East Midlands Miscellany

Getting closer Bren, though this line was pure MR - was associated with an earlier plateway.

Well that makes me think of the Ticknall Tramway which as we all know is in Derbyshire, but Worthington Cloud Hill or

Lount are of course in Leicestershire, and it's a cycle track. So I shall opt for the former as the Cloud Trail finishes there.

Bren

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photo of Sir Nigel on Five Arches, I spent an awful lot of time there in the late fifties and early sixties.

Rgds...Mike

Going back to Spring 1990 finds us near Barrow upon Trent on the Stenson - Sheet Stores line. This is one of my favourite stretches of railway and here we find 20186 + 20103 returning to Toton Yard with empty HAAs. The train had earlier worked up the Denby branch, then taken a full coal train to Willington Power Station. Hence the brake vans at each end of the rake for the guard/trainmen to open/close the level crossing gates between Little Eaton and Denby.

post-6880-0-23603100-1391461976.jpg

• Like 8

Leicester is often ignored in comparison to the railway delights of Derby and Nottingham. But prior to the mid 1980s resignalling, it provided a semaphore oasis surrounded by power boxes.

Things change rapidly nowadays though; Leicester Power Box has come and gone since this photo was taken at the north end of Leicester station.

post-6880-0-72610600-1391871080.jpg

• Like 8

Knighton South Junction looking north towards Leicester. The line diverging to the left leads to Coalville and Burton. This photo was taken with permission and under the eye of the signalman. If it had not been, I wouldn't be standing on the Down Main with my back towards oncoming traffic.

post-6880-0-07630200-1391887446.jpg

Edited by Western Sunset
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

In the early 1960s, due to electrification works on the WCML, there was a daily St Pancras - Manchester (and return) service routed this way. This might've been the one you mentioned.

The 1.55pm St Pancras - Manchester Piccadilly (via Stoke) would've passed Chellaston Jn around 4.30pm. The 12.10pm Manchester Piccadilly - St Pancras (via Stoke) would've passed around 2pm.

The 4Fs you mention passing through Chellaston itself would most likely have been working coal trains from New Lount Colliery to Chaddesden Sidings, or perhaps stone from Worthington.

Quite correct.Diagrammed for a Longsight (9A) Class 40....usually,so due to reliability issues the Jubilees referred to would have put in the odd appearance.Thus,On 29/04/1961,I record D222(9A) on the working at St.Pancras,working alongside Jubilees,Scots and newly constructed Peaks.

post-6880-0-07630200-1391887446.jpg

An example of lever economy with respect to the FPL's utilizing the fact that you can not make a facing move over both sets of switches at the same time.

Anyway here are a few more from my collection

31259 – http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/6605394985/

44422 – http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/10201901726/

44422 – http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/11201675763/