Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

As an aside, I'd really like to see for myself some of the area and settings of the likes of Chris's layout and Iain Rice's Varteg Hill.

I appreciate that most of the infrastructure is gone and tips levelled, but can anyone recommend places / areas to visit where some of the character of a bygone era can still be enjoyed?  Thanks.

There are some great industrial archaeology resources on line, one such being   http://industrialgwent.co.uk  , but it takes ages to work through them and I keep getting distracted by stuff I find along the way!!

Edited by Osgood

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, I'd really like to see for myself some of the area and settings of the likes of Chris's layout and Iain Rice's Varteg Hill.

I appreciate that most of the infrastructure is gone and tips levelled, but can anyone recommend places / areas to visit where some of the character of a bygone era can still be enjoyed?  Thanks.

There are some great industrial archaeology resources on line, one such being   http://industrialgwent.co.uk  , but it takes ages to work through them and I keep getting distracted by stuff I find along the way!!

The Welsh Railway Research Circle organises walks during the summer these often include a walk somewhere in the valleys. There are none shown yet for 2016 on the website probably not arranged yet. The other option is to take train rides on the valley lines. Membership of the WRRC also brings a twice yearly magazine with articles of interest on Welsh Railway matters a must for anyone keen on Welsh Railways.

Don

• RMweb Gold

What I would very seriously recommend is looking out for  the following two series of books (I think both are out of print but they emerge on the secondhand market)

'Rickard's Record' compiled in three volumes by Brian Miller they are albums with excellent;y captioned photos by the lat Sid Rickard, and

'Steam In South Wales' compiled in 6 volumes (plus a seventh for Mid Wales) by Michael Hale/the WRRC - again photo albums but excellently captioned.

Nine books and worth their weight in gold (which might be what they cost nowadays alas) for anyone interested in later steam years in South Wales and the Valleys.

Also have a look at Silverlink Publishing they have done some nice little photo based books about both the TVR and the Rhymney in  their Nostalgia series but they too seem to be out of print.

It is still possible to feel some of the atmosphere, but it is sad to see how The Valleys have been emasculated by the closure the mining and steel industries. . The destruction of the steel works at Ebbw Vale was a disaster for the town. However, a drive up to Ebbw Vale from Risca is worth doing with stops at Newbridge, Crumlin and Aberbeeg; it can, of course, also be done by train and the reopening of several of the Valleys lines to passenger rail traffic is most gratifying. Blaengarw, Nanty Moel and Ogmore Vale also demonstrate well the cramped locations in narrow steep-side valleys, but a general drive around  will give you a you a fair feel. You should visit the Big Pit.

Regards,

Chris

Thank you Don, Stationmaster and Chris.

I'm very lucky to have all of those books bar one of the Steam in South Wales series, bought secondhand over the last year, and most of the WRRC publications (excellent works).

The big Pit is on the schedule.

Tony

Chris

The model is, trying to find the right word here, atmospheric. It captures an image that I (and many others) find believable and I greatly enjoy your commentary. Comparison with your "inspiration photos" shows why.

I do have a concern, having seen some of your work, I have to remind myself that the objective is to model reality, not to copy anyone else's interpretation thereof, no matter how good it looks. ( but the fire buckets, and the coal store under the signal box stairs may, one day, be an exception...)

All the best

Simon

• Like 1

After the Christmas break, a day spent fitting the connecting rods and resolving running issues has resulted in a 4250 that rolls pretty sweetly along the test track…

post-17766-0-41382800-1452069769_thumb.jpeg

… though I am sad to report it really won't negotiate the tightest curves without derailing. I will test it in the more extensive track in my loft workshop, which includes points and crossings.

Some work on the body detailing has been done. The various castings for the tank tops have been fitted, and the roof put together. I'm still trying to work out the best way to fit the roof so it can be removed for maintenance reasons. The various castings round the front of the tanks will be next, and finding some method of fitting the injectors under the cab steps so the body can separate from the chassis without pain and anguish.

• Like 17

After the Christmas break, a day spent fitting the connecting rods and resolving running issues has resulted in a 4250 that rolls pretty sweetly along the test track…

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

… though I am sad to report it really won't negotiate the tightest curves without derailing. I will test it in the more extensive track in my loft workshop, which includes points and crossings.

Some work on the body detailing has been done. The various castings for the tank tops have been fitted, and the roof put together. I'm still trying to work out the best way to fit the roof so it can be removed for maintenance reasons. The various castings round the front of the tanks will be next, and finding some method of fitting the injectors under the cab steps so the body can separate from the chassis without pain and anguish.

Lovely work Heather. A very solid looking loco too. Ummm. hope you haven't glued the chimney on yet..... :jester:

JF

Personal preferences are funny things. I have never liked the looks of the 2-8-0Ts and 2-8-2Ts, much preferring the 44s and 45s!! Lovely model though.

I have a 45XX, but there are beasties everywhere on Cwm Bach. Of course, the GWR 56XX 0-6-2T takes the prize for most handsome locomotive...not. 

• Like 1

Indeed, they look unfinished or like the front has been chopped off... ;-p

But then it's a curious trait of us enthusiasts to base our preferences on the look of a machine, surely way down the list for the Swindon draughtsmen?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a 45XX, but there are beasties everywhere on Cwm Bach. Of course, the GWR 56XX 0-6-2T takes the prize for most handsome locomotive...not.

Sounds like you need a Kruger on your layout.

• Like 2

4250 update time.

Today was a day of two steps forward, one back. I won't go into the shenanigans of the cast resin boiler just yet, but let's just say there's a fundamental issue somewhere that can only be resolved by a saw blade…

post-17766-0-54682000-1452613901_thumb.jpeg

Instead of fitting the boiler I went back to cab detailing. The first task was to fit some clips to the roof so it stayed put on the cab. I then fitted the condenser coil, and whistle chains. You may never see them when Chris is playing trains, but we will all know they're there. It's this silly level of detail I like to add, because I can.

post-17766-0-75985600-1452613913_thumb.jpeg

The fireman now has a pep pipe tap and hose, and he can tell how much water is on board. On the side sheet behind the gauge will be the "mind yer 'ead" plate. I think the next task will be the backhead details, then the final stage will be the bits around where the driver does his thing.

• Like 9

With the bit between my teeth I spent another day completing the cab details. I've had to call on the good offices of JLTRT for some replacement parts. The lubricator went stratospheric as I was cleaning it up and hasn't returned from orbit yet, and the supplied regulator lever was some weedy thing more suited to an 0-4-2T. I've asked for the part that comes in the Castle kits, with the counterweighted end.

So, bearing that in mind, here's the state of play.

post-17766-0-46951700-1452703837_thumb.jpeg

And from outside with the roof on…

post-17766-0-50847900-1452703849_thumb.jpeg

post-17766-0-82075800-1452703885_thumb.jpeg

post-17766-0-46869900-1452703924_thumb.jpeg

I'm quite pleased with that. Painting will wait until the outsides are finished. The boiler moulding conundrum may be solved without major surgery required. It seems possible the one that came in the box isn't quite the right one for the loco in question. A new one is winging its way southwards as I type.

• Like 7

With the bit between my teeth I spent another day completing the cab details. I've had to call on the good offices of JLTRT for some replacement parts. The lubricator went stratospheric as I was cleaning it up and hasn't returned from orbit yet, and the supplied regulator lever was some weedy thing more suited to an 0-4-2T. I've asked for the part that comes in the Castle kits, with the counterweighted end.

So, bearing that in mind, here's the state of play.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

And from outside with the roof on…

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I'm quite pleased with that. Painting will wait until the outsides are finished. The boiler moulding conundrum may be solved without major surgery required. It seems possible the one that came in the box isn't quite the right one for the loco in question. A new one is winging its way southwards as I type.

That cab interior is stunning - obviously a labour of love. Nice to see such a convincing job made of all the controls and pipework.

Chaz

Thank you, Chaz.

Most of the bits you get in the kit, a selection of copper and brass wire, and some good photographs of a real cab all help. I've been documenting the build in more detail over on Western Thunder, and I was blessed by various Thunderers sharing their photos of a couple of preserved 2-8-0Ts, including some very clear cab shots. A little interpretation and adjustment is needed, of course, but GWR cabs are fairly constant in their features and layout.