A visit to St Ives

• RMweb Gold

As my daughter has donated her DLSR camera to me, because she's bought a new one, we went for an  family afternoon mooch around St Ives. 

These are some of the photos of buildings I took, with a view to modelling all or part of them.

The Grey Mullet B & B

post-7025-0-98721500-1390162246_thumb.jpg

This stone fronted house has a typically less ornate side wall, plus a brick chimney. Built on a hill, note the partially underground rooms, steps and simple bannisters and a large growth of ivy.

The Primitive Methodist Church

post-7025-0-77724700-1390162254_thumb.jpg

A very plain fronted building, with a large arch over the double door. Note agin the rough side wall.

A small courtyard.

post-7025-0-27371500-1390162260_thumb.jpg

With the typical St Ives style of vertically hung slates, the rest of walls here are simply painted white. The two small cottages above the workshop have split stable doors and very few fireplaces, judging by the number of chimneys.

All pictures are available in a large size if required.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A small restaurant doorway

post-7025-0-98752000-1390163879_thumb.jpg

Traditional black based, white painted walls, with lots of pot plants on the stairs and lots of signs everywhere.

A corner building

post-7025-0-07723800-1390163886_thumb.jpg

A wide variety of wall styles. Note the stepped chimney, the large slates on the right hand building and the smaller sltes around the small extension. The roof is covered in a yellow-green moss, quite common in the town.

Leddra's Chemist

post-7025-0-72021900-1390163891_thumb.jpg

Despite the modernisation of many shops, this one has retained the ornate windows and decrative floor mosaics.

The Castle Inn

post-7025-0-87555800-1390163900_thumb.jpg

Another building which still looks like it did many years ago, with a complete front of leaded glass panes.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Three shots of the same building.  What caught my eye was the glass sides to the dormer windows. and the various holes/vents in the wall.

post-7025-0-03615200-1390165604_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-62533200-1390165607_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-55709800-1390165611_thumb.jpg

Another little shop.

post-7025-0-11609400-1390165800_thumb.jpg

Simple arched windows surmounted by smaller square panes.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Steps - One a long flight, one only short, but both showing signs of age and tinged with greenery.

post-7025-0-90911800-1390166612_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-03822000-1390166735_thumb.jpg

A more modern, light pebbledash finish, with  very neat black frames around the windows and defining the wall edges and floors.

post-7025-0-27492000-1390166617_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It is a lovely place. If I was a GWR modeller, I would be highly tempted to model St Ives as it was maybe 100 years ago.

The overall scene of the station nestling along the shore, with some of those lovely building behind would make a brilliant scenic model and the operation of what is really a minor terminus (although with a long platform!) was considerably more interesting than a lot of other branch lines. The locos were quite interesting too, before the Prairie tanks pretty much monopolised the service.

Has anybody ever done St Ives as a model?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

It is a lovely place. If I was a GWR modeller, I would be highly tempted to model St Ives as it was maybe 100 years ago.

The overall scene of the station nestling along the shore, with some of those lovely building behind would make a brilliant scenic model and the operation of what is really a minor terminus (although with a long platform!) was considerably more interesting than a lot of other branch lines. The locos were quite interesting too, before the Prairie tanks pretty much monopolised the service.

Tony

Fully agree Tony, I used to live just up the road from St Ives and know it well.

There is a very nice model of St Ives which is slowly evolving in 2mm Finescale which has contributions from a number of highly skilled modellers which promises to be stunning. I shall say no more as I'm not sure how public they have gone with the project yet.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I've never considered modelling St Ives station. As you say it's an ideal location for a layout; the beach at the front, the hill behind and the rock arch as a scenic break.

Hmm, maybe I need to investigate a bit more...

Tony

Yes, back in the 1960s. It ended up - in a very derelict state at the Egham club's premises. Though the station layout and buildings were 'accurate' I raised the height to make the viaduct more impressive and I drastically alterred the beach area to give more interest at the front. The goods shed is missing in this shot.

Did I not see a Gauge 1 model of St. Ives at the Warley show last year?

CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-0-69781600-1390170410.jpg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Castle Inn pub is one of our favourites in St Ives and always visit the place when in town.

There are some great modellable buildings in St Ives especially the pub on the harbour front. Thats where I had my pasty nicked by a Seagull a few years back!!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A small restaurant doorway

attachicon.gifIMGP1686.jpg

Traditional black based, white painted walls, with lots of pot plants on the stairs and lots of signs everywhere.

A corner building

attachicon.gifIMGP1696.jpg

A wide variety of wall styles. Note the stepped chimney, the large slates on the right hand building and the smaller sltes around the small extension. The roof is covered in a yellow-green moss, quite common in the town.

Leddra's Chemist

attachicon.gifIMGP1698.jpg

Despite the modernisation of many shops, this one has retained the ornate windows and decrative floor mosaics.

The Castle Inn

attachicon.gifIMGP1700.jpg

Another building which still looks like it did many years ago, with a complete front of leaded glass panes.

I love the chemist's - apart from the window displays the photo could have been taken at any time in the last 60 years - and it looks as though it still has a traditional canvas awning as well. It's started me on a nostalgic train of thought beginning with Leddra's, then Rodda's clotted cream, Kelly's or Martin's ice cream, pasties for lunch at Portholland, surfing with a plywood body board at Trevone, fishing from the harbour wall at Charlestown, paddling a wooden float at Polkerris...

Wonderful.

• RMweb Premium

Fully agree Tony, I used to live just up the road from St Ives and know it well.

There is a very nice model of St Ives which is slowly evolving in 2mm Finescale which has contributions from a number of highly skilled modellers which promises to be stunning. I shall say no more as I'm not sure how public they have gone with the project yet.

Jerry

It is probably a scene that would work very nicely in 2mm. Plenty of room for the surroundings without compression.

I was at Warley, although I was on duty behind a layout and didn't get to see much. But St Ives in Gauge 3 sounds very impressive, especially if done to scale.

It was the GWJ special that set me off daydreaming, plus a couple of visits to St Ives many years ago. That seagull was dive bombing in 1979!

Tony

Tony

As my daughter has donated her DLSR camera to me, because she's bought a new one, we went for an  family afternoon mooch around St Ives. 

These are some of the photos of buildings I took, with a view to modelling all or part of them.

The Grey Mullet B & B

attachicon.gifIMGP1712.jpg

This stone fronted house has a typically less ornate side wall, plus a brick chimney. Built on a hill, note the partially underground rooms, steps and simple bannisters and a large growth of ivy.

The Primitive Methodist Church

attachicon.gifIMGP1713.jpg

A very plain fronted building, with a large arch over the double door. Note agin the rough side wall.

A small courtyard.

attachicon.gifIMGP1727.jpg

With the typical St Ives style of vertically hung slates, the rest of walls here are simply painted white. The two small cottages above the workshop have split stable doors and very few fireplaces, judging by the number of chimneys.

All pictures are available in a large size if required.

Ah! a church for Primitives. On my usual time waiting outside shops for TBH, I find myself looking up a building frontage's, it's interesting how many town buildings have dates on.

A nice collection of photos there Stubby47. St Ives and the surrounding area is a superb area for inspiration for buildings to tackle. I took more photos of buildings on our holiday down there last August than I did of the family! So many lovely cottages and quaint shops that are just begging to be captured in miniature.

I just wish St Ives had a more impressive station really. Would be great to model a coastal branch line like the one from Lelant into St.Ives, but Malkoff station is a bit of a let down really imo.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Whilst wandering around St Ives last Friday ( I know, who would go to St Ives on a bank holiday weekend, when the sun is scorching....) I noticed this corner of a building (mainly cos we we sat in the cafe opposite).

st_ives_chopped_corner.png.697e38d658e227cafdc49558df177870.png

It got me thinking, how old was the chopped section and the large stones at the base?  Obviously they are to help vehicles get around, and to protect the building from any potential damage, but were they original, from the horse & cart days, or later addition with the advent of motorised transport ?

A quick search of Mevagissey streets turned up this:  

mevagissey_chopped_corner.PNG.7bcf2d9066cf5cc2e0175ec5fbe609fd.PNG

which is a similar adjustment to the building, although this does look original.

Any information or theories gratefully received.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Stubby47 changed the title to A visit to St Ives
On 03/09/2021 at 08:54, Stubby47 said:

Whilst wandering around St Ives last Friday ( I know, who would go to St Ives on a bank holiday weekend, when the sun is scorching....) I noticed this corner of a building (mainly cos we we sat in the cafe opposite).

st_ives_chopped_corner.png.697e38d658e227cafdc49558df177870.png

It got me thinking, how old was the chopped section and the large stones at the base?  Obviously they are to help vehicles get around, and to protect the building from any potential damage, but were they original, from the horse & cart days, or later addition with the advent of motorised transport ?

A quick search of Mevagissey streets turned up this:  

mevagissey_chopped_corner.PNG.7bcf2d9066cf5cc2e0175ec5fbe609fd.PNG

which is a similar adjustment to the building, although this does look original.

Any information or theories gratefully received.

The big stones at the base are from the time of carts, typically they would stop the wheel before the axel hub hit the wall breaking the axel. As for when the walls had their corners removed, I can't tell you if they were built like that or if the detail was added later after repeated incidents. My gut feeling is they were built like that, just to give a little extra clearance on sharp corners and that maybe the stones at the base were added because even that clearance was not enough, the only way to tell is to examine the stonework and see if there is evidence of the corners being rebuilt.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As an alternative some buildings cut off the corner and put a door there, or they might round off the corner, you tend to find such corners where two narrow but busy streets meet, less likely where say a back street meets a main street, quite a lot of these type of corners and similar in Penzance as well at least in the older parts

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1