Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Just finished weathering a brace of Minerva Iron Minks for a customer. A spot of George Gershwin helped along. 

Regards,

Chris

If it was "Rhapsody in Blue", then it fits perfectly...

Gershwin said, as quoted in his biography:   "It was on the train, with its steely rhythms, its rattle-ty bang, that is so often so stimulating to a composer – I frequently hear music in the very heart of the noise.... And there I suddenly heard, and even saw on paper – the complete construction of the Rhapsody, from beginning to end. No new themes came to me, but I worked on the thematic material already in my mind and tried to conceive the composition as a whole. I heard it as a sort of musical kaleidoscope of America, of our vast melting pot, of our unduplicated national pep, of our metropolitan madness. By the time I reached Boston I had a definite plot of the piece, as distinguished from its actual substance."

• Like 3

If it was "Rhapsody in Blue", then it fits perfectly...

Gershwin said, as quoted in his biography:   "It was on the train, with its steely rhythms, its rattle-ty bang, that is so often so stimulating to a composer – I frequently hear music in the very heart of the noise.... And there I suddenly heard, and even saw on paper – the complete construction of the Rhapsody, from beginning to end. No new themes came to me, but I worked on the thematic material already in my mind and tried to conceive the composition as a whole. I heard it as a sort of musical kaleidoscope of America, of our vast melting pot, of our unduplicated national pep, of our metropolitan madness. By the time I reached Boston I had a definite plot of the piece, as distinguished from its actual substance."

Rhapsody in Blue and An American in Paris. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested but for those of us living outside the EU the free shipping does not offset the lack of VAT deduction, especially on the more expensive DCC sound version. Any chance you might reconsider this policy please? 

PM sent.

The drawing appears to show a straight bunker. I am sure on most K models the bunker was curved at the front with the coal placed into two separate compartments.

It's not apparent from the angle of this drawing, but it will be made as you describe and as can be seen in this photo I took last year of the derelict Sharpthorn at Horsted Keynes.  

Regards,

CK

post-13142-0-12147800-1521469584_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Oooo Very nice indeed Chris, shame to spoil it with muck, hahha.

I bet some good weathering will really enhance the rivet detail.

Andy,

I will be doing 6724, a Bagnall engine with no top-feed with early BR crest. She will have no pipework on the buffer beams and I will replace the screw couplings with three-link chains. Number plates and works plates are from Narrow Planet and crew from ModelU are already here. Stay tuned.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 5

Oooo Very nice indeed Chris, shame to spoil it with muck, hahha.

I bet some good weathering will really enhance the rivet detail.

Andy,

I will be doing 6724, a Bagnall engine with no top-feed with early BR crest. She will have no pipework on the buffer beams and I will replace the screw couplings with three-link chains. Number plates and works plates are from Narrow Planet and crew from ModelU are already here. Stay tuned.

Regards,

Chris

And I will be doing 7724 with top feed and buffer beam pipework and in BR Black with early crest.

7724 kept her early crest right the way through till her withdrawal in 1962, but was somewhat of a state by then. I will be waving the weathering stick over her as I agree Andy, the rivetting will show up detail very well indeed.

Lovely GWR version above Chris ;)

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

I found some time to weather a Minerva GWR Gunpowder Van this weekend. Here it is on Cwm Bach in "Before and After" guise and alongside an Iron Mink cousin. Weathering was done with brushed enamel paint, weathering powders and a chinagraph pencil for the chalk marks.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-95191400-1525032417_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-44033400-1525032429_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-87973400-1525032443_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

I found some time to weather a Minerva GWR Gunpowder Van this weekend. Here it is on Cwm Bach in "Before and After" guise and alongside an Iron Mink cousin. Weathering was done with brushed enamel paint, weathering powders and a chinagraph pencil for the chalk marks.

Regards,

Chris

Stop it !  :jester:

I can't quite pluck up the courage to do something similar to my GW Mink.....yet.....but I'm sure it will probably happen eventually !

Nice work again Chris.

Grahame

• Like 1