East Midlands Miscellany

You can just make out a van behind the centre of the train:

post-6880-0-86542900-1389995715.jpg

That was still there until a couple of years ago, along with a brake van. You can still see it on google maps. - Might even have got a mention on the 'abandoned wagons' thread!

• Like 5

As John mentioned earlier, London Road Bridge in Derby was something of a magnet for trainspotters. I wonder how many tens of thousands have stood, perhaps on tip-toe, to look over the dark gritstone abutments?

They'd have seen a view similar to this. And this being Derby, there just had to be some "Peaks" on view.

post-6880-0-26074600-1390749985.jpg

• Like 5

A line-up of Sulzer power in the Klondyke Sidings at Derby Loco Works. Along with the more usual Cl.25 and Cl.46, the Cl.27 is down from Scotland for repair due to pressures at Glasgow Works.

At least one even escaped as far S as Leicester once repaired, here on a running-in turn from Derby.

gallery_6971_807_71911.jpg

(It was persisting it down, hence the dingy photo)

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

As John mentioned earlier, London Road Bridge in Derby was something of a magnet for trainspotters. I wonder how many tens of thousands have stood, perhaps on tip-toe, to look over the dark gritstone abutments?

Maybe that's why the bridge has been demolished, all those 'spotters' had worn it out.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-s-Victorian-London-Road-bridge-demolished/story-20364975-detail/story.html

• RMweb Gold

the last time i stood on that bridge was when they were building the 158's for some foreign country.

when i started working in derby back in 2007 (with fastline) i was looking on google maps to find the bridge only to discover it was no longer there, the road leading up to it is called "longbridge lane", derby wasn't somewhere i visted very often as a kid but looking at the pictures of the old works i dont remember any of it! looking at the area now its hard to imagine there was even a works there (other than the remaining part of the roundhouse) and i bet a lot of students in the uni are unaware of the history of the place!

my "derby memory" is of 08's sat in the sidings next to the power 'box and seeing exotic creatures such as the 151 unit on the matlock service

derbyclass151.jpg

and 30odd years later i can still be seen sat in a cab in derby!!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

my "derby memory" is of 08's sat in the sidings next to the power 'box ...

My Derby memory is of an 08 hauling  line of elderly wagons north past the station, with the brakes dragging on one of the wagons. After it had trundled past, smoke started rising from a sleeper. Eventually somebody came and peered at it, did nothing and went away again.  After a bit the smoke thinned and stopped.

One of the key junctions in the region is at Stenson, where routes converge from Derby, Nottingham/Toton, Birmingham and Stoke. Here a pair of Immingham Cl.31s take the freight line to Sheet Stores Junction with empty oil tankers for South Humberside. The tracks in the foreground lead to Willington power station.

post-6880-0-80450200-1390947757.jpg

• Like 3

Remember the Swindon Cl.120 Cross-Country DMUs that held sway in the East Midlands for almost 20 years? Comfy, well sprung seats, with the heating on full blast - soon made one dozy on the way home after a full day out trainspotting. Here we see one at Derby waiting to depart from platform 2 with a mid afternoon service.

post-6880-0-45934900-1391010727.jpg

• Like 6

One of the key junctions in the region is at Stenson, where routes converge from Derby, Nottingham/Toton, Birmingham and Stoke. Here a pair of Immingham Cl.31s take the freight line to Sheet Stores Junction with empty oil tankers for South Humberside. The tracks in the foreground lead to Willington power station.

The tracks in the foreground have gone now Peter, as has Willington PS although the cooling towers are still standing.

I preferred to take views of the everyday scene, but occasionally one of these would come along so they were worth a snap. At least this engine has a Derbyshire connection; Sir Nigel's family descendants coming from the village of Gresley. Here we see the A4 on the Five Arches Bridge, just north of Derby station. 

post-6880-0-84039100-1391032099.jpg

• Like 3