Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dad's locos flooded

Hi

My dad's house was flooded on Xmas eve and a lot of his locos and stock was standing in water for a good few hours.

While I am up to the task of cleaning and repair for his hand built, kit and preparatory stuff what I can't find at a fair cost is replacement card boxes!

Dad's been so distressed so any help with options etc would be most kind.

I have attached a guide as to what's needed.

boxes.pdf

`Hello Mike,

That's devastating for your father. I am not able to help personally but Chris Yates  @ TMC uses such boxes for his special TMC locomotives and should be able to point you in the direction of his supplier. This may be an expensive option, but you do not mention if an Insurance Claim is being made.

Just a suggestion that may be useful.

Regards, Derek.

Hi all

Many thnaks for the suggestions, yes its been a terrible time, we lost mum in 2010 and all her stuff was stored in one room, and was also flooded out :(

The Cheltenham ones look just right but a bit too expensive.

I am waiting for the other chap on ebay to reply to me.

It will be a claim but I have to buy up front and then dad gets paid out later so I'd prefer a cost effecive way if at all possible.

Dad has a lovely collection and I hope getting them all running will give him something to look forward to :)

Did a short video of a couple of them yesterday.

I am sure we can sort the boxes :) thanks eveyone

I did start making some boxes myself from card and duct tape (to hold them together and give a protective finish), but it is rather a hassle and I've stalled after doing a couple.

Gift boxes (around 50p - £1 in the sales) are unfortunately either the wrong shape or too small.

As crazy is it might seem wash all the locos and stock in distilled water fully immerse then in it for 24 hours This wash out any corrosive elements in the dirty water that the locos and stock were subjected to. Let them fully dry and then re - lubricate them.

I was a Service Manager at a computer company and we had a customer who was a diver who dropped his computer in the sea recovered did the above and it worked after this without any problems. Note the computer did have a solid state disk drive.

I think this is your best chance of recovering hopefully many of the locomotives and good luck

Nigel

I've used the fold up eBay boxes and although not as good as the ready made ones, they do the job and with a little packing to keep the contents cushioned, they'd do the job. I used duct tape on the corners which helped keep them rigid. You could go a bit further and wrap the outsides in tape or sticky back plastic if you wanted something a bit more substantial.

On another track, box files with dividers are good for rakes of wagons or coaches.

Hi everyone, just to say thanks again for not only the advice but the lovely support at this hard time!

I have now sourced some boxes, that with a little packing will do the job.

I followed advice and purchased some from ebay (the white ones in two sizes)

I'll keep you informed of progress, but so far it seems I have one small Portescape motor in trouble, no idea how these work to be able to try repair and can't seem to find them in model shops anymore?

Is there an alternative? 

I'll keep you informed of progress, but so far it seems I have one small Portescape motor in trouble, no idea how these work to be able to try repair and can't seem to find them in model shops anymore?

Is there an alternative? 

The only real source of Portscaps is the silly price section on eBay.

If these were the ones I suggested - what are they like for quality please?

They are OK I guess, when you slide the lid down over the box it makes quite a firm case.

There are the ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100x-MEDIUM-WHITE-REPLACEMENT-CARD-STOCK-BOXES-TANK-LOCO-SIZED-COACH-OO-HO-/400383143508?hash=item5d38b1ee54

The chap is called Doug and very helpful, he sent me a sample to try first upon request.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting video, shows how bullet proof the old motor bogies were

Thanks very much, yes they are a class bit of engineering!

The one weakness as far as I am concerned is the axle bearings as shown in the video, once worn the wheels rock and contact is lost.

But happily keeping them well oiled seems to help.

1498 was assembled back in 1978 and had a fair bit of running in her time, that's 36 years and even a flood can't hold her down :)

Hi everyone, hope you have a good weekend.

Here are some photos of the latest batch to go in for clean and repairs!

P1000689a_zpsae325677.jpg

This this is an E1??? and a 700 in the back ground.

P1000690a_zps3d110dc3.jpg

I am hopeful with the Terriers, they seem quite clean, they were however very wet when rescued.

P1000691a_zps2a837824.jpg

These old six wheel coaches are lovely but seem to have suffered badly

Archived