East Midlands Miscellany

• RMweb Gold

9T26 also would have worked this way from the stump of the Kettering - Huntingdon line to Twywell but that was a type 2 turn, possibly type 4s were barred from the branch.

Rangers, here is a series of pictures taken at Twywell. I believe that the material loaded here was ironstone sand and was haul by road and tipped into the wagons from the loading bank near the former station building, now a private residence.

Geoff

post-224-0-61001900-1392494731_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-06080200-1392494782_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-81871700-1392494811_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-20863400-1392494868_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-69210600-1392494886_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-69373000-1392494911_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-47931300-1392494942_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Class 40s were never that common in the East Midlands, except for the those traversing the ECML. But here we find one heading round the curve at Stanton Gate, on the Erewash Valley line, with northbound steel empties. The year is 1984 and with the Miner's Strike on, sometimes strange loco workings appeared.

post-6880-0-02054100-1392571633.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I spent many, many hours watching the trains go by through Spondon, in all kinds of weather. Here on a glorious summer's morning in the mid 1980s, an up HST accelerates as it approaches the station. In the background, another HST disappears beneath Raynewsay bridge heading for Derby.

Hmmm, Spondon.

Don't suppose you've got any shots of the ex Murgatroyd bogie tanks please?

Mike.

Class 40s were never that common in the East Midlands, except for the those traversing the ECML. But here we find one heading round the curve at Stanton Gate, on the Erewash Valley line, with northbound steel empties. The year is 1984 and with the Miner's Strike on, sometimes strange loco workings appeared.

This was almost certainly a return Corby - Lackenby. In the early days (1980 onwards) it was booked a loco change at Toton, there was no dedicated pool as in later years so the stretch from there to Corby usually involved anything allocated there. At some point, around mid1983 I think it was, it changed and the same locos worked through. I'd have to say I don't know the full history but all manner of locos worked through, including NE allocated 20s, 31s, 37s (the norm), 40s and 46s. The last two were comparatively rare and I was never sure if the 20s had worked through in one go, fuel range would have been on the limit I'd have thought, but all were seen more than once at Corby.

That's probably the most comprehensive collection of pics I've ever seen of Twywell, it was a bit far for us to cycle and trains too infrequent to make it worthwhile,The material was ironstone sand, basically very soft ironstone which was quarried and ferried to the railhead in trucks. It was mixed into the furnace charge as part of the sintering process I believe.The 31s weren't common so these pics add a bit more spice. I'd be interested to see any shots you might have of the tipper trucks used, it might settle a bit of a mystery which came up a year or two back.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the middle two vehicles are out of line with the outer driving cars. Tilt failure maybe?

Cheers,

Mick

Possibly a deliberate tilt failure, the tilt jacks on individual vehicles could be positioned as required by the engineers on the train. ISTR running with cars stuck at max. tilt was quite common - used to test comfort/safety/handling in a worst case scenario. Presumably also for gauging purposes - vehicles were designed to be ‘in gauge‘ at max. tilt but this would depend on the speed (due to effects on the kinematic envelope)

Unfortunately, this sometimes happened (unplanned) to the APT-P while in service - but at least the train could continue at reduced speed

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium

Possibly a deliberate tilt failure, the tilt jacks on individual vehicles could be positioned as required by the engineers on the train. ISTR running with cars stuck at max. tilt was quite common - used to test comfort/safety/handling in a worst case scenario. Presumably also for gauging purposes - vehicles were designed to be ‘in gauge‘ at max. tilt but this would depend on the speed (due to effects on the kinematic envelope)

Unfortunately, this sometimes happened (unplanned) to the APT-P while in service - but at least the train could continue at reduced speed

ISTR that was one of the major failings of the APT-P passenger saloon. As it narrowed towards the top of the body to remain in gauge during tilt failure. It was a much more claustrophobic environment than a normal passenger coach.

If I remember correctly, the closed environment combined with high levels of tilt created travel sickness amongst some passengers. (The tilt was tuned to virtually remove the feel of the curve and the human brain was sent mixed messages of seeing the tilt and curve, but not feeling the curve - classic travel sickness conditions). Both the narrow body and travel sickness problems were minimised by making the trains tilt less and running at cant deficiency levels where the human body can feel some of the curve.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Ramsline Halt was one of the lesser known stations, if it can be called that, in the Derby area. Opened in January 1990 it closed seven years later when DCFC moved to their new ground at Pride Park.

Apparently only four trains ever used this facility. The view here was taken before the station opened.

post-6880-0-25170600-1392935040.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Opened in January 1990 it closed seven years later when DCFC moved to their new ground at Pride Park.Apparently only four trains ever used this facility.

i use it every time im on the sinfin job, i stop the loco with the leading cab just past the ramp at the country end and it saves a climb down to uncouple!

the way out signs are still up on the platform but the "ramsline halt" signs went about 5 years back

out of interest any pics of either of the 2 sinfin stations?

I've always thought that the south end of Leicester (London Road) station would make a good basis for a model. Busy spot with a good variety of traffic in a rather cramped location.

Apart from some of the signs on the station, the scene had changed little from steam days. One could almost imagine the "Midland Pullman" drifting out from beneath the overbridge.....

post-6880-0-93083200-1393021315.jpg

• Like 14

I've always thought that the south end of Leicester (London Road) station would make a good basis for a model. Busy spot with a good variety of traffic in a rather cramped location.

Apart from some of the signs on the station, the scene had changed little from steam days. One could almost imagine the "Midland Pullman" drifting out from beneath the overbridge.....

Yes I have been thinking the very same thing during the last few days. I do have a picture of the Midland Pullman drifting beneath the overbridge! Most of my trainspotting was at Leicester (London Road) in the 1959-1966 period. I travelled in by train from Narborough although I ocassionally cycled in on a Sunday to stand on the Birdcage and creep round the Engine Shed. My current layout (N Gauge) is still under development and is based on the Midland Line between Wigston & Market Harborough but as always I am already thinking about the next layout.

That is a fantastic photo, do you know the date it was taken?

David

• Like 1

The line between Melton and Saxby was very busy in steam days. Heavy freight from Toton to Brent, expresses from London to Nottingham, Leeds, Bradford and Scotland. Plus the holiday rush over the MGN to Cromer and Yarmouth.

But in 1974 those glory days were over. Here at Brentingby Junction we find 6E56 (there were still headcodes then) heading towards Melton behind 47182. These were empty oil tanks returning to Immingham from the Langley terminal near Heathrow.

The signalman is obviously on the ball, as he's already returned the down home to main signal to danger.

post-6880-0-36240300-1393112110.jpg

• Like 2