RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

' Please forgive the noisy breathing and frequent loss of focus,

No worries, same thing happened to me after I saw the Doc's Xena post.

Do you think a sponge like that would be good for track cleaning?

Phil, I don't think that sponge can be looked upon as clean ever again

Is milk any good for track cleaning?  Perhaps we should ask on the Pecoboo thread as there are obviously lots of track experts there?

Stay away from the Peecaboo BS FH area, Will Robinson......Danger Danger

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of clickety-clack

This is a video I shot last year when 'track testing' Please forgive the noisy breathing and frequent loss of focus, but it does show what happens when you leave the slightest of gaps in fishplates 

TBH in the loft that's not a bad idea for expansion anyway

Sounds really good IMO. Problem is I really, really like 8Fs and can not find an excuse to run one through The Junction.................ummmmm.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

They look quite clever, do you just run them as is ? Or do you place a little bit of cleaning fluid of some description on them ?

Run as is or you can put fluid on them but it don't last long.

Sir T Maddox RT engineer rtd

Edit they do need the sh1te cleaned off from time to time.

Edited by 81C

Phil you may be interested in this quote from an article I read recently about the last days of Southern Steam...

"Perhaps the most surprising loco to be allocated in the dying days of Southern steam came after a diesel failed at Salisbury on a down fast to Exeter. The only engine available in steam, and capable of hauling a heavily packed train was an  ex LMS 8F simmering in the yard.

Having recently done the ton with 'Braunton', the driver decided to see just how fast an 8f really could go in a bid to make up lost time, but had to make do with 60mph.

Not bad for a 30 year old run down goods loco on five foot wheels!'

There you go - prototype for everything

• RMweb Gold

Phil you may be interested in this quote from an article I read recently about the last days of Southern Steam...

"Perhaps the most surprising loco to be allocated in the dying days of Southern steam came after a diesel failed at Salisbury on a down fast to Exeter. The only engine available in steam, and capable of hauling a heavily packed train was an  ex LMS 8F simmering in the yard.

Having recently done the ton with 'Braunton', the driver decided to see just how fast an 8f really could go in a bid to make up lost time, but had to make do with 60mph.

My late grandfather, who was a clerk in the Manchester Ship Canal offices, and who once drove the Flying Scotsman, told me that did happen, but only on a Sunday football special because the diesel had had sugar added to the fuel tank by the losing supporters, who were on the train trying to get back to Haverfordwest.

• RMweb Premium

Don't do that Phil! All you will get is a mush of white noise as every pair of wheels goes over every gap. Just cut one or two notches (rather than slits) at key places such as the entrance to the caterpillar or near the overbridge. That way you will hear each vehicle crossing the same notch, just as you would if you were standing at the lineside. As a bonus, there's a lot less effort involved.

Back on my thread in March this year you can hear the effect as trains cross my lifting flap in the video taken by RudderC of this parish:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94350-mid-cornwall-lines-1950s-western-region-in-00/page-31&do=findComment&comment=2661732

Edited to add link to post.

If I had trains crossing my lifting flap I'de be concerned...................................................................... :swoon:

• RMweb Premium

upload it to Youtube first, then link back to here by copying the url?

here's one I made earlier

Is that a shunting plank? Great DCC Sound though. Only one loco working?

Sir Nuttyslack de Coalsack

• RMweb Premium

I have just received my little trickery bits for my BUS Supressors/Terminators as mentioned on Brian lamberts excellent Web Site

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.html#On

Maybe I shall get some therapy this evening by soldering them up?

If you have never looked at Brian's site it is a gold mine of straightforward information and advice.

Phizzysmells

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

00:55......" Aesthetically, this is no way near as pleasing to the eye as the typical L&SWR barley twist lamp as seen across the South West.....,,"

• RMweb Premium

I got it from an article by the Bluebell's archivist Roger Kelly not sure f his provenance, but nothing would surprise me about those days

Are you sure you've got the right Roger? Archivist Roger Price had a long career on BR and would be well placed to know such things.

• RMweb Premium

I liked it! The anticipation of a train rounding the far curve and suddenly coming into view and disappearing exit left...

This immediately followed:

Brian.

Nothing to do with me and I don't like Cornsih girls that much anyway.......................................... :scared:

• RMweb Premium

00:55......" Aesthetically, this is no way near as pleasing to the eye as the typical L&SWR barley twist lamp as seen across the South West.....,,"

WTF is this bit dear heart? Is that what those Cornish Girls are talking about?

Bliddy maids b'aint got a bliddy clue so must be fram Saltash.

Ars£

• RMweb Premium

Um, I can't quite tell if one of my lower limbs is being extended with this tale! If it was after '64 then I can only use a feeble excuse like I will for having Blue Peter stall on Honiton Bank in '66. :sarcastichand:

Diverted weekday WR westbound freight might get one attached? :declare: 

Fun eh?

Phlop 

• RMweb Premium

Just a nite nite note. Didn't solder the Supressors as I CBA to come downstairs to get some clips or bluetak to hold the things whilst I soldered them together. So I did some more wiring instead. Looks like a bl##dy snake pit under the station boards. Such fun.

More tomorrow,

P

• Like 1

Are you sure you've got the right Roger? Archivist Roger Price had a long career on BR and would be well placed to know such things.

THAt damned Freud again - of course it's Roger Price, Roger Kelly is the name of one of my clients!

THAt damned Freud again - of course it's Roger Price, Roger Kelly is the name of one of my clients!

I met his smaller brother Alf Price

S.E.Nile

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry about it BWS I'm sure a senior moment has affected us all at one time or another.  :crazy:

Sir Oldage Penchener

Who :boast:  are you.......? 

Ph....i...?????????

I met his smaller brother Alf Price

S.E.Nile

and his little sister Asda price?

Ar$£

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you Southern loving gent's seen this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzSE0wx_HxA

Despite the sound effects, it's not running really, it's not closed off and there's no oil flying around -  but still quite interesting.

Regards OVSB

Good grief, what was it like at 90mph? Nice sound though and quite mesmerising in a weird sort of way.

Phil

Have you Southern loving gent's seen this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzSE0wx_HxA

Despite the sound effects, it's not running really, it's not closed off and there's no oil flying around -  but still quite interesting.

Regards OVSB

Not surprised they needed to be rebuilt - there's a blooming great hole in the bottom where the oil can fall out!

Will. I. Am (Stanier)

Edited by bigwordsmith