lionheart's  lined green livery on 6437 is authentic for South Wales and makes a very pleasant change from unrelieved black. She was based at 86J Aberdare from 1939 until 1960 and this is on the smoke-box door shedcode plate. From May 1960 until withdrawal in in 1963 6437 was shedded at Gloucester Horton Road. At least three other lined green 64XXs were based in South Wales viz 6413 at Aberdare until October 1959, 6416 At Merthyr Tydfil from August 1958 until withdrawal in September 1963 and 6419 at Tondu until 1960. I have photos of at least four other 64XXs in lined green livery based at Laire and Banbury.

The big question is whether to weather this expensive model. I probably will in time, but in a rather more restrained fashion than the black locos.

Regards,

Chris

Chris - you must weather this model - it will never look as good as it could if you don't BUT I think you can assume that the crew (would it have a regular crew?) would be proud of their little green jewel (steady on Chaz - it is a GWR pannier tank). So a bit of light grime in the nooks and crannies and the places the blokes can't easily reach would be good.

Chaz

The Apprentice on BBC1, full of ghastly people and the awful walnut-nut faced Srallan The Lord Sugarlump of We Don't Know Where.

I watched five minutes of it once by mistake - I had mislaid the remote. Fortunately I found it just in time - seconds later I would have chewed one of my feet off....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I watched five minutes of it once by mistake - I had mislaid the remote. Fortunately I found it just in time - seconds later I would have chewed one of my feet off....

Perhaps these things are sent to make us get up from the armchair and do some modelling :jester:

Don

• Like 2

I have absolutely no idea how a Heljan English Electric Class 40 found its way up the branch to Cwm Bach, but I suspect Steve Fay is to blame and Rule 1 will have to be played. She is a beast of model awaiting weathering and the installation of a SWD sound decoder. It takes about half an hour to get all 16 wheels on the track.

Ok ok il take the blame ;-) it will look better once it has some dirt on it and so will the 64 & auto coach, I wouldn't be worried about weathering it, it will only make it look better.

Ok ok il take the blame ;-) it will look better once it has some dirt on it and so will the 64 & auto coach, I wouldn't be worried about weathering it, it will only make it look better.

Steve,

I will weather the 64XX and auto-coach. There was a rather good article in the GOG a while ago. Meanwhile, earlier today I applied the first coat of static grass to the bank above the retaining wall that sits beind Cwm Bach's station. It needs a second coating and then detailing, but the layout is at last starting to look the part.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

And CK called it the 323rd day.

Thus the planting of vegetation using static grass on the bank atop the retaining wall at Cwm Bach has commenced. The photos show the first coat comprising a blend of 4mm and 6mm fibres. This time I have included a much higher proportion of beige and straw coloured fibres in relation to green compared with the colliery bank behind the signal box. I am always suprised by the amount of loose fibres that are recovered during the process. My method is to use a pop sock in the pipe of dedicated vacuum cleaner to recover the surplus fibres after the glue has set. The last two photos show one of the six batches recovered during this burst of planting and the only tricky bit part of the process was browsing the ladies unmentionables section at Sainsbury's in order to procure the pop socks.

The next stage will be to add some 12mm fibres that are in the post. These will be applied with very cheap hair spray as recommended by the Gravetts. Thereafter, I will apply detailing with inter alia some nice looking, but not terribly expensive wild shrubbery being be supplied by Robin the Shrubber and delivered by the Knights Who Say Ni.

post-13142-0-45676500-1416565138_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-80387300-1416565140_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-47452000-1416565143_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-68004600-1416565279_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The things we get up to in the name of modelling and the shifty types you can meet by the ladies unmentionable counter.  Don't think I could be brave enough Chris I'd have to beg one off my Lady.

Any chance of a wider angle photo to get the atmosphere as it builds or are you waiting until it's complete before taking one?

It's getting better and better.

Regards

You're right Chaz, the Class 22 is quite simply plug ugly, but so ugly that you can't tear your eyes away. It's a bit like The Apprentice on BBC1, full of ghastly people and the awful walnut-nut faced Srallan The Lord Sugarlump of We Don't Know Where.

As an ex student of business, I couldnt agree more, watched it for less than 3 mins and then turned if off to do some modelling LOL!

BTW Chris, how are you going to make good the joins in the Wills sheets? I used the soldering iron trick followed with sandpaper and files for those I used on Down Ampney Sidings.

ATVB

CME

Agreed LOL!!

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

As an ex student of business, I couldnt agree more, watched it for less than 3 mins and then turned if off to do some modelling LOL!

BTW Chris, how are you going to make good the joins in the Wills sheets? I used the soldering iron trick followed with sandpaper and files for those I used on Down Ampney Sidings.

ATVB

CME

Agreed LOL!!

I've used a soldering on some of the joints between the sheets. A couple have been disguised with the warter staining. For the more prominent gaps I will also use some vegetation. Everytime I look at the Wills sheets I ask myself if there is a business opportunity to make something similar in A4 sized sheets. On my 4mm scale buildings many of them just happen to be the same length as a single sheet of Wills slates.

Chris

see last page for building materials

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/PriceList.pdf

also

(slightly confusing) http://www.freestonemodel.co.uk/page17.htm

hth

Simon

Simon,

Sadly, the large Wills sheets are not injection moulded, but embossed. I may ask our factory for an estimate for a$ sized injection moulded sheets. 

Regards,

Chris

• Like 2