East Midlands Miscellany

• RMweb Gold

I always seemed to get the camera out when it snowed. There was that certain quietness when everything seemed at peace.

Anyway, here at Swarkestone, south of Derby, we find a Cl.56 heading a westbound coal train.   

Great shot, was it taken from the road bridge next to the canal bridge and that building, could it be the lock keepers house certainly looks familiar but could be a bit close for that.

Quite correct.Diagrammed for a Longsight (9A) Class 40....usually,so due to reliability issues the Jubilees referred to would have put in the odd appearance.Thus,On 29/04/1961,I record D222(9A) on the working at St.Pancras,working alongside Jubilees,Scots and newly constructed Peaks.

Thats interesting, we only saw steam on these workings nearly always Jublees but on one occasion 70048 headed the train, our visits were confined to the weekends, we were fishing for Bream in the nearby Trent and Mersey Canal, the time is right but I don't recall seeing diesels Ian..........would have been miffed if we had!! :mad:

Rgds....Mike

post-6880-0-07630200-1391887446.jpg

An example of lever economy with respect to the FPL's utilizing the fact that you can not make a facing move over both sets of switches at the same time.

Anyway here are a few more from my collection

31259 – http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/6605394985/

44422 – http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/10201901726/

44422 – http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/11201675763/

No, it wouldn't be very easy to make a facing move over both sets of switches at the same time would it?. That would mean going in two opposite directions at the same time :nono:

Regarding the Manchester-Stoke-St Pancras trains in the early 1960s there was on train which was 14:13 off Derby's Platform 1 to St Pancras (via Chad' Sidings) which was a regular Britannia job.

• RMweb Gold

Great shot, was it taken from the road bridge next to the canal bridge and that building, could it be the lock keepers house certainly looks familiar but could be a bit close for that.

Sorry....silly questionre the building it's on the wrong side of the railway, just checked Google maps I'm way out, something to do with trying to remember events of almost 60 years ago :blush:

Love the thread

Rgds....Mike

Edited by ikks

There's certainly something about semaphore signals that makes them so visually attractive. I think it's the contrast between the horizontal (ie the track) and the vertical (signals and telegraph posts) thay strikes a chord.

Here we are again at Knighton South Junction looking north; the mainlines are on the left, the goods lines to the right.

Again, permission was obtained to take this photo.

post-6880-0-33632000-1392223144.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

25035 rocks and rolls over the junction at Glendon North,13:25 4 March 1975.

post-224-0-38484900-1392333891_thumb.jpg

No rocking and rolling now just plain track. 43047 heads 1B33, 10:32 Nottingham to St Pancras International past the site of Glendon North Junction.

post-224-0-49634000-1392334105_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

45049 (9T27) heads for Corby past the exchange sidings at Barford Hill, Storefield, just north of Kettering, 09:45 30/4/75. There is nothing left there now save the single line to Corby although it has been reported this week that Network Rail are to enter into consultation regarding the re-doubling of the line to Corby from Kettering to increase capacity for both freight and passenger traffic.

post-224-0-50434700-1392335319_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

There's certainly something about semaphore signals that makes them so visually attractive. I think it's the contrast between the horizontal (ie the track) and the vertical (signals and telegraph posts) thay strikes a chord.

They always look whether the track is in sight or not, one of my earliest railway memories are the signals guarding the exit from the GNs LeenValley Extension at Leen Valley Junction with the, presumably very rusty, track out of sight at the bottom of the cutting. It. makes a nice lunchtime just to hear the clunk of the local outer home to know whatever problems are rail network is in there are still some good features.

45049 (9T27) heads for Corby past the exchange sidings at Barford Hill, Storefield, just north of Kettering, 09:45 30/4/75. There is nothing left there now save the single line to Corby although it has been reported this week that Network Rail are to enter into consultation regarding the re-doubling of the line to Corby from Kettering to increase capacity for both freight and passenger traffic.

attachicon.gif45049 9T27 Storefield 09 45 30:4:75.jpg

Wonderful pics from my old haunts, many a Summer afternoon was spent leaning on the fence shown in the pic with the two cars, opposite Glendon Nth box, after biking from Corby.

I'd BR pretty certain though that this pic is Glendon Sidings rather than Storefield. The picture was taken from The main A6003, just North of Storefield Cottages, the road in the foreground is Station Rd from Storefield to Rushton, the road sign being the giveway sign where it joins the main road. Glendon East box would be just off the shot to the right.

9T27 was the Glendon trip for ore from Glendon to Lloyd's Sidings from where BSC Minerals class 14s would trip them to the ore crushers. I seem to think the empties worked back from Corby Sidings. 9T26 also would have worked this way from the stump of the Kettering - Huntingdon line to Twywell but that was a type 2 turn, possibly type 4s were barred from the branch.

Storefield closed in the late sixties and would have been of shot to the left of this picture, the remains of the level crossing there have only recently been removed by work on the new A43 link.

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful pics from my old haunts, many a Summer afternoon was spent leaning on the fence shown in the pic with the two cars, opposite Glendon Nth box, after biking from Corby.

I'd BR pretty certain though that this pic is Glendon Sidings rather than Storefield. The picture was taken from The main A6003, just North of Storefield Cottages, the road in the foreground is Station Rd from Storefield to Rushton, the road sign being the giveway sign where it joins the main road. Glendon East box would be just off the shot to the right.

9T27 was the Glendon trip for ore from Glendon to Lloyd's Sidings from where BSC Minerals class 14s would trip them to the ore crushers. I seem to think the empties worked back from Corby Sidings. 9T26 also would have worked this way from the stump of the Kettering - Huntingdon line to Twywell but that was a type 2 turn, possibly type 4s were barred from the branch.

Storefield closed in the late sixties and would have been of shot to the left of this picture, the remains of the level crossing there have only recently been removed by work on the new A43 link.

Thanks for the detailed information Rangers. I tend to refer to the area as Barford Hill as that was the name of the substation where EMEB supplied BSC with power for the electric draglines and which stood in the field below the sidings with access from th A6003. I worked for EMEB. You are correct that the picture was taken from the Station Road junction with the A6003 and Storefield cottages away to the left.

Geoff