Slater's GWR Toplights......

Out of idle curiosity I cluck the link and had a quick look.  Last night Ebay sent me an e-mail inviting me to have another look.  Can't a chap have any privacy?!

Chris 

• 1 year later...

I'd like an early Toplight (ie with toplights and panelling) brake third to add a bit of prototypical variety to my 1947 layout, but were there many D47's as portrayed in the Slaters kit running in largely original condition in 1947? I understand that some were converted to ambulance coaches but not all and Russell Appendix Vol 1 p74 shows a D47 in what looks to me to be largely original condition. So would I be right to think that a Slaters or Blacksmith D47 would be OK for my needs or have I missed something?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance anyone is able to provide.

If you want the Slaters toplight kits, then second hand is your only choice.

I have bought 4 sides from the chap who now is selling/running down the range, but as time goes buy the choice and availability is nearly zero. Only buy at shows as his mail order seems from this thread and others a bit haphazard, from memory sides, roof, ends and floor sections available

If you want the Slaters toplight kits, then second hand is your only choice.

I have bought 4 sides from the chap who now is selling/running down the range, but as time goes buy the choice and availability is nearly zero. Only buy at shows as his mail order seems from this thread and others a bit haphazard, from memory sides, roof, ends and floor sections available

Thanks very much John, I've heard similar myself. I should have said that I've got a friend who thinks he has a Slaters or Blacksmith D47 kit he can pass on to me.

Cheers,

Ben

By 1947 the paneled toplights general service stock, were coming to the end of their lives with most general stock gone by the mid 1950's. As for condition, life extension repairs saw much of the paneling removed. As an example he is a close up of a Brake third in the late 40's with few of the original panels lefts. Every door on this one had been replaced with steel panels. On the plus side, the Slater's kit can have the panels filled in with plasticard.

post-9992-0-32241500-1483009647_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks very much John, I've heard similar myself. I should have said that I've got a friend who thinks he has a Slaters or Blacksmith D47 kit he can pass on to me.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben

I have about 4 sets of sides now, initial idea was to use them to replace some PC kits sides (as I never can get them to stay stuck) however may just buy some Comet parts and build some new ones

I suppose the problem with the toplights in later life and a critcism I see aimed at the likes of Hornby and Bachmann (although mainly Hornby) when ever these are mentioned in the wishlist threads, is this issue of the GWR plating over the panelling.

I presume that each one was modified as the need arise and so consequently each one was different. A minefield if a major producer wanted to make a kit or rtr which represented them in later life. And if they did model them with some plating, you would then see lots on the same layout with the same areas panelled over. 

My inclination would be to model them with full panelling, mainly because thats what I like and they make a great change to steel sided stock. Then if anyone wants to fill in the odd panel they are free to do so.

But hey, I'd just be happy to see them appear.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose the problem with the toplights in later life and a critcism I see aimed at the likes of Hornby and Bachmann (although mainly Hornby) when ever these are mentioned in the wishlist threads, is this issue of the GWR plating over the panelling.

I presume that each one was modified as the need arise and so consequently each one was different. A minefield if a major producer wanted to make a kit or rtr which represented them in later life. And if they did model them with some plating, you would then see lots on the same layout with the same areas panelled over. 

My inclination would be to model them with full panelling, mainly because thats what I like and they make a great change to steel sided stock. Then if anyone wants to fill in the odd panel they are free to do so.

But hey, I'd just be happy to see them appear.

I must admit I've been thinking of emailing Taffy at Oxford Rail to see if he would consider doing them as Hornby have just done the new Collett coaches this year and Bachmann unfortunately seems to be a lost cause these days what a better coach than an early period toplight to go with the Deans Goods, or If we collectively get together and approach Oxford in numbers he might sit up and listen.

Your thought's and /or ideas please.

I must admit I've been thinking of emailing Taffy at Oxford Rail to see if he would consider doing them as Hornby have just done the new Collett coaches this year and Bachmann unfortunately seems to be a lost cause these days what a better coach than an early period toplight to go with the Deans Goods, or If we collectively get together and approach Oxford in numbers he might sit up and listen.

Given the furore here over the accuracy or not of the Dean Goods is that wise? Then again with no previous rtr version at all it could only be an improvement. Plus if there are so many variations of toplight and condition/details over years maybe what they could produce matches some. And a generic toplight better than none at all, giving sone welcome and prototypical variety to our gwr rakes

I must admit I've been thinking of emailing Taffy at Oxford Rail to see if he would consider doing them as Hornby have just done the new Collett coaches this year and Bachmann unfortunately seems to be a lost cause these days what a better coach than an early period toplight to go with the Deans Goods, or If we collectively get together and approach Oxford in numbers he might sit up and listen.

Is that wise?

Assuming Hornby is uninterested and Bachmann too busy playing catch-up with its own range, I'd ask Rapido.

Rapido would be accurate.  Rapido would do you a nice interior.  Rapido has a good working relationship with a very good Chinese factory and does not seem to suffer any problems translating a spectacular CAD into a spectacular model.

• RMweb Gold

Given the furore here over the accuracy or not of the Dean Goods is that wise? Then again with no previous rtr version at all it could only be an improvement. Plus if there are so many variations of toplight and condition/details over years maybe what they could produce matches some. And a generic toplight better than none at all, giving sone welcome and prototypical variety to our gwr rakes

I tend to agree, but if there's even a whiff of the G word they'll get torn apart on here. GWR fans are nothing if not picky about period............

My own choice for making them would have to be Hornby as they are likely to be the only ones likely to consider taking on the multi-slide tooling needed to cover Toplights in original condition in addition to the increasingly sheeted-over state necessary to portray them from the mid-1930s onward. 

I'd be happy to add the sheeting myself because it allows specific vehicles to be copied from photos. By the 1950s, surviving examples were looking a bit ratty anyway, but I can't see it being universally acclaimed. Mind you, pre-coloured loose panels for owner application could work.

However, I suspect that the relative rarity and somewhat random appearance of the prototypes by the time of the most popular modelling era will count against them being produced in r-t-r form at all.

John

Count me out on toplights. I gave up waiting years ago and made my own and do not really need any more.

For a mainstream producer, the steel sided tended to keep their original identity much longer and have less variations.

post-9992-0-98623000-1483122926_thumb.jpg

And the many cut and shut modellers can turn them into 70 footers.

post-9992-0-64743800-1483123018_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Panelled 'Toplight' coaches were withdrawn first. The Multibars were steel clad and were built just before the Grouping in 1923 and therefore lasted the longest. Nevertheless, don't expect the steel-clad Toplights to have lasted much beyond 1959.  Don't rely too heavily on 'Condemned Dates' in Russell's GWR coach books  -  Some dates are 1966!  Far safer to look for them in photos....... They were thin on the ground by the end of the 1950's.

I built a Worsley Works Multibar Toplight from their etched sides in 4mm...

post-6680-0-26999200-1483123132.jpg

It strikes me that earlier liveries, e.g. lined chocolate and cream and crimson lake, involve lining out on raised beading.  I do not know whether even state of the art tampo printing is up to this; I remember that Bachmann bottled it when it came to lining out its LMS Period I coaches in fully lined pre-1933 livery.

Count me out on toplights. I gave up waiting years ago and made my own and do not really need any more.

For a mainstream producer, the steel sided tended to keep their original identity much longer and have less variations.

attachicon.gifd46.jpg

And the many cut and shut modellers can turn them into 70 footers.

attachicon.gifd69.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Indeed, Mike, I had assumed that this discussion concerned wooden panelled Toplights, of which I have enough for the inter-war period.  Steel bodied Toplights, on the other hand, I could use a few more of.

Of course, if someone brought out any Toplights in pre-Grouping livery, I'd buy them!

It strikes me that earlier liveries, e.g. lined chocolate and cream and crimson lake, involve lining out on raised beading.  I do not know whether even state of the art tampo printing is up to this; I remember that Bachmann bottled it when it came to lining out its LMS Period I coaches in fully lined pre-1933 livery.

The steel sided had pseudo fully paneled lining throughout the 20's. Hornby proved they can do they with the corridor clerestories back in the 1980's.

Mike Wiltshire

Rapido would be accurate.  Rapido would do you a nice interior.  Rapido has a good working relationship with a very good Chinese factory and does not seem to suffer any problems translating a spectacular CAD into a spectacular model.

...Rapido would be way outside you price range....

Archived