Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

I read the Stationmaster's post as saying the 'higher up' chalked on 'destinations' were written on by goods loading people who would be standing on something, while the shunters marks weren't destinations (other than a particular siding) at all, but instructions as to where the wagon was going to be shunted and would be low down as they were writing at ground level? The distinction being in the role of the railwayman doing the writing?

I have no real idea, just trying to understand whether I read it right?

Keith

PS, lovely wagons Chris.

Edited by keefr2

• RMweb Gold

I read the Stationmaster's post as saying the 'higher up' chalked on 'destinations' were written on by goods loading people who would be standing on something, while the shunters marks weren't destinations (other than a particular siding) at all, but instructions as to where the wagon was going to be shunted and would be low down as they were writing at ground level? The distinction being in the role of the railwayman doing the writing?

I have no real idea, just trying to understand whether I read it right?

Keith

PS, lovely wagons Chris.

You read it right.  I have never been able to work out why people should think that Shunters would make chalk marks way above where they could reach from ground level or indeed why they would make them at all as they would shunt in accordance with what it says on the wagon label plus any marks relevant to what they are doing (e.g. a siding number etc).

Staff working at platform level - as in a goods shed - could obviously reach higher up the wagon sides and if they wanted to make something more readily visible they could readily stand on a trolley or crate or whatever to reach much higher up the wagon side.  But then I suppose I have had the advantage of watching wagons and vans chalked up ina  good shed, or at a station platform for parcels, while also seeing occasional marks made on wagons from ground level in marshalling yards.

You read it right.  I have never been able to work out why people should think that Shunters would make chalk marks way above where they could reach from ground level or indeed why they would make them at all as they would shunt in accordance with what it says on the wagon label plus any marks relevant to what they are doing (e.g. a siding number etc).

Staff working at platform level - as in a goods shed - could obviously reach higher up the wagon sides and if they wanted to make something more readily visible they could readily stand on a trolley or crate or whatever to reach much higher up the wagon side.  But then I suppose I have had the advantage of watching wagons and vans chalked up ina  good shed, or at a station platform for parcels, while also seeing occasional marks made on wagons from ground level in marshalling yards.

Thanks, that's why I appreciate posts & threads like this, never having had such a chance, it's really helpful in getting things 'right'.

K

The first photo shows the very crude lash-up I use for installing 3-point compensation on a Parkside wagon kit. The other axle is fixed in place with solvent. The photo also exposes my method of installing ballast weight on open wagons, bieng bits of  lead roof flashing. This particular specimen is a SR 8 plank open wagon, which for some inexplicable reason has a black interior. Then again, quite why I purchased a SR wagon is equally inexplicable.

post-13142-0-09270000-1413911505_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-52102100-1413911507_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I found this interesting photo of an ex-LNER van in deepest Pembrokeshire with 9602 at Clarbeston Road. The chalk marks suggest this van has been away from Dock Green or somewhere else eastwards for a long time. 9602 looks very presentable, but the buffer beam looks unrealistically clean; someone back at the shed needs to find a big brush and apply some diluted black paint to pick out the rivets.

post-13142-0-82776000-1413995597_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

It is to Field Marshall Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke, Chief of the Prussian General Staff and later Great General Staff for thirty years from 1857 and more commonly referred to as Moltke the Elder,  that we attribute the well known military maxim  "no plan survives contact with the enemy."  This maxim applies equally to my approach to railway modelling and is clearly manifest in the latest developments at Cwm Bach. Readers will recall from earlier postings that I recently entered the world of resin casting to produce retaining wall panels that would serve as the backscene behind Cwm Bach station. However, after looking at the loosely laid walls runing for a length of 7 feet I decided that it appeared rather monotonous. Seeking inspiration for an alternative arrangement and with only 55mm of width available I made made the serendipitous discovery of the photo of the Hymek at Doctor Day's Junction in my home city of Bristol and a location through which I have passed many, many times. The narrow strip of grassed bank topped with a mixture of stone walling, fencing and other forms of boundary offered the variety that I was seeking.

Thus reinvigorated, I set to building the foundation using 5mm foamboard, which had been lurking in the garage for several years. A steel rule, Stanley knife with fresh blade, hot glue gun and twenty minutes of effort produced the basic structure, which is very  light and rigid. A few minutes later and the sub-surface for the bank was fixed in place using corrugated cardboard separators from redundant Ixion packaging. Some loosely laid Wills stonework shows the lower wall. The next step will be to cover the brown card with kitchen towel soaked with PVA glue. The bank will be topped with a variety of Peco GWR spear fencing, wooden fencing and possibly the backs of some buildings, all in keeping with my "make-it-up-as-I-go-along" strategy.

The cast resin panels will not be wasted. Some will be used in the position as seen in a couple of the photos and I know of a decent home that is willing to care for the remainder.

post-13142-0-54112900-1414662165_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-48489600-1414662215_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-16583700-1414662218_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-66258000-1414662221_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-78266500-1414662225_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-45257600-1414662228_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-19217500-1414662231_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

A wise descision I think Chris. On a model a large expanse of the same thing doesn't hold the interest. This looks like giving you opportunity for more interesting details.

Don

All the scenic structures on the Greater Windowledge Railway are made from foamboard - it's wonderful stuff! 

I printed the brickwork directly from the CAD onto A4 sheets and stuck it to the foamboard, and cut round it once it had dried. 

Much easier than corrugated cardboard to work on too, if rather more expensive (as the cardboard is generally free, ex packaging)

My bridge, pavement and road worked, the factory didn't.  Too much "what you know" and not enough "what you see".  It's referred to as a "learning experience"...

best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I was showing someone how I had made buildings using some. One of the club members was looking on and later gave me a load spare from work. I could do with finding another source as both he and I have moved.

Don

Shops, especially the big supermarkets use foam-board extensively for promotional displays, most of which ends up in the skip after use. In my experience, most are only too happy to let it be taken way and re-cycled rather than go to landfill.

Chris Nevard used this material for the baseboard of his Catcott Burtle layout. 

• Like 1

Shops, especially the big supermarkets use foam-board extensively for promotional displays, most of which ends up in the skip after use. In my experience, most are only too happy to let it be taken way and re-cycled rather than go to landfill.

Chris Nevard used this material for the baseboard of his Catcott Burtle layout. 

Foam board is brilliant stuff. Loads of it on Dock Green. The warehouse, retaining walls, two of the bridges, the goods platform, the canopy, even the "ground" of the factory yard all have it in varying amounts.

I never thought of scrounging it from supermarkets - Hmmm.....

I have also used it extensively on Factory Lane Sidings for both buildings and other scenic work. I also used a slightly more dense version which was from an old exhibition stand which had a grey foam. I used this for the cobbled road surface simply scribing with a ball point pen and painting/weathering.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's also pretty good for load bearing with a few bracing fillets - this was our Taunton SWAGday module in course of having the top converted from hillside to small shunting layout with the new foamboard base for the shunting layout in course of being glued to the vertical pieces which had previously formed some of the contours.  Also quite durable even when being taken to and from small exhibitions where it has survived intact a couple of minor collisions with door frames ( probably a consequence of poor navigation following pasty consumption).

post-6859-0-54804100-1414681176_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

More work on the retaining wall and embankment today. The Wills Coarse Stone sheets were attached with EvoStick contact adhesive, which is solvent free thus eliminating the risk of catastrophe to the foamboard. I have tried to disguise the joints between the panels by welding together some of the stones with an old soldering iron. Vegetation and weathering may be required to complete the disguise. The bank has been covered with cheap kitchen roll brushed with diluted PVA adhesive. My as yet unweathered Fowler "Kitchener" makes an appearance in order to to give a sense of scale.

post-13142-0-85728500-1414693699_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-40263200-1414693703_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-26264700-1414693706_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-97394300-1414693708_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I've just found this thread - via some round about googling for images of South Wales' railways for a possible N gauge (sorry if that is a bad word on the 7mm forum!) layout. What a find. It is superb and very inspirational. Perhaps it should be in 'layout topics' so more people get to see it. Looking forward to seeing it develope

The link to the 'Every Valley' film was amazing, thanks for sharing. Like you said it just summed up in 20min the modelling appeal of the area.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been quiet in my small valley in South Wales owing to a holiday in St Lucia. We returned last Wednesday and since then I have made more progress on the retaining walls at the back of the layout. I hope to have some photos of the progress in the next couple of days. It will also be time to move indoors and make a long overdue start on my Dragon Models kit of the Rhymney Railway R class 0-6-2T. I am also very tempted by the JLTRT Class 22 diesel hydraulic loco kit.

• Like 4

It's been quiet in my small valley in South Wales owing to a holiday in St Lucia. We returned last Wednesday and since then I have made more progress on the retaining walls at the back of the layout. I hope to have some photos of the progress in the next couple of days. It will also be time to move indoors and make a long overdue start on my Dragon Models kit of the Rhymney Railway R class 0-6-2T. I am also very tempted by the JLTRT Class 22 diesel hydraulic loco kit.

I knew you like your diesels ugly (Fowler) so the 22 comes as no surprise! Mind you most of the TOPS 2X class diesels were not easy on the eye.

Headcode discs or split panels? Green or blue? yellow or plain? I think we should be told!

Chaz

I knew you like your diesels ugly (Fowler) so the 22 comes as no surprise! Mind you most of the TOPS 2X class diesels were not easy on the eye.

Headcode discs or split panels? Green or blue? yellow or plain? I think we should be told!

Chaz

Discs, green, undecided about yellow warning panel. The big question is a suitable sound decoder and I wonder if I could get away with a Hymek.

Chris

• Like 3

Meoooooow Chaz, or maybe characterful is the word you were searching for.

i've got a 22 from another manufacturer whose running delrin chain drive was dreadful. I've spoken with jltrt earlier with a view to purchasing the drive and bogies from them. They said once it was on the market to give them a call back. I feel an early Christmas treat coming

Also their moulding detail is so much better than the lumpy whitemetal bits i have.