Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Going a bit off topic (but what's new?) - According to the Nicholas & Reeves "North Devon Line" book, the Lapford Ambrosia factory opened in 1928, closed in 1970 and mainly produced dried & tinned milk, milk puddings drinking chocolate, butter, clotted cream & condensed milk; also yeast extract(!) - so it was a creamery but no eggs. This is about the only online view I've found (behind the pile of logs), in 1986, long closed. The yard was used for fertilizer deliveries at that time (which I believe used the old dairy for storage) plus the timber & grain traffic visible. I think the Ambrosia factory is  bit more imposing than Seaton Junctions Express Dairy - but I'm biased 'cos it's my pet subject! :P

Agreed. SJ was a collection of sheds expanded out from and around the old Goods Shed. Hotch potch really but practical I suppose?

• RMweb Gold

***********warning************

I cannot be held responsible for any replies to this post. Is this as good as it gets?!!!!!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/meat-dausage-jam-doughnuts-crossed-5858424

I think so..........

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

It's not that sausage that we should be moaning about; see another ad next to the pics. It involves Asda I'm afraid,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If anyone is offended I can assure them it was not on the site of Seaton Junctionish Dairy.

Ar9e

I could understand something like pork sausage with apple sauce or Cumberland sausage with cranberry sauce, but some of those combinations are (how can I put this politely?) a little unusual.

• RMweb Premium

6412 arrived this morning. Fortunately SWMBO was still upstairs and so it has cunningly morphed into a Slimrails wagon kit that is sitting here on the kitchen table............"Oh was that what the posty brought then.....?"    

"Yes dearest. Nice isn't it?"

6412 remains secreted in the pile of modelling junk in the Conservatory workshop.

Pathetic isn't it!

Anyway, this is slightly relevant as the Kit on the table is a SR D1386 20T Mineral Wagon. I already have three made and they are superb kits. as mentioned before.

Ar8e

Another good reason for modelling the Western. As evry fule kno, all their engines look the same so Veronica can't tell when I get another one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

***********warning************

I cannot be held responsible for any replies to this post. Is this as good as it gets?!!!!!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/meat-dausage-jam-doughnuts-crossed-5858424

I think so..........

Rob.

This is officially an Abomination.

6412 arrived this morning. Fortunately SWMBO was still upstairs and so it has cunningly morphed into a Slimrails wagon kit that is sitting here on the kitchen table............"Oh was that what the posty brought then.....?"    

"Yes dearest. Nice isn't it?"

6412 remains secreted in the pile of modelling junk in the Conservatory workshop.

Pathetic isn't it!

Anyway, this is slightly relevant as the Kit on the table is a SR D1386 20T Mineral Wagon. I already have three made and they are superb kits. as mentioned before.

Ar8e

Just finished building one of the Slimrails SR 20T Mineral Wagons myself with a second sitting in the kit box, don't think I have yet built a nicer kit! Just wish there were even more SR wagons produced by them.

Stuart

• RMweb Gold

It's funny how most members on here have to resort to those tactics I was messing with Caerphilly Castle my birthday present from herself when she said "when did you buy that", pointing to Kinlet hall sitting next to the castle I said "I have had that one since Christmas it was a present from you", OH she squawked" that's a nice one I'm glad you like it how much did that cost",  "I've no idea as you bought it", she walked off looking perplexed, it was won on ebay 4 or more weeks ago death narrowly avoided for another day. :whistle:

One of the main advantages of loft layouts is the reduced likelihood of unwanted visits.

• Like 1

Diesels are even better, they all look the same so I am told. :imsohappy:

Bravely/foolishly/wisely (delete as applicable) I took my wife into the Hornby shop in Swindon, spying a two for one offer on coaches, I selected some ex-Lms blood/custards to add to my collection. My wife said "don't you already have some of those?" Fortunately the shop has a handy set of hawksworth coaches next to it. She thought they looked absolutely the same and was at a complete loss why I needed Midland region coaches in addition to western region and completely missed the differences I pointed out to her. She also thought a 56xx was a pannier this morning. I'm not wholly sure it is in my interest to educate her on the finer points...

You guys just don't get it!  Your ladies are smarter than you think and can read you like a book!  Just because they profess not to know one carriage from another, it doesn't mean to say they are not aware of what goes on seemingly behind their backs.  But when she buys a new dress, you don't even notice or comment when she mentions she's had it for ages!  The secret of my success(!) is to encourage the purchase of a new pair of shoes or whatever at the merest hint that she is thinking about it.  Go with her and help pick out the right pair; damn the expence and this way the likelihood of comment when you bring home a new toy is minimal or at least, "that's nice dear".  Repeat this a few time a year and all this subterfuge will not be necessary. :onthequiet:

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My wifey has given up me and my railway purchases, as long as there is enough money for the stable fees, the hay, the straw, the feed, the farrier, the vet, the new saddle, the new bridle, the new riding boots, the latest fashionable top to wear at the stable.......and she thinks I don't notice. :read:

• RMweb Gold

A Bachmann D8XX entered the house today totally unobserved.  However Mrs Stationmaster handles the online banking so will see the fact that I purchased something from KMRC (again) - but if she says anything I shall draw her attention to the very reasonable price I paid which will show on my bank statement (without mentioning the other 50% of the purchase price which I paid in cash).  I understand from my 'local' modelshop that this is quite a common procedure when it comes to purchasing more expensive model railway items. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Re Swmbos 'noticing' things; fortunately they (mostly) can't recognise stuff as per above post 592. Fortunately I do some basic modelling work for some people (the odd, usually very odd, coach conversion and some Comet Coach soldering) and so I have the "Oh that's some stuff for .............. " ploy. Doesn't work though when a package the size of a bloomin' fridge turns up (contained just 4 Really Useful 10L Storage Boxes and a huge amount of plastic air pack). Got round that by explaining I wanted to tidy up lots of the M.R. stuff that has been left about the house. Phew. 

If I get an EBay purchase then I attempt to get the sender to wait until she is away; I encourage 'she is away' as often as I can. 5 BR vans should come in a couple of weeks as the sender read my plea! It works most of the time. 

Otherwise I think she just knows but doesn't care, as I buy her lovely things like Strimmers and pretend I enjoy doing vacuuming and stuff.

Anyway. Still no damn progress in the loft and I'm getting pi**ed off with lack of progress and still awaiting son's help!

P.

My ex-wife enjoyed decorating so one year I bought her a steam wallpaper stripper for Christmas. I think that's part of the reason she became my ex-wife.