Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Last time I did water, I 'cast' a bed with hydrocal plaster to a)give me a flat bed and b) to seal it and make sure there were no holes (some of the resins react with polystyrene a of course...). I then Glued a soil etc. Layer on top of this (and up the sides) before pouring the water.

Don't forget the brass bed-stead......

• Like 4

Last time I did water, I 'cast' a bed with hydrocal plaster to a)give me a flat bed and B) to seal it and make sure there were no holes (some of the resins react with polystyrene a of course...). I then Glued a soil etc. Layer on top of this (and up the sides) before pouring the water.

Don't forget the brass bed-stead......

But such a better quality of junk in those days. No shopping trolleys to be seen.

Concurrently with other activities, I have been working on a small, but long overdue job. It was the making of the target boards that were carried by locomotives to help signalmen and other staff more easily identify the trains on the dense network of intensively lines in South Wales. They are a quintessential and unmistakeable feature of South Wales. The plates were made up from the Roxey 7mm scale Southern train indicator discs. A mounting tube was made up from bisected square brass tubing and scrap brass strip from a kit and the plates can be mounted on and dismounted from the locos as required. The photos tell the story.

The five discs represent the following workings:

• CK - I chose this because they are my initials, but it was the 88E Abercynon shed 6.25pm SX Stormtowwn Jct to Nantgarw and Roath Branch Jct working.
  • D8 - 88B Cardiff East Dock shed  1.55pm SX Roath Basin Jct to Llambradach freight.
  • RG - 88D Rhymney shed. Seen on a photo of the 12.40pm Penarth-Rhymney stopping passenger service
  • U13 - 86F (88H w.e.f. 1 Jan 1961) Tondu 11.45pm Tondu to Abergwynfi
  • XP64 - I can't remember and can't find the photo of the train carrying this target.

Theoretically, most if not all trains on Cwm Bach would carry the same letter prefix, which indicates the originating shed and I may well harmonise the plates when I eventually decide where Cwm Bach is actually located. For the time being, however, I shall just enjoy the little bit of extra South Wales atmosphere they convey.

post-13142-0-70838400-1454874824_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-85048600-1454874826_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-70155100-1454874828_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-69725500-1454874830_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-35721100-1454874859_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-45354400-1454874866_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-25132400-1454874883_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Looks good Chris, were did you get the lettering from?

Steve,

The lettering is from a sheet of waterslide decals by XTRADECAL. The sheet is X72157 1:72 scale RAF 4", 6", 8" and 12" black letters, numerals and titles. I used the 8" letters and numerals. The sheet is available fromwww.hannants.co.uk and here is a link to the product https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72157 I have enough to last for a lifetime of South Wales railway modelling. However, I have a fondness for post-war RAF and Fleet Air Arm Aircraft of the 1950s, 60s and 70s  and occasionally build a 1:72 model. I have a DH Vampire and Hawker Sea Fury waiting to be built and I fancy the Airfix 1:48 Sea Vixen, which sadly is out of production and only available at ludicrous prices as a collectors item.

Hannants also do some interesting accessories in 1:48 scale that might be adaptable. I'm looking at this WW1 fuel pump as a possibility for refuelling my Fowler diesel on Cwm Bach. That said, I could probably knock one up from scratch quite quickly from the spares box and save £10.40 plus p&p.

Finally, for those of you who like classic aviation in the days when we had a proper navy and air force, have at look at one of my favourite films on Youtube with fantastic music by Vangelis. It even starts with a railway connection.

Regards,

Chris

PS Will you be at Kettering?

CMK8053_2.jpg

• Like 6

"That said, I could probably knock one up from scratch quite quickly from the spares box and save £10.40 plus p&p."

Justification? If you have the time and would enjoy it then do some modelling! Otherwise spend the "£10.40 plus p&p" - it's nice to have the choice.

ATB

Chaz

PS - Alton went well

... I fancy the Airfix 1:48 Sea Vixen, which sadly is out of production and only available at ludicrous prices as a collectors item.

Hi Chris,

Being an aircraft modeller who is hankering to build a layout but lacks the necessary skills (or more possibly commitment), your comment about the Sea Vix caught my attention. I bought one of these when first released & it cost £39.99. I've just had a look at completed sales on e-bay this year, & they are selling for between £26- £42, with most in the mid thirties, so they haven't actually gone up that much - many are cheaper! There's one listed on auction at the moment with a start bid of £24.99 with 5 days to go & no bids. And given the prices of Airfix stuff are going up quite a bit this year, the one below listed with a second hand kit dealer is probably about the same price they'll be if (when?) Airfix re-release it;

http://www.kingkit.co.uk/plastic-model-kit-airfix-1-48-11002-dehavilland-sea-vixen-faw-2-1390.html

(I have no connection with Kingkit other than having spent a lot of cash with him over the years!)

Still, I reckon it's still pretty cheap compared to an average O gauge loco kit!

Keith

Hi Chris,

Being an aircraft modeller who is hankering to build a layout but lacks the necessary skills (or more possibly commitment), your comment about the Sea Vix caught my attention. I bought one of these when first released & it cost £39.99. I've just had a look at completed sales on e-bay this year, & they are selling for between £26- £42, with most in the mid thirties, so they haven't actually gone up that much - many are cheaper! There's one listed on auction at the moment with a start bid of £24.99 with 5 days to go & no bids. And given the prices of Airfix stuff are going up quite a bit this year, the one below listed with a second hand kit dealer is probably about the same price they'll be if (when?) Airfix re-release it;

http://www.kingkit.co.uk/plastic-model-kit-airfix-1-48-11002-dehavilland-sea-vixen-faw-2-1390.html

(I have no connection with Kingkit other than having spent a lot of cash with him over the years!)

Still, I reckon it's still pretty cheap compared to an average O gauge loco kit!

Keith

Thanks Keith. I have just ordered one.

Chris

"That said, I could probably knock one up from scratch quite quickly from the spares box and save £10.40 plus p&p."

Justification? If you have the time and would enjoy it then do some modelling! Otherwise spend the "£10.40 plus p&p" - it's nice to have the choice.

ATB

Chaz

PS - Alton went well

I think I'll make a home brew. Glad Alton went well and I'm sorry I was indisposed.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks Chris

I used to build lots of air craft kits & im doing my best not to start again! I would like to build the gulf war tornado, Buccaneer, jaguar & F3 Tornado, A navy phantom & buccaneer would also be nice !!

But I must resist as I have a few other things to do!

Edited by steve fay

Guest Isambarduk

Those discs are very nice, Chris.

I made something similar as Southern train indicator discs:

HonfleurFrnt.jpg
LSWR B4 - Captioned pictures at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/Honfleur.htm

I turned the discs from brass; I never seem to think of looking to see if there is something available from the trade - probably because I just enjoy making things (even though they are rarely 'used')

David

Thanks Chris

I used to build lots of air craft kits & im doing my best not to start again! I would like to build the gulf war tornado, Buccaneer, jaguar & F3 Tornado, A navy phantom & buccaneer would also be nice !!

But I must resist as I have a few other things to do!

That's a great lfilm that's on my list of favourites. Like you, I must resist as there is too much railway stuff to do.

Chris

I'm running AVG Internet Security and that link has been held in a file for some years  not seen any probs.  What does it say is bad Paul?
And for you air-boys look here.  http://www.dioramas-and-models.com/

He has a brilliant diorama of a plane crashing on landing on an air-craft carrier.  #41   THE CUTLASS RAMP STRIKE
A lot of the se diorama boys have some great techniques.

Paul if you have any AVG info could you let me know vis a PM so this topic can go back to Chris.

Edited by Barnaby

Work on the river at Cwm Bach continues. This morning I pasted on the kitchen roll that will form the shell on which the surfacing dressing will go in due course. I also painted the foam-board retaining wall and the river bed with PVA glue in order to seal them. The retaining wall will most likely be made from scribed DAS clay or generic substitute.  I am still undecided about the river, but will probaably revert to paint, varnish and a lot of patience. Some readers may be appalled by my make-it-up-as-I-go-along approach, but it was worked to my satisfaction for over four decades.

In a blatant and unashamed example of product placement, you can see a Minerva Peckett that I am detailing. I'll post some more about her later, but she is named "Lorna" after the memsahib. The nameplate comes from the etch supplied with the first batch of Ixion Hudswell Clarkes on which Lindsay O'Reilly, Phil Badger and I included nameplates for our memsahibs. Now that's what I call Rule One.

post-13142-0-71890300-1455373654_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-81680100-1455373656_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-96046300-1455373658_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Lovely modelling as ever, Chris.

I'm impressed by the forethought regarding the nameplates.

I'm very much more impressed that you've got away with it until now to bestow a loco with MrsK's name. It must be at least 5 years?

MRJ did a series of articles on scratch building the Wantage loco, number 5, "Jane", which did tempt me as there is a picture of her (the loco, not MrsD) with, IIRC, a King, at Swindon. I haven't finished the King yet, so perhaps next year...

Best

Simon

While the shell hardens on the embankment alongside the river, I have been working on a Minerva Peckett that will join the Cwm Bach Colliery fleet. The lamp irons at bufferbeam level come from the fret supplied with the Minerva model. The upper lamp irons are cast brass leftovers from a Slater's kit of the BR 20T brake van. I have added a handrail to the back of the cab and made up some hard-points andlifting rings for the saddletank. They were knocked up from scrap strip, wire and some small etched rings of unknown provenance that were lurking in the spares box. They need cosmetic fixing bolts as a finishing touch. The maker's plates need to be fixed to the cabside after which I will paint the accoutrements and polish the superstructure. I also need to acquire or make some cylinder drain cocks (I don't how we missed them). I do not intend to weather this loco too heavily.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-26915300-1455387885_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-18559900-1455387887_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-93862700-1455387911_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-77456200-1455387913_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-40783000-1455387929_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-15004900-1455387942_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Very nice, neat work, Chris. I don't really care what scale it is, you can never be too neat and precise.

The scary thing is just how good the R-T-R stuff is now, yours obviously included. The standard of finish, lining and lettering would have been rated as exhibition level not very long ago.

John

Chris,

The Peckett looks stunning! Those close-up shots show the quality and detail of the model to the fore - as someone who has yet to see an example in 'real life' it is simply amazing. The lining and additional detail are really finish the loco off. 

David