Slater's GWR Toplights......

Toplight kits are also available in the Mallard/Blacksmith range and David Geen does some too.  Also there are some in the ShireScenes range on the Dart Castings/MJT site.  All of these are etched brass... no connection etc.

As no manufacturer is likely to produce all the variety and variations, This is the route I have had to go down and teach myself to build them, along with toplights from Frogmore Confederacy, Worsley works, Haye Developments, 5522 and Trevor Charlton. I was lucky enough to acquire a real rarity,  toplight sleeping cars from Tony Hammond.

Mike Wiltshire

Toplight kits are also available in the Mallard/Blacksmith range and David Geen does some too.  Also there are some in the ShireScenes range on the Dart Castings/MJT site.  All of these are etched brass... no connection etc.

I know - but frankly, until my soldering skills have improved hand-over-fist, a very substantial outlay is likely to result in little more than a ghastly mess.......

Thanks though.

Tony

When I last saw CooperCraft at a show (I think it was Wells in August), they didn't have any complete kits of the Toplights (that I could see), but they did have most (or maybe all) of the constituent parts, e.g. sides, underframe, interior being sold as separate bits.

No idea if that helps!

CooperCraft was at the Weston super Mare show last Sunday. He only had components for the Toplights and Clerestories, but no complete kits for them. I asked if complete kits were available, and he said he couldn't make some parts due to a legal issue with Slaters (I think - he did waffle on very confusingly) and also tooling issues, so no, complete kits weren't available at present, and he couldn't say when they would be (if ever). What was missing were bogies, floors, some interiors, handles (and maybe more).

Don't think he's going to do much business trying to sell most of the parts needed to make up a complete model. I have to say the mouldings he did have looked nice, but I want to build complete models and not have to try and work out what it is (and the details of) I need to complete them.       

This is really disappointing and confirms what has been suggested earlier. Given that there is a ready market for these it's a shame that the matter cannot be resolved.

Unfortunately I lost the eBay auction, but - happily - have sourced one via an Australian member of this forum [for which many thanks]. I must now look for an all-third or a composite......

Keep posting !!!!

Tony.

For members who are not confident with soldering there is an alternative. The old PC/wheeltaper kits are mainly plastic with cast ends and fittings. They can often be picked up for under tenner as few people want the printed sides. Combining these kits (and any toplight will do) and replace with any of the etched sides that are currently available.

I was at a friends house recently and he was using the PC kit as a basis and had used replacement brass sides to produce the toplights he wanted.

Just a thought

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

That would probably work with Slater's parts as well; get sides, ends and roof from Cooper Craft and graft onto a PC underframe and bogies with interior. Mmmm, I appear to have all that is necessary, including a PC kit with wrong livery (for me) sides. I also have a plan to graft a Slater's body onto a 57ft Hornby Collet/generic underframe with appropriate bogies and trussing.

I'm currently refurbishing a pair of toplights off e-bay; apparently early Ratio kits with full panelled metal sides and wooden roofs.

Pete

edited for spelling and commas.

• 3 weeks later...

Hammered at £48.34 with postage. Needless to say I was outbid [by a country mile].

Tony

That isn't really an unreasonable amount, based on the current price of brass kits and the fact that these kits are well respected and currently unavailable.

Adrian

That isn't really an unreasonable amount, based on the current price of brass kits and the fact that these kits are well respected and currently unavailable.

Adrian

I understand Adrian - I just couldn't afford it on this occasion !  I also spoke to Slaters about these coaches at an O Gauge show in Bolton this last Sunday, wondering whether there was a chance of their reappearance. Without going into the detail provided, the answer seems a firm 'no', for the time being at least. A great shame.

Tony

I also spoke to Slaters about these coaches at an O Gauge show in Bolton this last Sunday, wondering whether there was a chance of their reappearance. Without going into the detail provided, the answer seems a firm 'no', for the time being at least. A great shame.

Tony

When I spoke to "Mr Coopercraft" in January at the WsM show, he did say that Slaters were only really interested in 7mm scale, not 4mm, which is probably how he acquired the moulds for the plastic parts from them, so why would Slaters make them again? I do get the feeling that we'll not see complete kits of these again though.    

I'd only enter further into this particular debate with extreme caution but concluded that as in every argument, there are two sides. I have no idea, and no way of knowing, which is the more credible, which is why I have only limited my comments to the availability of the stock. I only asked Slaters about them as the kits still carried their brand. Sadly, I'd agree with your final comment Coppercap.

Tony

this is worsely works sides on a Hornby 57" bow end

ends have been removed and made up with plastacard and filler roof mouldings removed and bogies replaced with cooper craft ones but you could use 247 or mjt  ect

Thank you for posting that. A far cheaper solution to my toplight problem as I could use battered Hornby LMS coaches as the donor vehicles. Do the sides come alone, or are hinges, door handles etc sourced separately ?

Tony

they are about twice the price but do come with ends but also alot more complicated think they might have seperate window bolicions how ever i think you might get door hinges handles and some handrails

mark

Be careful if you purchase the D46 toplight from Frogmore. Older etches have a flaw with two of the toplights replaced by a curved edges panel. If you are confident enough to drill out and repair then fine. Otherwise plate over all the toplights for a later vehicle to disguise.

Mike Wiltshire

Think if I remember right the worsely works etch is also incorrect as it has and extra window in the van on one side I soldered a bit of scrap in and a little filler

Mark

I was not aware of that. It may be worth letting Allen at Worsley works know for future runs.

The Frogmore D56 has issues as well. The compartment side guards door/window arrangement is just a mirror image of the corridor side but should be totally different. Major job to correct.  I had built the Frogmore one before I realised the mistake so have to live with it. I also have a couple of the David Geen full D56 kits which are spot on.

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-33895500-1394290942_thumb.jpg

This side is correct as far as I can tell with the Frogmore etch

post-9992-0-98552900-1394290909_thumb.jpg

The compartment side is the issue with the Frogmore. Not the guards compartment is a window-door-window arrangement, a mirror of the corridor side. It should be as Twiggy1969 model below. Guards door right up against the compartment wall/window, a space then the guards window. Not easy to correct. I have to live with this one but it niggles.

MW

I'll have to check but I think that maybe what Allen has done will post a pic of both sides tomorrow and maybe you can tell if it's correct or not and I'll look to see what extra work I did

I did mention it to Allen at the Shepton show last but he did say that he didn't really sell enough to warrent redoing them

Mark

I have started a new Toplight project. One coach there was never built by the GWR was a toplight diner. The nearest was the H16 but it did not actually have any toplights, others are all 68/70ft vehicles. As above, the D46 from Frogmore has one toplight panel filled in that needs correcting. I had just 'fixed' this when I reread the David Geen dining car articles. One of the D46 brake thirds was rebuilt to diagram H17 by removing two compartments and replacing with a kitchen and counter with additional gas/roof tanks and usual catering roof additions.

They were used on lesser services that did not justify a full dining car but were long enough to require some refreshment provision. Mine will be used on a Bristol-Weymouth train which photo evidence shows, the H17 used. It was only a four coach set (usual M set) but it make a change from the usual Brake third/dining coaches in a train.

Slightly off topic, but Worsley Works are producing a similar body etch for the H2/D42 'Dreadnought' BUffet/Tea,Brake Third, which was a standard brake third, again with two compartments re-assigned for catering but with additional recessed doors on both sides. It really does stand out as something different. My order is in!

There were also Clerestory Brake Thirds modified in the same way and I am fairly sure one of the Betterbitz/247 etches with a Hornby body can be used for this.

Mike Wiltshire

Archived