Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Gunpowder Vans (GPVs) lined up at Cwm Bach. Management of Cwm Bach colliery must be contemplating some explosive expansion to mining operations. The photos show decorated samples of the new Minerva GPVs that are due for delivery in March (this year). Full details are on the website https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/news/gunpowder-vans/

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-59580600-1517148416_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-06362000-1517148429_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-33360100-1517148443_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-29782900-1517148459_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-57646300-1517148717_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Was Micheal Caine involved in these vans perchance ? 

Do the doors actually blow off ?

All joking apart they do look good. Sadly I'd forgotten which number were on my Minks and didn't buy another one at the O Gauge Bristol show ! That'll teach me  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Very neat particularly the BR one.

To be pedantic, that is a BR liveried conversion of an iron mink to a GPV. BR gunpowder vans had square corners, as did the last 25 built specifically for the traffic by the GWR (and indeed the LMS vans). See: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrgunpowdercxv

Not seen any photos of round corners in the BR blue era, so I mention this as a note of caution to modellers of that era to check!

Was Micheal Caine involved in these vans perchance ? 

Do the doors actually blow off ?

All joking apart they do look good. Sadly I'd forgotten which number were on my Minks and didn't buy another one at the O Gauge Bristol show ! That'll teach me  :scratchhead:

We can send you one by post. I have several going out tomorrow along with Panniers, Victories and buckets.

• Like 1

Here's a (hopefully) constructive suggestion:

Whatever you make, how about making it a little easier to find and order on the Minerva website - which is presumably the favoured conduit for placing orders?

I gave up trying to find the Minerva webpage for the first iron minks this morning - so I went through the thread on RMW and saw Jinty had kindly posted a link to the shop page for someone else having trouble.

Maybe all it needs is a button titled 'Shop' on the home page top bar?  It currently sits on the 'order' page., and unless you find it you won't find the other useful items available, such as toolboxes etc.

And are there any other useful items available but which are not listed in the shop?  I seem to remember some oil cans / fire irons?

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 2

I do agree Osgood it is a little like start trawling all the way through each time I want to have a gander, but couldn't you have helped a little and added that link here . . . . . .  please.

Also they make reference to purchase only from them at the shop address and at any shows they attend but fail to give a list of which shows they intend to attend.

Great business and one that needs our support but certainly it could be a little easier to find and place orders, that said I have always found the Chris-es :scratchhead:  :scratchhead: very helpful when speaking to them..

You have reminded me about tool boxes and buckets so I'll have to go and search out the site again.

Best

Here's the link to the Minerva shop Bucket page.>>> https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/product/6-model-buckets/

Edited by Barnaby

I do agree Osgood it is a little like start trawling all the way through each time I want to have a gander, but couldn't you have helped a little and added that link here . . . . . .  please.

Oh alright then -

https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/product-category/rolling-stock/

Didn't you stumble across it in your search for the buckets?  :tomato:

Edited by Osgood

• RMweb Gold

How do they differ from the near contemporary Iron Minks? I am thinking of a couple for our club's new BCR based layout as the BCR had some Iron Minks.

Jonathan

Doors are different, and no vents at the end.

There is a very good book on the subject produced by the HMRS...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Regularity. Vents can be added easily, just as the GWR did i assume when it converted vans (I knew there were none on the Gunpowder vans), but doors not so easy, but the main reason I asked the question was that i was not certain which GPV diagram had been used. i have the book.

7mm is a new area for me. In 4mm I know my away around the manufacturers, but for 7mm I am still pretty ignorant.

Jonathan

but the main reason I asked the question was that i was not certain which GPV diagram had been used. i have the book.

The Minerva GPV is a V6 conversion (removal of vents, and new doors). These were converted prior to and during WWII. No formal Z diagram was issued for these conversions.

Here's a (hopefully) constructive suggestion:

Whatever you make, how about making it a little easier to find and order on the Minerva website - which is presumably the favoured conduit for placing orders?

I gave up trying to find the Minerva webpage for the first iron minks this morning - so I went through the thread on RMW and saw Jinty had kindly posted a link to the shop page for someone else having trouble.

Maybe all it needs is a button titled 'Shop' on the home page top bar?  It currently sits on the 'order' page., and unless you find it you won't find the other useful items available, such as toolboxes etc.

And are there any other useful items available but which are not listed in the shop?  I seem to remember some oil cans / fire irons?

I have discussed easier navigation with Chris B today. Thanks for the suggestion. The oil cans, fire irons etc are Ixion models.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Management of Cwm Bach colliery must be contemplating some explosive expansion to mining operations.

I should hope not. There have been too many deaths caused by underground explosions.

Nice GPVs.

• RMweb Gold

Chris, I see others are adding to your potential wagon production so I thought I would chip in as well.

The Aberflyarff Light Railway outside framed pigeon carrier would be sure to be a best seller.

Every 7 mm modeller would want one.................even the real railway only had one!