East Midlands Miscellany

The line between Melton and Saxby was very busy in steam days. Heavy freight from Toton to Brent, expresses from London to Nottingham, Leeds, Bradford and Scotland. Plus the holiday rush over the MGN to Cromer and Yarmouth.

But in 1974 those glory days were over. Here at Brentingby Junction we find 6E56 (there were still headcodes then) heading towards Melton behind 47182. These were empty oil tanks returning to Immingham from the Langley terminal near Heathrow.

The signalman is obviously on the ball, as he's already returned the down home to main signal to danger.[/quote

Another one which rekindles memories of time standing by the lineside around Corby and Kettering. The Langley tanks were one of the few trains to be pretty well guaranteed a Brush 4 which could be from just about anywhere so worth the effort to try and catch. I don't remember seeing anything else on this train until a 56 appeared in about 1982. I don't have a WTT but seem to remember there were two a day, one of them passed Corby around 6 in the evening I think it was, the Northbound trains often ran up the mainline so weren't often seen on the branch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not quite what you're after, but is this of interest Mike?

Peter.

Do you have any shots of the Battery Electrics that used to work around the power station at Spondon?

Steve

Peter.

Do you have any shots of the Battery Electrics that used to work around the power station at Spondon?

Steve

Sorry Steve I don't.

They never appeared at the station-end of the exchange sidings, at least not when I was around. Sometimes you could spot one in the distance coupling onto a rake of HUOs to take them into the power station, but that's the closest they usually got.

• RMweb Gold
The line between Melton and Saxby was very busy in steam days. Heavy freight from Toton to Brent, expresses from London to Nottingham, Leeds, Bradford and Scotland. Plus the holiday rush over the MGN to Cromer and Yarmouth.

But in 1974 those glory days were over. Here at Brentingby Junction we find 6E56 (there were still headcodes then) heading towards Melton behind 47182. These were empty oil tanks returning to Immingham from the Langley terminal near Heathrow.

The signalman is obviously on the ball, as he's already returned the down home to main signal to danger.[/quote

Another one which rekindles memories of time standing by the lineside around Corby and Kettering. The Langley tanks were one of the few trains to be pretty well guaranteed a Brush 4 which could be from just about anywhere so worth the effort to try and catch. I don't remember seeing anything else on this train until a 56 appeared in about 1982. I don't have a WTT but seem to remember there were two a day, one of them passed Corby around 6 in the evening I think it was, the Northbound trains often ran up the mainline so weren't often seen on the branch.

Rangers, would this be the north bound tanks you referred to? 

31, 6Z11 Glendon 24/12/74 11:27

post-224-0-50364600-1393189610_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

For a change from the usual mix of Cl.47s and Cl.20s on MGR trains, occasionally in the mid 1970s pairs of Cl.37s could appear on the Erewash Valley line. Here two of Tinsley's finest power away from Toton North Yard with empty HAAs for the ER.

Are those military ambulances loaded on to warflats in the background?

Are those military ambulances loaded on to warflats in the background?

Looks like it Pete. Perhaps they've been tripped to/from Chilwell.

The northbound tanks at Glendon are a special working with the "Z" headcode". As the date shown is Christmas Eve, presumably they want to get the empty tanks back to the oil refinery before the holiday shutdown starts.

• RMweb Gold

The northbound tanks at Glendon are a special working with the "Z" headcode". As the date shown is Christmas Eve, presumably they want to get the empty tanks back to the oil refinery before the holiday shutdown starts.

Going the other way. 46006 6E49 Glendon 24/11/74

post-224-0-02069600-1393192008_thumb.jpg

Edited by geoff
  • Like 1

Hard to say if that's a down Langley working, certainly the routing is northbound on the mainline but the 47 was usually a give away for the Langley. I believe the reason was that it was an out and back working and the crews responsible for the WR leg weren't universally trained on 45s. Also, those tanks look like heavy oil or bitumen rather than kerosene which I think Langley received.

There were irregular workings/ specials for ad-hoc flows to cover deliveries of fuel oil to some customers who needed standby supplies for instance.

Going the other way. 46006 6E49 Glendon 24/11/74

attachicon.gif46006.jpg

6E49 is on the up main, most unusual at this point, as it would have been routed down the mainline from Leicester, most freight coming that way would have been turned on to the slow lines in the background at Glendon Nth. Assuming the head code is correct, it would suggest its a return to Ripple Lane, not a Langley.

Heavily loaded freight rarely went via the mainline and even less common behind 45s/46s which had lower maximum loads than 47s. MGRs were virtually unknown loaded on the mainline, the Manton road allowing another three or four wagons for a 45/46 or about seven for a 47. Similar restrictions would have applied to tanks.

Heavily loaded freight rarely went via the mainline and even less common behind 45s/46s which had lower maximum loads than 47s. MGRs were virtually unknown loaded on the mainline, the Manton road allowing another three or four wagons for a 45/46 or about seven for a 47. Similar restrictions would have applied to tanks.

The 45 mph limit (or was it 50?) for loaded MGRs wouldn't help either.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

Moving back to Spondon Station we see something that was once a daily event there, some fly shunting. The full HUOs for Spondon Power Station would arrive from Gedling Colliery and stop in the down loop. The brake van would be uncoupled, then the loco (or locos as it was more often than not a pair of Class 20s) would reverse the complete train then suddenly stop before reaching the level crossing, allowing the brake van to gently roll into the sidings onto a rake of empties. The train would then draw forward again, the loco/s run round, then draw the wagons (minus brake van) into one of the exchange sidings.The loco/s would uncouple, draw forward, then back onto the empties with the brake van on the rear. The whole ensemble then being propelled over the level crossing into the down loop. When the mainline was clear, they'd head back to Gedling.

post-6880-0-67984300-1393276578.jpg

• Like 7

Could it have been heating oil for Corby; at the time, the furnaces and soaking-pits would still have been operational?

Neither of these trains would have run through Corby, ones heading North about to leave the down goods on to the double track section towards Mkt Harborough, the other on the up mainline with the goods lines/ Corby and Manton road behind it.

I can't recall much in the way of oil being delivered to Corby although there were tank trains appeared in the BSC yard adjacent to what is now the BR line to the slitting plant. I'd guess these were delivering fuel oil for the loco fleet.

The furnaces were all powered by gas from the coke ovens which was plentiful and essentially free as it had to go somewhere. The works had been built to be self sufficient in gas as well as supplying the surrounding area. When the area was converted to natural gas for its domestic supply in 1973, BSC was left with a huge amount of gas which needed to be flared off.

Going the other way. 46006 6E49 Glendon 24/11/74

attachicon.gif46006.jpg

6E49 is on the up main, most unusual at this point, as it would have been routed down the mainline from Leicester, most freight coming that way would have been turned on to the slow lines in the background at Glendon Nth. Assuming the head code is correct, it would suggest its a return to Ripple Lane, not a Langley.

I have the WTTs for summer 74 and summer 75, unfortunately not for winter 74/75, which would cover the period of the picture.

In the 74 timetable the southbound 6E49 (there is also a northbound 6E49) is shown as

6E49
07 50 Empties Kingsbury to Purfleet
D1150 - Class 45 locomotives
TThSO
AIR
COY

Kingsbury            07 50
Tamworth HL          07/59
Wichnor Jn           08/09
Leicester Jn         08/25
Stenson Jn           08/42
Sheet Stores Jn      09*03
Sheet Stores Jn      09*09
Trent Jn             09*14
Trent Jn             09*26
Loughborough         09/40
Syston North Jn      09/55
Leicester North      10L00
Leicester North      10L05
Wigston North Jn     10/15
Market Harboro'      10/32
Little Bowden Jn     10X34
Desboro' North       10*42
Desboro' North       11*02
Glendon North Jn     11X10 SL
Glendon South Jn     11/12
Kettering            11/17
Finedon Road         11L28
Finedon Road         12X08 GL (SO times are few minutes earlier from here)
Wellingboro' Station 12/11
Irchester South      12/19
Sharnbrook           12/28
Bedford North        12/37
Kempston Road Jn     12/40
Leagrave             13/12
Luton South          13/16
Harpenden            13/22
St. Albans           13/32
Elstree              13/43
Hendon               13/49
Cricklewood Jn       13L56
Cricklewood Jn       14L28
Finchley Road        14/33
Carlton Road Jn      14/36
Gospel Oak           14*39
Gospel Oak           14*41
Junction Road Jn     14/45
Upper Holloway       14/46

The summer 75 WTT has virtually the same times, I presume winter 74/75 would be the same.

Hope that helps. (Edit: Not sure why the code is in colour!)

But it leads me to a question. My interest is in the area around Nottingham. I have the signalling diagram for Trent PSB, and so am familiar with the layout around Trent.

Just what were the "shunt for following train to pass" movements at SS Jn and Trent Jn?

Edited by DavidBird

I have the WTTs for summer 74 and summer 75, unfortunately not for winter 74/75, which would cover the period of the picture.

In the 74 timetable the southbound 6E49 (there is also a northbound 6E49) is shown as

6E49
07 50 Empties Kingsbury to Purfleet
D1150 - Class 45 locomotives
TThSO
AIR
COY

Kingsbury            07 50
Tamworth HL          07/59
Wichnor Jn           08/09
Leicester Jn         08/25
Stenson Jn           08/42
Sheet Stores Jn      09*03
Sheet Stores Jn      09*09
Trent Jn             09*14
Trent Jn             09*26
Loughborough         09/40
Syston North Jn      09/55
Leicester North      10L00
Leicester North      10L05
Wigston North Jn     10/15
Market Harboro'      10/32
Little Bowden Jn     10X34
Desboro' North       10*42
Desboro' North       11*02
Glendon North Jn     11X10 SL
Glendon South Jn     11/12
Kettering            11/17
Finedon Road         11L28
Finedon Road         12X08 GL (SO times are few minutes earlier from here)
Wellingboro' Station 12/11
Irchester South      12/19
Sharnbrook           12/28
Bedford North        12/37
Kempston Road Jn     12/40
Leagrave             13/12
Luton South          13/16
Harpenden            13/22
St. Albans           13/32
Elstree              13/43
Hendon               13/49
Cricklewood Jn       13L56
Cricklewood Jn       14L28
Finchley Road        14/33
Carlton Road Jn      14/36
Gospel Oak           14*39
Gospel Oak           14*41
Junction Road Jn     14/45
Upper Holloway       14/46

The summer 75 WTT has virtually the same times, I presume winter 74/75 would be the same.

Hope that helps. (Edit: Not sure why the code is in colour!)

But it leads me to a question. My interest is in the area around Nottingham. I have the signalling diagram for Trent PSB, and so am familiar with the layout around Trent.

Just what were the "shunt for following train to pass" movements at SS Jn and Trent Jn?

David,

I think the "shunt for following train to pass" is to do with pathing. The train won't be physically shunted out of the way, but at Sheet Stores, for example, it might have to wait for a train/s passing on the Derby line before it can proceed.

David,

I think the "shunt for following train to pass" is to do with pathing. The train won't be physically shunted out of the way, but at Sheet Stores, for example, it might have to wait for a train/s passing on the Derby line before it can proceed.

At Trent (not to be confused with Trent Jn) there are Up & Down loops on the Nottingham lines, so a shunt would make sense there, but at Trent Jn or SS Jn there are no loops.  After I'd posted the question it occurred that it might be as simple as just waiting for another train to pass before continuing. 

I've just had a look at the Mandatory WTT for 74/75.

The 1C20 0855 Derby to St Pancras is shown as Long Eaton 09 06, SS Jn 09/07,

and

1M13 0830 Sheffield to St Pancras, Toton Centre 09/14, Trent 09/20, Trent Jn 09/211/2