RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Swap you a City of Wells (I have two) for Exeter! I have no idea why I'm suggesting this as I was going to redo  the Wells versions as 34070 and/or one of the others that retained the Raved tender (e.g. 34072 or '78).

Philth

Does the 'real' Wells have the raved tender, Phil?  In early crest?  Both are essential for me being the picky old git I am!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I meant the 'real' Hornby one, sos!

That's Wells as she re-appeared after her long rebuild, named just Wells - rode behind her at the KWVR at the time where that photo was taken.  She's now City of Wells again (with red plates) and I last rode behind her at the NYMR last year - or was it the year before....age.....

• RMweb Gold

Aparrently they organised a formal rededication and invited the Bishop to do the honours. Between return to traffic and the official ceremony she carried the abbreviated name.

For anyone who might be waiting for the H class here's one on the Hornby stand at Peterborough today. Delivery November.

post-12721-0-84173100-1508002874_thumb.jpg

And Phil I know you are thinking cassette fiddleyard - hows this for inventive and cheap???? Yes its PVC guttering. Edit to say credit goes to the Kirkwood layout.

post-12721-0-07037300-1508002758_thumb.jpg

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 8

The Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers................hence my building topic Rough Engineering Made Easy

REME is 75 years old this month, I am very proud to have Arted and Marted

attachicon.gifTwist to Open.jpg

REME motto Arte et Marte twist to open in Latin and the instructions on the belt buckle.

I was a Royal Engineer. Our motto was ‘if at first you don’t succeed , try a bigger hammer!’

• Like 3

It ain't half hot Mum!

What a fantastic show that was, I remember it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y2WIOa7CEI

I used to roar with laughter as he was such a perfect depiction of my Staff Sargeant, aalthoung i think John MacArthur had his tongue pressed very firmly into his cheek when he pulled that routine on our new squaddies - much the same as when he sold me a very holey Austin Cambridge Estate when he completed his 22 and went into civvy Street

One of the most important lessons I learnt from Sandhurst was to always respect your NCOs, if they liked and respected you, life was good, if not...

• RMweb Premium

Aparrently they organised a formal rededication and invited the Bishop to do the honours. Between return to traffic and the official ceremony she carried the abbreviated name.

For anyone who might be waiting for the H class here's one on the Hornby stand at Peterborough today. Delivery November.

attachicon.gif2017-10-14_18.40.21.jpg

And Phil I know you are thinking cassette fiddleyard - hows this for inventive and cheap???? Yes its PVC guttering.

attachicon.gif20171014_133653.jpg

Now there is a clever idea.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I used to roar with laughter as he was such a perfect depiction of my Staff Sargeant, aalthoung i think John MacArthur had his tongue pressed very firmly into his cheek when he pulled that routine on our new squaddies - much the same as when he sold me a very holey Austin Cambridge Estate when he completed his 22 and went into civvy Street

One of the most important lessons I learnt from Sandhurst was to always respect your NCOs, if they liked and respected you, life was good, if not...

Officers make the decisions, sergeants make it happen. 

Some of the Ruperts we had posted to us found out the hard way if they wanted something to happen their sergeant had to be with them. I have seen an officer held against a 3 tonner as the sergeant major explained how to get the men motivated.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That there guttering looks 0 gauge, do B&Q do 00 guttering?

This course scale stuff is no good from these DIY sheds, get yourself along to yer local builders merchants and they'll sort you out with a decent bit of finescale guttering.

#P4Talk

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 3

Bulleid light pacific locomotives and tenders are a nightmare!! Without wishing to teach the 'duck', or anybody else, to suck eggs, may I offer the following?

http://www.bulleidsociety.org/OVS_Bulleid/OVSB_Light_Pacifics.html

The above table sets out the differences between the locomotives, principally those with an 8'6" cab 34001-34070, and those with a 9'0" cab, 34071-34110. The late, great Albert Goodall, the true Bulleid pacific guru, also sudivided the tenders into 'F' for the 4500 gallon 8'6" wide type, and 'G' for the 5500 gallon 9'0" wide type. Further subdivision gave 'HiF' and 'HiG' for those tenders in original condition with raves.

To summarise from the society table above, with relation to original/unrebuilt light pacifics as made by Hornby suitable for running in the late 1950s-early 1960s, i.e. around SOSJ time, then the following applies.

34092 is a 9'0" wide cab loco. fitted with a HiF 4500 gal tender with early crest. This is correct for the loco. until 11/1962 when it received a cut-down tender and late crest.

34078 ---- ditto--------              fitted with a HiG 5500 gal tender with a late crest. This is correct for the loco. until withdrawal, it was the only light pacific to retain a raved G tender until the end.

34072/4/5, not yet produced by Hornby had HiF 4500 gal tenders fitted as their original G 5500 gallon tenders were exchanged and cut down for use with rebuilds. These locos. carried these narrower raved tenders until witdrawal. They can be modelled using  34083 or 34078 attched to a Hornby 4500 HiF tender.

34091 and 34107 correctly have cut-down G 5500 gallon tenders. This was unusual as G tenders were normally passed on to rebuilds.

The gap in the Hornby range is the 9'0" original/unrebuilt locomotive with the cut-down 4500 gallon tender, these encompass some 'Squadrons' but also the West Countries from 34093 onwards, which had the scroll mounted higher up the cladding side, quite tricky to do from 34091/2/107 as the shields leave holes when removed.

34001 Exeter is an 8'6" wide cab locomotive with a HiF 4500 gallon tender with early crest. As has been pointed out, it was rebuilt fairly early on; however it does make an ideal donor for 34007 Wadebridge, as this loco. did not receive a cut-down tender and late logo until 12/1962.

Other Hornby offerings such as 34041 and 34043 quite correctly have the locomotives towing cut-down 4500 gallon F tenders.

As can be seen from the table, only 34069 'Hawkinge' of the 8'6" locos. finished it's career with an original HiF 4500 gallon tender, although others kept them quite late, notably 54,61 and 70. More importantly when renaming/renumbering locos, it is vital to make sure that 9'0" locos are renumbered in the 9'0" series and 8'6'' into their own series, there IS a difference!

All this of course does not address the AWS/speedo combinations, but these can be added/removed fairly easily. More importantly, the siting of the safety valves should always be to the rear, beware 34032 and 34042 as made by Hornby, valves in the early forward position!

I hope this proves useful to those on here with an interest in Bulleids, it comes from someone whose princpal modelling interest is the East Midlands, but has a strategic fleet to remind of holidays in the West!

cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Premium

Bulleid light pacific locomotives and tenders are a nightmare!! Without wishing to teach the 'duck', or anybody else, to suck eggs, may I offer the following?

http://www.bulleidsociety.org/OVS_Bulleid/OVSB_Light_Pacifics.html

The above table sets out the differences between the locomotives, principally those with an 8'6" cab 34001-34070, and those with a 9'0" cab, 34071-34110. The late, great Albert Goodall, the true Bulleid pacific guru, also sudivided the tenders into 'F' for the 4500 gallon 8'6" wide type, and 'G' for the 5500 gallon 9'0" wide type. Further subdivision gave 'HiF' and 'HiG' for those tenders in original condition with raves.

To summarise from the society table above, with relation to original/unrebuilt light pacifics as made by Hornby suitable for running in the late 1950s-early 1960s, i.e. around SOSJ time, then the following applies.

34092 is a 9'0" wide cab loco. fitted with a HiF 4500 gal tender with early crest. This is correct for the loco. until 11/1962 when it received a cut-down tender and late crest.

34078 ---- ditto--------              fitted with a HiG 5500 gal tender with a late crest. This is correct for the loco. until withdrawal, it was the only light pacific to retain a raved G tender until the end.

34072/4/5, not yet produced by Hornby had HiF 4500 gal tenders fitted as their original G 5500 gallon tenders were exchanged and cut down for use with rebuilds. These locos. carried these narrower raved tenders until witdrawal. They can be modelled using  34083 or 34078 attched to a Hornby 4500 HiF tender.

34091 and 34107 correctly have cut-down G 5500 gallon tenders. This was unusual as G tenders were normally passed on to rebuilds.

The gap in the Hornby range is the 9'0" original/unrebuilt locomotive with the cut-down 4500 gallon tender, these encompass some 'Squadrons' but also the West Countries from 34093 onwards, which had the scroll mounted higher up the cladding side, quite tricky to do from 34091/2/107 as the shields leave holes when removed.

34001 Exeter is an 8'6" wide cab locomotive with a HiF 4500 gallon tender with early crest. As has been pointed out, it was rebuilt fairly early on; however it does make an ideal donor for 34007 Wadebridge, as this loco. did not receive a cut-down tender and late logo until 12/1962.

Other Hornby offerings such as 34041 and 34043 quite correctly have the locomotives towing cut-down 4500 gallon F tenders.

As can be seen from the table, only 34069 'Hawkinge' of the 8'6" locos. finished it's career with an original HiF 4500 gallon tender, although others kept them quite late, notably 54,61 and 70. More importantly when renaming/renumbering locos, it is vital to make sure that 9'0" locos are renumbered in the 9'0" series and 8'6'' into their own series, there IS a difference!

All this of course does not address the AWS/speedo combinations, but these can be added/removed fairly easily. More importantly, the siting of the safety valves should always be to the rear, beware 34032 and 34042 as made by Hornby, valves in the early forward position!

I hope this proves useful to those on here with an interest in Bulleids, it comes from someone whose princpal modelling interest is the East Midlands, but has a strategic fleet to remind of holidays in the West!

cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Excellent info Peter and thank you. Helps me not have to translate too many combinations even though Spams has made notes about this very thing for when he ran Treneglos.

Philcowilco

• RMweb Premium

Well Clive if you insist on the workers controlling the means of production, nobody will have guttering at all. The free market profit motive will guarantee the elite can have their gutters.

M. Thatcher

:)

Comrade Penfold

You and your free market. With the outsourcing of guttering manufacture to the Peoples's Republic there is no guttering factory for the workers to control production.

Mind have you see what those cleaver Chinese can do really good quality and the price well I can't believe it.

• RMweb Premium

Well I think it's a splendid ideawl, as you know I'm more of a hard left middle of the road (wannabe) modeller and think I shall certainly look into finescale on the outside and course but not so course scale on the inside.

Gutterings that is.

And in red of course.

T. Rotsky

Edited by Tim Dubya