Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Simon,

Sadly, the large Wills sheets are not injection moulded, but embossed. I may ask our factory for an estimate for a$ sized injection moulded sheets. 

Regards,

Chris

Probably going to be more than a dollar.... :sarcastichand:

Simon,

Sadly, the large Wills sheets are not injection moulded, but embossed. I may ask our factory for an estimate for a$ sized injection moulded sheets. 

Regards,

Chris

Chris

looking at them, the SE Finecast sheets appear to be vac-formed.  They're quite sharp on the front, very much more rounded on the back.

the Howard Scenics card is, of course, embossed.

best

Simon

While I'm waiting for the extra long static fibres to arrive in the post, I will do some more ballasting, painting rust on rails and tidying up some electrical wiring. Meanwhile, here are some photos showing my 56xx 0-6-2T in front of the new vegetation. I have also included some shots of the loco before it was weathered. The 56xx is another of those compulsively ugly engines, but no South Wales layout can be without one. The model was built from the late John Maidment's J&M kit and is fitted with three-point compensation and DCC sound. The J&M kits were very good and John Maidment's untimely passing along with his range was a great loss to the hobby.

post-13142-0-66995800-1416658087_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-02002500-1416658100_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-71220500-1416658104_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-21156800-1416658107_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Isn't an 0-6-2t compulsory on South Wales layouts? Anyway it is a nice example.

Don

Quite right Don. I also have a GWR rebuilt Taff Vale A Class 0-6-2T built from the Dragon Models kit that you can see on page 3, post 53 on this forum. There is also a Dragon Models kit of the ex-Rhymney Railway R Class 0-6-2T waiting to enter the cnstruction shop.

Chris

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80426-cwm-bach-a-south-wales-branch-line/page-3

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It is nice to see true Welsh prototypes modelled. The 56xx is about the only class from the big four apart from Dukedogs that shouts Wales. I know Manor found a good home there but were seen elsewhere rather more.

Don

• Like 1

There is a hiatus in work this week as I have 500 of the new Hudswell Clarkes arriving from Hong Kong and a lot of orders to dispatch. Meanwhile, does anyone know if the Downesglaze acetate glazing sheets are still available? I'm after the engine shed sheet that has large arched windows that I want to use for a low relief non-Conformist chapel on the backscene for Cwm Bach.

Chris

post-13142-0-03905000-1416867189_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Chris

Might be an over-high-tech option, but if you can do the CAD, I'm sure that laser cutting, turned down low, would make excellent "printed" window frames. We use lasers at work to label stuff as it comes out of our end-of-line testers, it burns lettering, serial numbers, etc, as a a slightly grey line into the plastic. I'm sure the guys who use them would be able to do this on glazing sheet.

Alternative solution, there are computer controlled paper silhouette cutters, presumably they will work on self adhesive paper, which can then be stuck to the glazing.

Sorry it's all hypothetical!

Best

Simon

Chris

Might be an over-high-tech option, but if you can do the CAD, I'm sure that laser cutting, turned down low, would make excellent "printed" window frames. We use lasers at work to label stuff as it comes out of our end-of-line testers, it burns lettering, serial numbers, etc, as a a slightly grey line into the plastic. I'm sure the guys who use them would be able to do this on glazing sheet.

Alternative solution, there are computer controlled paper silhouette cutters, presumably they will work on self adhesive paper, which can then be stuck to the glazing.

Sorry it's all hypothetical!

Best

Simon

Have a search for 'freebs' layout thread (sorry, can't recall the title, but you may get it from his profile? Or send him a pm) - he has been producing self adhesive windows on one of those cutters using sign makers vinyl (which comes in different colours) (in 4mm) and they look superb. Oddly enough, I suggested to him at the time that there might be a commercial opportunity there!

There is a hiatus in work this week as I have 500 of the new Hudswell Clarkes arriving from Hong Kong and a lot of orders to dispatch…...

Yes - I heard from an excavator operator that it is impossible to hire a low loader in the Hampshire area this week or next…….

Have you chosen the next limited edition colour yet?

Yes - I heard from an excavator operator that it is impossible to hire a low loader in the Hampshire area this week or next…….

Have you chosen the next limited edition colour yet?

We'll let you know after you've bought one of these.

Have a search for 'freebs' layout thread (sorry, can't recall the title, but you may get it from his profile? Or send him a pm) - he has been producing self adhesive windows on one of those cutters using sign makers vinyl (which comes in different colours) (in 4mm) and they look superb. Oddly enough, I suggested to him at the time that there might be a commercial opportunity there!

The layout in question is here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75832-farnley-burton-a-yearning-to-build-another-signal-box/page-30&do=findComment&comment=1677621

The window discussion is a couple if pages or so (?) back.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been almost a month since I posted anything about Cwm Bach. I've been rather busy dispatching orders for the new Ixion Hudswell Clarke and, over the last few days, reviewing the first set of 3D CAD drawings for the other 7mm scale RTR project that I'm working on with someone else. The drawings were first class for a first iteration and our comments went off to the designer today. So, I now have an opportunity to get back to some "me" railway work over Christmas.

I decided to have a crack what I thought would be a quick task to be done in the warmth of my study. Back in May I bought a water tank from Invertrain at the ALSRM show in Reading. It is a hybrid kit with a mixture of resin and whitemetal castings, a length of copper chain, a Sprat & Winkle etched signal ladder, a piece of embossed plasticard paving and a short length of...well shoelace. What a disappointment: the whitemetal and resin castings are of very poor quality. Nothing fits together properly and I have had do a lot of fettling. I had to extend the bracket that supports the filler arm with a length of scrap nickel-silver. The photos show the parts and the part-built model.

This kit cost £21 and I will have to spend another £5.50 plus £5.00 P&P to get a fire devil from Skytrex. Although I don't like Skytrex stuff, I would probably have been better off buying their GWR tank for £35 including a fire devil. I may try to finish construction tonight, but quite frankly I am very annoyed. This is another example of shoddy 7mm scale goods being passed off to an unsuspecting public. Perhaps, I am being too harsh, but I do believe I understand a thing or two about providing good quality and value for money.

Anyway, a happy Christmas to you all. I love Christmas as it enables me to smuggle into circulation all of the model contraband acquired during the year. It's a bit like money laundering (GCHQ will probably pick that up so I expect Special Branch to pay a call shortly).

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-86422300-1419449657_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-84547300-1419449674_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

It's been almost a month since I posted anything about Cwm Bach. I've been rather busy dispatching orders for the new Ixion Hudswell Clarke and, over the last few days, reviewing the first set of 3D CAD drawings for the other 7mm scale RTR project that I'm working on with someone else. The drawings were first class for a first iteration and our comments went off to the designer today. So, I now have an opportunity to get back to some "me" railway work over Christmas.

I decided to have a crack what I thought would be a quick task to be done in the warmth of my study. Back in May I bought a water tank from Invertrain at the ALSRM show in Reading. It is a hybrid kit with a mixture of resin and whitemetal castings, a length of copper chain, a Sprat & Winkle etched signal ladder, a piece of embossed plasticard paving and a short length of...well shoelace. What a disappointment: the whitemetal and resin castings are of very poor quality. Nothing fits together properly and I have had do a lot of fettling. I had to extend the bracket that supports the filler arm with a length of scrap nickel-silver. The photos show the parts and the part-built model.

This kit cost £21 and I will have to spend another £5.50 plus £5.00 P&P to get a fire devil from Skytrex. Although I don't like Skytrex stuff, I would probably have been better off buying their GWR tank for £35 including a fire devil. I may try to finish construction tonight, but quite frankly I am very annoyed. This is another example of shoddy 7mm scale goods being passed off to an unsuspecting public. Perhaps, I am being too harsh, but I do believe I understand a thing or two about providing good quality and value for money.

Anyway, a happy Christmas to you all. I love Christmas as it enables me to smuggle into circulation all of the model contraband acquired during the year. It's a bit like money laundering (GCHQ will probably pick that up so I expect Special Branch to pay a call shortly).

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris, :)

I empathise. My other half, upon hearing expletives (when I have been enjoying my model-making) says, things like (to paraphrase); '..this 7mm stuff seems problematic and expensive why do you and your mates put up with it, you wouldnt with any other products'.  :fool: Of course she is right. :whistle:  :yes:

Some of my purchases will be given back to me over the next few days too - I think that I come out on top with it all :derisive:   :)

The season's greetings to you and yours too.

Kindest,

CME :)