Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

• RMweb Premium

Those sheep look far too innocent for a South Wales valley.

Three panniers for the coal traffic. So about 900 tons a day. A busy colliery.

But they do look nice - no I am not tempted. They are decades too new for either my modelling or the club layout.

Jonathan

• Like 1

I have at long last got around to weathering a Minerva Iron Mink. Enamel paint applied with a brush and finished with a smidgeon of weathering powders.

And very nicely dont too. As an aside, your ballast size intrigues me. I used 'N' gauge grade for 00 and was considering the 00 grade for 0. Which grade is yours, if you dont mind me asking?

And very nicely dont too. As an aside, your ballast size intrigues me. I used 'N' gauge grade for 00 and was considering the 00 grade for 0. Which grade is yours, if you dont mind me asking?

I'll second that question :)     Just about to start ballasting my railway and trying to decide which size is best.   Studying the photos yours looks just about right.

Great looking Iron Mink by the way,  I'm trying to be as patient as possible awaiting mine with the shipment of the riveted pannier  ;)   Spring can't come soon enough !

I'll second that question :)     Just about to start ballasting my railway and trying to decide which size is best.   Studying the photos yours looks just about right.

Great looking Iron Mink by the way,  I'm trying to be as patient as possible awaiting mine with the shipment of the riveted pannier  ;)   Spring can't come soon enough !

I use Woodland Scenics Medium Gray (sic) Ballast product code B1382 for running lines. I like the size of the chips, but the best feature is that the ballast returns to its natural colour after the diluted pva glue has set, unlike some that turn a faint green colour. 

I use Woodland Scenics Medium Gray (sic) Ballast product code B1382 for running lines. I like the size of the chips, but the best feature is that the ballast returns to its natural colour after the diluted pva glue has set, unlike some that turn a faint green colour. 

Could that possibly be due to the colour used in the washing up liquid during the wetting process, i.e. Green Apple scented liquid? I use Lemon now, as I had similar problems.

Andy,

I won’t say “no”, but I don’t think so.

I now use latex to fix ballast, and have no issues with the green tinge. This stuff watered down a bit.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-latex-plus-white-1-5kg/48884?tc=CT6&ds_kid=92700023141680618&ds_rl=1247848&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6oXXvraJ2QIVjp3tCh0glQx8EAQYBCABEgLHF_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLXgs8K2idkCFUKC7QodSo0D6g

Best

Simon

Thanks.....it looks like I will be moving up a grain size when track laying commences. The ballast through Carrog in the 1950's probably hadn't been touched for years (I remember many lines looking like this when I was young) and was an overall dark rust brown.

• Like 1

Andy,

I won’t say “no”, but I don’t think so.

I now use latex to fix ballast, and have no issues with the green tinge. This stuff watered down a bit.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-latex-plus-white-1-5kg/48884?tc=CT6&ds_kid=92700023141680618&ds_rl=1247848&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6oXXvraJ2QIVjp3tCh0glQx8EAQYBCABEgLHF_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLXgs8K2idkCFUKC7QodSo0D6g

Best

Simon

Hi Simon, I used diluted Copydex  / Latex on one Layout, OO Fine Scale, and when I went to remove some unwanted Ballast from the top of the Sleepers it pulled out a massive chunk from between the sleepers as well. I guess I should have been more careful to begin with it.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Andy

I haven't had to do much digging up on PD (mainly as I haven't got much of it down and ballasted yet!) but where I have, I simply cut round the area to be removed and hoicked the lump out.  Where the very fine ballast was used, it was a bit like concrete...

best

Simon

I have simply to to ask myself if the very gods above are not directing me to view these things?

I am sure  I do not actually want to do so....I just find that "it happens", more and more often! 

I recall Oscar Wilde had something to say on this matter. 

• Like 2

I have spent the last three evenings weathering a Minerva Iron Mink van and a 16 Ton steel mineral wagon. I was helped along on the first night by Johann Sebastian Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. On the second evening I was accompanied by Vaughan Williams including his sublime "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, which is my all-time favourite piece of classical music. A jazz album of Ella Fitzgerald got me across the finishing line this evening. Coming up next must be an effort to start on the army buildings for Tonfanau Camp. 

On, on.

Chris 

post-13142-0-56166400-1518900560_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-57799000-1518900582_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

I often work to 1920's band music or the killer (Jerry Lee Lewis). Music is a terrific antidote for any modelling known to be a chore. Those vans and the mineral wagon look the business. A BR van is a must for Carrog Road...

(Almost forgot to thank you for the dart).