Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Another quick sit rep on 4250.

Having almost finished the frames, but reached the milestone of getting the beast running through collecting current from all wheels, I felt I needed something more interesting to do.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Making and fitting the roof seemed like an idea. There's nothing clever here, just careful use of my RSU. The cab side sheets were also taken off. It'll be easier to paint the loco and fit the correct larger sheets at a later stage. I also tidied some of the beading, helping it nestle down in place better, as well as rivet strips that go at each end of the buffer planks where they join the hanging bar.

The roof will be detachable in the end, because no-one wants to be fishing about inside the cab if a crew member decides to have an impromptu lie down!

At around this point one of my desk lamps blew a bulb, and as lumens dropped markedly, I called a halt for the day.

Nice work Heather!

Good idea to have the roof removable - I wish I could do the same with plastic brake van kits but the roofs often add rigidity to the model.

The numberplates supplied with the model are correct. 968, 939 and 1098 all carry the GWR designation in the etch, but I have not rubbed the paint off sufficiently for it to show clearly. The BR renumbered plates 1141,1143 and 1145 do not carry the GWR lettering per the prototype. .

Sorry Chris

I have just received my DCC'd Peckett from EDM and it is a splendid model. The maker's plates are great but the cab side plates are just wrong.

post-5366-0-14543800-1450867806_thumb.jpg

This is what the cab side plates should look like:

post-5366-0-49390900-1450867488.jpgpost-5366-0-90070500-1450867511.jpgpost-5366-0-84840000-1450867521.jpgpost-5366-0-36287300-1450867528.jpg

This is the Minerva version:

post-5366-0-12681100-1450867738_thumb.jpg

I can get some from elsewhere but these really could have been better!

Dave

Edited by daifly

Your layout is looking very good Chris.

What about doing a Peckett in crimson lake? I might then be able to stretch Ramchester's credibility to having one!

Rod

Stoppit! Too tempting! no, No, NO! I don't need another Peckett, I don't, I don't, I don't.... quick, make another tree....

Sorry Chris

I have just received my DCC'd Peckett from EDM and it is a splendid model. The maker's plates are great but the cab side plates are just wrong.

attachicon.gifVersion 2 (1).jpg

This is what the cab side plates should look like:

attachicon.gif968 copy.JPGattachicon.gifpost-5366-0-41416800-1449696999.jpgattachicon.gif1145 at Danygraig 16Aug59 RCTS FAI0549 copy.jpgattachicon.gif1143 at Danygraig 29Jun58 Colourrail 11366 copy.jpg

This is the Minerva version:

attachicon.gifVersion 3.jpg

I can get some from elsewhere but these really could have been better!

Dave

Whilst I can see what you mean I have to say if this is the only thing wrong with the model then we should all be very happy. You haven't even got to pull them off the model! No, the only thing wrong with this model is the colour choice - now, a crimson lake one.....would I be able to resist?

To be pedantic, the maker's plates are wrong too- although I think that was discussed on the Minerva sub forum.

I agree with Chaz that it's a very minor thing with an otherwise lovely model. I'll order some from Narrow Planet with a suitable works number on. Funny enough I almost picked up a can of maroon yesterday...

I spent a bit of time today in between Christmas preparation chores adding some detail to the area around Cwm Bach Signal Box. The much proscrastinated boardwalk has been built and positioned and various items placed around the stairs. Point rodding will follow later and I'm considering a bycycle, though I suspect they were not the most popular means of transportation in The Valleys. That done may I wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy and successful 2016.

Regards,

Chris

I must wish you the same Chris, and say that your model looks quite splendid. A most convincing area around the signal box, well done Sir!

Chaz

I weathered my Lionheart 64XX 0-6-0PT loco today. I am not finished yet as I want to try to get some rainwater streaks visible and a crew needs to added. The bucket is the world famous Ixion specimen with working handle and the tools and fireman's shovel are from the same source. A before photo is included for comparison. Next up are the autocoaches after I have built the water tank for the colliery MPD.

Hi Chris,

Just looking back at some of your excellent work and would like to know what colours you used to detail the bucket and fire irons on the Pannier. The colouring on the bucket is very good.

Thanks

Hi Chris,

Just looking back at some of your excellent work and would like to know what colours you used to detail the bucket and fire irons on the Pannier. The colouring on the bucket is very good.

Thanks

The rust colour on the fireirons is a blend of Airfix Enamel  M1 Brick Red, Humbrol matt enamels M46 Orange, M70 Brick Red, M98 Chocolate,   M173 Track Colour. For a darker rust I will add matt black. It's all trial and error against colour photographs.  The bucket is undercoated with a any suitable light grey and when hard overpainted with Humbrol Metalcote Polished Steel 27003. The Metalcote is left for a minimum of 20 minutes after application and then polished with a clean dry brush with firm bristles. I also brushed some on the blade of the shovels. I love the Metalcote paints, especially polished steel. On the dustbin in the recent post, I undercoated the dustbin with black and then dry-brushed polished steel on the raised relief. I also use it on the footsteps and heavily used handrails on locos. I was particularly pleased with how my Ixion Fowler turned out.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-27926300-1451150056_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Chris, that's exactly what I need to know. I will invest in some paint and have a go. Yours looks superb.

I have the 10 sets of the Ixion loco detailing sets to do my locos so need to crack on a bit to get things sorted out for the 7mm Bristol show at the end of January.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Paints ordered. Thanks again for your help Chris.

You are very welcome. I have also been experimenting to find a suitable wood colour for the handles of the fireman's shovel in the steam tool kit and and the hammers in the diesel tool kit. I am now using Tamiya acrylic XF78 Wooden Deck Tan, which is just visible on the handle of the shovel in the coal bunker in this little vignette on Cwm Bach.

post-13142-0-00823900-1451204685_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work Chris All the best for the new year.

Don

ps In the valleys a bicycle isn't so bad if it is uphill to work so it is downhill when you are knackered at the end of a day's shift!

....In the valleys a bicycle isn't so bad if it is uphill to work so it is downhill when you are knackered at the end of a day's shift!

Hang on, uphill to work, doesn't that mean you are knackered at the start of a day's shift?

• RMweb Gold

Hang on, uphill to work, doesn't that mean you are knackered at the start of a day's shift?

I speak from experience Chaz at the start you have enough energy to get up the hill and could have a short breather while the days work was sorted out. After a days hard grafting (I did sometimes you know) facing an up hill climb was not a pleasing prospect. Even worse was split shift when the cycle ride had to be faced twice each way.

Don

I speak from experience Chaz at the start you have enough energy to get up the hill and could have a short breather while the days work was sorted out. After a days hard grafting (I did sometimes you know) facing an up hill climb was not a pleasing prospect. Even worse was split shift when the cycle ride had to be faced twice each way.

Don

But it kept you fit!

I once cycled from Manchester to Bradford, slogging up the hill at Blackstone Edge was a real ordeal - much of it wheeling rather than riding. I consoled myself with the thought of the effortless descent on the way back - no chance! The wind was so strong I had to pedal hard all the way down - what a swizz!