Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

65312 is the only steam braked example I can fine with the lozenge tender slots - but unfortunately it was scrapped waaay before late crest days.

Only about three steam-only braked examples appear to have survived into late crest days (just - with the exception of 63809 which lasted until the very end of steam in East Anglia) but they all appear to have 'D' slots.

Thanks Don, and Paul for your input, much appreciated. I did the tender swap on 65445 at the weekend so she is sorted. Don, I may not have made myself clear. A tender logo and loco number change are the lesser of any evil I'll have to do on 65356, whilst wrestling with the tender connection I noticed she already carries a Cambridge shedplate, saves me a job!

So the question is, is there a 1959, 31A allocated J15, without wheel weights, coupled to a "lozenge" tender? Phew!

I perused the research library at the weekend and one of Dr Allen's plates at Mark's Tey shows two of them, the left hand one is obviously vac brake fitted, but as far as I can tell, no wheel balance weights. What gives?

C6T.

Classsix - The short answer is 'no'. Sorry, there just isn't.

The steam brake only versions (without pumps or wheel weights) had all long gone by 1959, apart from a couple which were never shedded at 31A (and those had 'D' holes in the tenders anyway, not lozenge shape).

I'm still undecided on which one to buy as I model late LNER 1930s period.

The LNER one with its existing number  was scrapped in 1934 and has steam brake only, mixed traffic duties are required.

The early crest version has vacuum brake.  

The later crest has both vacuum and Westinghouse brake.

I haven't actually seen these models in the "flesh" , so the above is what I have gleaned from all your comments and photos/youtube etc.

To get the result I want, (re-branding/numbering required with all three), I think the late crest fits the bill. Anyone who has that version, can you tell me if the the smokebox door number plate is a separate add on or is it moulded with the door? Changing the identity is not a problem, but removing a moulded on number plate (if it is) is quite tricky and would need very careful work. It's a bit early yet to get a spare smokebox door from the LNER model. So comments and advice please.

Tod

• Like 1

Now I'm beginning to doubt which version I want.  I have a late crest on order from Hattons, but it's still out of stock.

I'm doing a fictitious minor Norfolk branch ca. 1960ish where the J15 will be used only for goods - passenger traffic is handled by a W&M railbus and the occasional Derby lightweight.

Would I do better with a vac braked early crest version and change the crest (and number, probably) or should I stick with the late crest which is air braked?

I'm still undecided on which one to buy as I model late LNER 1930s period.

The LNER one with its existing number  was scrapped in 1934 and has steam brake only, mixed traffic duties are required.

The early crest version has vacuum brake.  

The later crest has both vacuum and Westinghouse brake.

I haven't actually seen these models in the "flesh" , so the above is what I have gleaned from all your comments and photos/youtube etc.

To get the result I want, (re-branding/numbering required with all three), I think the late crest fits the bill. Anyone who has that version, can you tell me if the the smokebox door number plate is a separate add on or is it moulded with the door? Changing the identity is not a problem, but removing a moulded on number plate (if it is) is quite tricky and would need very careful work. It's a bit early yet to get a spare smokebox door from the LNER model. So comments and advice please.

Tod

I'm pretty sure the numberplate is moulded on - it is beautifully cleanly done.

Oh, what the hey - I put an early crest on order, too. I just sent an email to HMRS asking about transfer sales to the U.S.

...you know it makes sense...! They are lovely little things, and I think you won't regret.

Had a good look at mine today and bar for the join on the boiler, it is pretty well perfect. The Wessy pump is exquisite, I was thinking it might be easier to get an early one and just add this but it'll be an easier task to change the tender creat to an early one. Likely as not I'll have an early one as well. Just need a layout to run them on, not easy for a GN man to be seen meddling with the GE though.

• Like 1

Had a good look at mine today and bar for the join on the boiler, it is pretty well perfect. The Wessy pump is exquisite, I was thinking it might be easier to get an early one and just add this but it'll be an easier task to change the tender creat to an early one. Likely as not I'll have an early one as well. Just need a layout to run them on, not easy for a GN man to be seen meddling with the GE though.

Would suggest a 6 feet by 18 inch shunting plank - Benwick goods!

Edited by 90rob

Would suggest a 6 feet by 18 inch shunting plank - Benwick goods!

Hmmm....it would do the trick, I've a J17 and a Buck' already but what would I do with the two B17s, two B1s, C12, DRB, Derby lightweight and several Cravens?

Hmmm....it would do the trick, I've a J17 and a Buck' already but what would I do with the two B17s, two B1s, C12, DRB, Derby lightweight and several Cravens?

Ummm....you may need something a little bigger...!

• RMweb Premium

Oh, what the hey - I put an early crest on order, too. I just sent an email to HMRS asking about transfer sales to the U.S.

Hi Heavy Duty, I get my HMRS transfers and other supplies from Model railway imports. They are near Niagara just the other side of the border from Buffalo.

LNER J15 just arrived. :locomotive:

Now - how to personalise it?

When I became conscious of them they shunted the goods yards along our Stratford/Epping/Ongar branch in the last years of WWII

By then as, Reginald Gardner put it in Talking about Trains,  "long funnelled and tiresome*" they looked far from pristine.

And what number is 7524 - pre or post renumbering?

I ask because I retired disgusted with engine spotting on Stratford station after all the others laughed at me - because I hadn't known about the re-numbering and waited for the new Ian Allan book to come out.  :dontknow:

So would the ones I saw (and occasionally was given rides on) have been simply NE or extremely dirty LNER, and if with an old (Stratford ) number, what might it have been please?

dh

*referred to on the You tube link at about 4.10 mins

• RMweb Premium

LNER J15 just arrived. :locomotive:

And what number is 7524 - pre or post renumbering?

I think you will find it is just the GE number with 7000 added in 1924 before there was a general renumbering on the LNER in 1946

7524 was scrapped in March 1936 and obviously never got renumbered in 1946

Preserved 65462 was originally GER 564, LNER 7564, LNER 5462, then BR 65462

Keith

Edited by melmerby

7524 was scrapped in March 1936 and obviously never got renumbered in 1946

Preserved 65462 was originally GER 564, LNER 7564, LNER 5462, then BR 65462

Keith

Thank you Keith, that was most helpful.

I am minded to renumber to 75450 (with the help of a IA 1950s Locoshed allocation book and a 1961 combined vol.) then heavily weather and roughen up the little darling.

Would the famous Dick Hardy have been shedmaster at Stratford in 1946?

dh

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Keith, that was most helpful.

I am minded to renumber to 75450 (with the help of a IA 1950s Locoshed allocation book and a 1961 combined vol.) then heavily weather and roughen up the little darling.

Would the famous Dick Hardy have been shedmaster at Stratford in 1946?

dh

I find this site useful:

http://www.brdatabase.info/

e.g. their entry for the preserved J15:

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=601206&loco=65462

Keith

I find this site useful: Keith

Thanks once again! Agreed - its a real 'time waster' :senile:

A wee bit perturbed :O

After closer inspection - and thinking about it - I rather hoped it might have a stovepipe chimbley. I'm sure I remember some with stovepipes mooching about the old Temple Mills deserts of sidings (my auntie Freda's dad as a Stratford driver used to have to go for shunting puzzle exams)

dh

• RMweb Gold

Just been applying a few tweaks to a friend's early BR J15.

I found two minor problems: One of the tender buffers had come adrift in the box so it's worth checking they are secure.

Only other problem is that the loco-tender coupling chafes against the wires on the short setting. Looks like it would probably cause trouble in the long term so I've left it in the long position until I can make a custom link. 

It is now trundling away merrily (and almost silently)  on my rolling road.

What a little gem. If my 700s turn out to be as good when they eventually turn up, I'll be well pleased. 

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just been applying a few tweaks to a friend's early BR J15.

I found two minor problems: One of the tender buffers had come adrift in the box so it's worth checking they are secure.

Only other problem is that the loco-tender coupling chafes against the wires on the short setting. Looks like it would probably cause trouble in the long term so I've left it in the long position until I can make a custom link. 

It is now trundling away merrily (and almost silently)  on my rolling road.

What a little gem. If my 700s turn out to be as good when they eventually turn up, I'll be well pleased. 

John

Hi John, re. drawbar on the short setting, see posts 284 and 344 for solutions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, re. drawbar on the short setting, see posts 284 and 344 for solutions.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't spotted the potential issue with the tender handbrake standard.

I have measured it up again and (bearing my mate's layout in mind) I think a new link about 1mm longer than the short setting will be the ideal solution for me.

Just found a suitable bit of nickel silver strip so that'll be a job for the next wet morning! 

Regards

John

Thanks for the info. I hadn't spotted the potential issue with the tender handbrake standard.

I have measured it up again and (bearing my mate's layout in mind) I think a new link about 1mm longer than the short setting will be the ideal solution for me.

Just found a suitable bit of nickel silver strip so that'll be a job for the next wet morning! 

Regards

John

I cut a new one from black plastic. This has the bonus of being flexible so you have a bit more room when adding the crew or doing any changes to the cab interior.

Bernard