The next foray into NA Railroads

Robatron86

• 2 weeks later...

For added interest there would be some serious ventilating machinery on the roof to vent out the diesel fumes of idling engines in the buildings.  Lots of oppportunity for palletized parts next to the building, lots of safety signage.  There will be large conduits into the building for electrical drops , gas and water lines.  Engines being worked on would have blue flags on them.  Take a piece of brass wire and make a "square" hook in it that will hook over the cab window sill (like an upside down J) and solder/glue a piece of roughly 1x4 material so it sticks into the cab and about a foot out of the cab.  Paint the whole thing blue, then just hang them on the ca windows of the units being worked on.  In a pinch you could take a piece of wire and wrap a thin strip of mailing label around it to make the outside flag and paint it all blue.  Quick and easy shop detail.  If your cab windows are closed/glazed, make on that hangs on the front hand rail in front of the cab.  the long part of the J should be long enough that a person standing on the ground can easily reach up and hang it on the window/railing (so about 6-7 ft long).

Dave - yes I noted that in my research, but I was so taken with that colour scheme that I chose that instead. A bit of modeller's license.

Daniel - Thanks mate :). The hard standing is part of the Walthers refuelling kit, just modified.

The HVAC and electrical detailing is next after the paintwork has finished. AC units, de strat fans, vents, roller shutters, powerboards, water and drainage pipework. Thanks for the information about the flags. It's a nice touch that i will be adding.

Archived