Slater's GWR Toplights......

One type of toplight that is not often covered is the dining cars.

There is a Tony Hammond H16 set of brass sides that can be used, with a little modification with the Slaters kit. To add interest, the H16 had one 8ft American and one 9ft American bogie when first built. The only alternative is the David Geen kit.

Ends this afternoon at 17:39

http://my.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbay&gbh=1

Mike Wiltshire

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Mike,

I can now safely take it OFF my watch list as it will probably go for Monopoly money!

Mike Spence

• 3 weeks later...

It went for £62 - wow - really?

My ghast is flabbered yet again (as it always is with anything to do with ebay)… why on earth would anyone pay £62 for something which is also advertised on the Coopercraft web site for £45 and no risk involved? (Unless Coopercraft are telling porkies and the D47 is as rare as rocking-horse droppings, of course)

Off to my darkened room again, to recover...

There's another thread on here detailing people's experience of trying (and failing) to actually get goods out of Coopercraft these days. 

Indeed, here. It appears that only the plastic mouldings for the ex-Slater's coaches have been available for some time, no brass castings for some reason...

Nick

• RMweb Gold

It would be great to have the Toplights repackaged in a more user-friendly format. Keep the plastic parts, ditch the etched bogies, replace with Geen or 247 equivalents (work better and easier to assemble). While we're at it, retool the roof and/or interior partition mouldings so that they don't require extensive cutting and filing to fit together. Personally I also couldn't get on with the working corridor connections, which were too stiff to function usefully. The MJT units don't look as good but they do work reliably and take half an hour to assemble, as opposed to several sweary evenings for the Slaters ones...

There's another thread on here detailing people's experience of trying (and failing) to actually get goods out of Coopercraft these days. 

Very many thanks for the information - I honestly didn't know that Coopercraft were a bit dodgy at the moment. I'll read the appropriate thread to learn more.

Edit… 10 minutes later...

I have now skimmed through the 11 pages of that thread and understand now why someone might go as far as paying that amount on ebay for the kit, even though it seems from the comments that it is of questionable quality (I couldn't comment, being of the dark green persuasion, rather than sludge and off-white, but I would have liked a toplight or two nevertheless).

Although this is not unique to Coopercraft, why do companies advertise things on their web sites and catalogues that are manifestly not available and are unlikely to be in any reasonable timescale? Note for diary: never order anything from that web site...

It would be great to have the Toplights repackaged in a more user-friendly format. Keep the plastic parts, ditch the etched bogies, replace with Geen or 247 equivalents (work better and easier to assemble). While we're at it, retool the roof and/or interior partition mouldings so that they don't require extensive cutting and filing to fit together. Personally I also couldn't get on with the working corridor connections, which were too stiff to function usefully. The MJT units don't look as good but they do work reliably and take half an hour to assemble, as opposed to several sweary evenings for the Slaters ones...

With this volume of replacement parts, you are entering the brass kit territory, where the modern toplight kits do all fit together.

Mike Wiltshire

Happy new year everybody.

There are 4 built up Slaters kits on eBay at the moment. Low start with a reserve... the usual stuff.  Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kitbuilt-Slaters-00-gauge-GWR-57-Toplight-Composite-To-Diagram-E88-/181628915064?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a49ed4d78

No link to the seller, I just saw them and if anyone was hoping to keep these a secret.. sorry :)

Craig W

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks again Mike - marked it in my wish list the moment it came on. I can now safely take it off my wish list!

Please read post 81 above of my response to your last helpful hint re eBay...........................

I am NOT happy.

Mike Spence

Thanks again Mike - marked it in my wish list the moment it came on. I can now safely take it off my wish list!

Please read post 81 above of my response to your last helpful hint re eBay...........................

I am NOT happy.

Mike Spence

The thing is that most people who want one of these will have Slater's in their search like I do and I am watching it but unlikely to bid. But a PM will be better. 

I am NOT happy.

Mike Spence

I was not aware that eBay sales of Slater's toplights are exclusive to you. There are many members of RM Web who are looking for these coaches and if I spot them I inform EVERYONE who is interested as I do with etched sides, Blacksmith kits etc.With two bids already placed clearly there are others besides you who want it.

I always thought the idea of this forum was to help each other.

I will keep the location of the C28/E88 that will be available soon to myself.To help a good friend, I have just sourced alternative zinc sides to replace the awful warped ones in the kit, and he may longer sell them. Maybe I should not have bothered helping him, to give you another chance of buying toplights on eBay.

I am NOT happy!

Mike Wiltshire

I'm not sure that these kits do go for silly money. The last one went for £62, which isn't a massive premium on the £45 that CooperCraft would theoretically charge you for the it (although that price is probably several years out of date given the state of Coopercraft).

If you want to see silly prices, check out how much some D&S kits go for on eBay....

At the Wigan show last weekend, a little bird told me that Mr Coopercraft had just paid out for a new "vac forming" machine as the old one was beyond repair.  

There were quite a number of GWR coach sides, ends, roofs for sale on the stand but I did not personally check these out and whether a D47 was amongst them.  His problem remains the sourcing of castings though.

If one is happy to obtain the sides and other plastic parts only then the other elements can be sourced elsewhere.  Given the feedback of the inside bearing Slaters bogies, a lot of people seem to replace these anyway and they are quite an expensive part of the mix.  For example, Dart Castings supply GWR bogies and also alu toplight roofs

I would suggest attending a show to see if a kit of parts for the toplights can be put together.

At the Wigan show last weekend, a little bird told me that Mr Coopercraft had just paid out for a new "vac forming" machine as the old one was beyond repair.  

There were quite a number of GWR coach sides, ends, roofs for sale on the stand but I did not personally check these out and whether a D47 was amongst them.  His problem remains the sourcing of castings though.

If one is happy to obtain the sides and other plastic parts only then the other elements can be sourced elsewhere.  Given the feedback of the inside bearing Slaters bogies, a lot of people seem to replace these anyway and they are quite an expensive part of the mix.  For example, Dart Castings supply GWR bogies and also alu toplight roofs

I would suggest attending a show to see if a kit of parts for the toplights can be put together.

MJT (Dart Castings) don't do either of the bogie types for the Toplights (8' American or 9' Fishbelly), although they apparently can be sourced elsewhere (e.g. David Geen). Alternatively, the Slaters cosmetic sideframes could be used on MJT CCUs, but then you would still have to buy the Slaters bogies.

Adrian

Archived