East Midlands Miscellany

No doubt like countless other Derbians and trainspotters, I spent many happy hours sitting on top of this bridge so am quite surprised at it's demise, although given the amount of road traffic that has gone over it, it's not that great a shock, really.

My very first railway photographs were taken from here (& developed & printed at school!) and I remember that when I was a school kid, I could sit on the top with no problem - later I developed my fear of heights which reduced the fun but it was still a great view from there.

R.I.P. London Road bridge.

• Like 1

Moving across to the suburbs of Nottingham, we look over the bridge at the site of Radford station. Just in time to catch a Cl.47 coming off the Trowell branch with a Glasgow - Nottingham train.

We are just in time in another sense too as, judging by the headboard, this was one of the last of these through workings.

post-6880-0-42166700-1390083298.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Until 2002 I walked over that bridge on the way to work in the RTC.  By that time it had acquired various reinforcements and clearly wasn't a happy bridge even then. 

Apparently the work to replace it started over Christmas and will last until next autumn.  Seems a very long time for one bridge! 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-25495486

It has actually been closed for about 4 months already with all traffic diverted via Osmaston Road or Pride Park. Contractors have been doing preparation work as they have installed a temporary pedestrian and cyclists bridge and had to re-route all the gas, electric, phone and water services. Bridge was removed over the Christmas break. These newspaper reports give further information - cost of £6.9m !

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/City-roads-moving-despite-bridge-closure/story-19761881-detail/story.html

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Temporary-footbridge-road-closures-Derby/story-20249663-detail/story.html

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-s-Victorian-London-Road-bridge-demolished/story-20364975-detail/story.html

EDIT - just realised that in a couple of those reports there are several photos - look for the left/right arrows and scroll through to see some interesting shots of the demolition

Edited by Mike Bellamy

Moving eastwards across the region we hit the ECML south of Grantham at High Dyke. On a gorgeous June day in 1973 we find 9013 "The Black Watch" heading south with the 08.00 Edinburgh - King's Cross.

Much of what we see here has now been consigned to history, though a little bit of the former telegraph wiring survives on one of my layouts to operate the points..... :sungum:

post-6880-0-41125500-1390135854.jpg

• Like 8

Despite being almost brand new, this Cl.58 is throwing out a lot of clag as it leaves Ratcliffe Power Station with the daily flyash train to Fletton near Peterborough.

If you look at the picture very carefully, you can just make out a Cl.47 leaving Redhill Tunnel - just to the right of the white building in the centre of the photo. Can you spot it?

post-6880-0-34633800-1390250200.jpg

• Like 7

How many of us have stood in this spot to get a view of Toton Yard and the adjoining depot? There was always the elusive numbers you couldn't see, despite having binoculars

A typical misty day in the Erewash Valley is brightened up by a Cl.25 on the Down Main with a vacuum-braked coal train. A pity there's not a brakevan on the rear, but by this period fitted trains could run without them.

Behind the train in the Old Bank Sidings is a rake of tipplers with an ex-SR brakevan on the end. A Cl.08 waits by the Up Hump to shunt the next arrival.

post-6880-0-63994300-1390252061.jpg

• Like 12

Looking east from King's Mills Lane, near the village of Weston upon Trent. The road up to the railway bridge is quite steep so I used to practise hill starts here whilst learning to drive. Could get distracted by the trains though.....

Castle Donington power station is on the right, whilst on the horizon is the mighty Ratcliffe. Castle Donington has long since gone. The Cl.47 and its train has just crossed over the Trent & Mersey Canal.

post-6880-0-46987800-1390341981_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

With the city on the horizon, a Sheffield - St Pancras HST accelerates away from its Derby stop. The train is really kicking-up the snow.

Note an additional second class trailer marshalled at the rear of the unit. The train is also the wrong way round as first class should usually be at the London end. Though on the Midland Line this was hard to achieve at times, especially with some trains reversing at Nottingham.

post-6880-0-49155300-1390345421.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

No doubt like countless other Derbians and trainspotters, I spent many happy hours sitting on top of this bridge so am quite surprised at it's demise, although given the amount of road traffic that has gone over it, it's not that great a shock, really.

My very first railway photographs were taken from here (& developed & printed at school!) and I remember that when I was a school kid, I could sit on the top with no problem - later I developed my fear of heights which reduced the fun but it was still a great view from there.

R.I.P. London Road bridge.

Me too but I always stood on the cross bar of my bike as I always had difficulties with heights, it was OK until some ratbag would give the bike a shove....ouch it still hurts!!

Question: Between Chellaston Rd, about a mile and a half along the Weston Rd there was a small dump of withdrawn locos maybe a dozen, all were 0-6-0s or 0-6-0 tanks some were "fivers" so would have been pre LMS builds anyone remember them?? I recall we had to sprint from the road across a farmers field as he didn't like trainspotters on his property.

Beautiful photography bringing back some great memories.

Rgds.......Mike

seems a strange numbering arrangment, 334 to 342, wonder where 336 was?

i think they are still numbered that now, i had an AWS fault along there last week which bought me to a stop and DY342 rings a bell to me (or not in the case of the AWS fault!)

i'll have a look later tonight when i pass over there en route to and from ratcliffe

I've got a copy of the as built plan for Derby PSB and it has no 336 (or 340, 337, 339 either). 

Question: Between Chellaston Rd, about a mile and a half along the Weston Rd there was a small dump of withdrawn locos maybe a dozen, all were 0-6-0s or 0-6-0 tanks some were "fivers" so would have been pre LMS builds anyone remember them?? I recall we had to sprint from the road across a farmers field as he didn't like trainspotters on his property.

Beautiful photography bringing back some great memories.

Rgds.......Mike

Probably ex Midland 2Fs and 0-4-4Ts. I can just about remember St.Andrew's Goods Yard being full of old locos plus some lined up between London Road and Osmaston Road but I didn't bother about them as they weren't in the Ian Allan ABCs. What a mistaka ta maka as 'Allo 'Allo's Captain Bertarelli would say!

• Like 2

A notable freight working in the East Midlands during the 1980s was the Lackenby - Corby steel train. After a period of pairs of Thornaby Cl.37/5s on the working, there was a time when two Cl.56s became the norm.

Here we see such a working passing Toton Yard. The building behind the train is the wagon repair shop.

post-6880-0-64971400-1390501468.jpg

• Like 10

Hathern station was on the Midland mainline between Trent and Loughborough. Being some "two short miles" from the village it served, it closed even before Dr Beeching arrived on the scene. Here we see a "Peak" on the daily Ratcliffe to Fletton flyash train passing Hathern on the up goods, a change from the more usual Cl.58 power of the mid 1980s.

post-6880-0-14880400-1390596944.jpg

• Like 7

A notable freight working in the East Midlands during the 1980s was the Lackenby - Corby steel train. After a period of pairs of Thornaby Cl.37/5s on the working, there was a time when two Cl.56s became the norm.

Here we see such a working passing Toton Yard. The building behind the train is the wagon repair shop.

Fantastic images Pete, as a native of Long Eaton they really take me back to my earliest train spotting days. I think the period of 56s on the Lackenby - Corby steel came before the 37/5s arrived and it was very brief. The dip in coal traffic due to the Miners' Strike meant BR had a lot of 56s (and they were still being delivered at this time) that were underemployed, and they found their way onto petroleum and steel trains, this working being one of them. After the strike ended it went back to Thornaby 37s, and refurbished 37s from 1986 onwards.